Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

welding up shotgun ports question

jjw

years ago when my 3 gun shot gun was done 1988-89. porting was o.k. now it illegal in many of the bigger matches. my armorer who is highly trained on all weapons, EXCEPT shot guns. very small part of our work world. hinge busters only, doesnt want to weld the ports closed.. says the 1100 bbl will not take the heat.

does anyone know of a big time shot gun guy here who can do it. i dont want to change bbl's as this was tuned to the reciever by chip mcormack and he ramped the feed ramp. has never JAMMED in 15 or so yrs for me

i cut a bbl to 18 & had it choked great job. doen not shoot slugswell.

would like have my old barrel back to shoot. better barrel. shoots slugs into 4" at 50 yds with factory choke. i shoot a lot fo mustang 3-gun at military private shoots. slugs are a part of all shot gun stages to 50 or so yds

pls throw out what ever u have knowledge/rec of.

tks

jjw

p.s.. can mail or bring to rock castle. do not need it till last week in october for a 3 gun at ft bragg.

Edited by jjw

I think a decent welder could probably pull this off by welding one port at a time and waiting for the barrel to cool completely between each weld. Sure it's going to take a while, but if you avoid heating it up a bunch you should have little or no warpage. If you use a piece of flexible copper with some kind of backing inside the bore there should be minimal clean up, if any, on this inside. Outside is purely cosmetic.

I might try a guy with a TIG and Silicon Bronze. I bet it could be done with minimal damage. Silicon Bronze melts way lower than the steel but bonds with it nicely and flows really well.. .

I'd be curious to see what exactly was "ramped" on an 1100 barrel and wonder what tuning a barrel to a receiver involves.

If there was some kind of magic involved, I'm sure some of the current smiths are capable of installing a new (unported) barrel with equal success...probably for less money than welding up and refinishing the old one.

I have the ports on my 930 covered with shim stock jb weld and use a nordic mag tube clamp to cover it. I was a welder back in the day and I might consider tig welding them with a copper backer as previously mentioned but mine has not moved going on 3 years including a significant number of slugs through a lm choke. Back in the day to beconsidered a "welder"you had to be able to tig a beer can back together (steel) and nicu weld cast iron. If you find a "welder" they could weld them no problem.

I'd get a piece of barrel cutoff, make a plate to cover the ports, then silver solder it on. I've done similar work on a barrel... not to cover a port , but it was basically the same thing work wise.

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread but I thought I would post what I did. I have learned enough to know that this 3-gun sport makes people stupid. A couple of years ago I bought a Mossberg 930 with the 28" ported waterfowl barrel. I then paid to have it cut down to 22" and built it into a nice 3 gun shotgun. It has worked great the last couple of years. This year I went out and bought a 28" barrel and rebuilt the gun as an 11 + 1 long shotgun. Crazy!

I did have to work through the same 'how do you cover the ports so you don't get put into open' question. I came up with a two piece approach. One u-shaped piece of metal slides under the rib above the ports and another spacer slides underneath. Two bolts are used to clamp it into place. I spray painted black so it would not be shiny. See pictures:

RAM_Barrel_Clamp_2.jpg
RAM_Barrel_Clamp_3.jpg
RAM_Barrel_Clamp_4.jpg
It has worked great so far. Thoughts?