Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM 5.25 9mm preferred bullet

Mike750200

I've been searching the forums for a while, please forgive me if this has already been asked.

Does anybody have any preferences for bullet weight in their 9mm 5.25 XDM? Just punching paper for now.

About to place a bulk order for Montana Gold's, wondering if anybody has a preference for 115 vs 124 vs 147. Have access to Bullseye and Hodgdon's Universal Clays powder. Would love some input on a starting load/length.

Thanks,

Mike

I have had great success with Atlanta Arms 115's and 147's.

I have not tried any 124's through it

I usually load Zero 147's, but haven't been able to until I can get some.

But when I do, I will only use Titegroup or HS-6..

I don't have my load data handy, sorry.

Edited by tnpyeron3

I've shot a lot of Precision Delta 124 gr FMJ with reasonable success. I traded a friend for 100 Montana Gold 124 FMJs. The M.G.'s seemed to group well. I load both to an OAL of 1.130". I use Titegroup so I can't help you with load data. Both loads shoot about 1,100 fps.

I recently tried some Precision Delta 124 gr JHP. I loaded them to 1.100" OAL, again with Titegroup. This load had an average velocity of 1,073 fps. These loads shot REALLY well in my 5.25.

I've played with a few 115's. Had acceptable accuracy results but the recoil was a little snappy when loaded to power factor.

I have had great success with Atlanta Arms 115's and 147's.

You can get Atlanta Arms ammo? Props to you; I've never seen anyplace claiming they have any in stock (including Atlanta Arms and Ammo themselves). Any secrets to share?

Oh, and for the OP, my XDm is so far happiest with the 135's from Black Bullets Int'l (but I haven't tried the unicorn-like Atlanta Arms stuff, so I reserve the right to change my mind ;) )

I am a past customer, so all I do is call and they will send me what I need, provided that it is in stock.

I can only get 500 rounds of each type of ammo, so 500 of 147gr and 500 of 115gr and 500 230gr .45.

I understand that they will only sell to past customers or new customers with a brass exchange

I will be trying some 160gr Bayou Bullets(N320 Powder - not sure of how many grains cause i don't load them) and 147gr Lead(Titegroup powder - still not sure cause i stil don't load them)

I will let you know of my results tomorrow after the match.

I shoot more 147 gr. loads than anything else, but the "most accurate" load is this one.

Bullet: Precision Delta 124 gr. JHP
Powder: VihtaVuori N320 3.7 grs.
Primer: Federal 100
Case: Federal
LOAL: 1.115
Average Velocity: 1042.54 fps

14 lb Wolff recoil spring

Edited by pbcaster45

My XDM 5.25 likes MG 124 HPs.

I tried a case of 147s this winter and did not have the same accuracy, but I did not fine tune the loads a lot because I liked the feel of the 124 loads.

+1 for the MG 124 HP's. I use 4.2gr of VV N320 when available or 4.2gr of Ramshot Competition loaded to 1.120 OAL. I get excellent accuracy out of these loads. I really like the Ramshot powder, I get awesome results with it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm currently using several loads from AAA, 115 grain JHP Hornady XTP's or Zero conical JHP, whichever you can get at 1100 fps for Bianchi. They shoot Very well. Like 3-4 inches at 50 yards from prone position. BTW, I can't see the sights too well prone...

Prefer 147's at a 132 pf for USPSA etc. Like the quieter, softer feel and sound of these. They also shoot very well, but haven't tried to do any 50 yard groups lately. Am now out of MG 147 conical tcj bullet. Last batch came with Nornady XTP's. These I can routinely shoot into 3-4 inch 10 shot standing groups at 25. This at my zeroing pace for that distance which is much faster than I would go for just shooting groups. So i'd wager they shoot about the same as 115's. Have not found a jacketed hollow point of any brand or weight that didn't shoot well.

• 2 weeks later...

Not speaking to accuracy, but I prefer 147g at 130pf with 14lb recoil spring or 124g at 138pf with 16lb recoil spring. Regardless of the desired bullet weight, the recoil spring setup should compliment the load to return the sights to the point of ignition.