Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to build open revolver out of?

ihocky2

After some messing around with a revolver I already own, I have decided to give up on that one. It just isn’t going to get the job done.

So I am now in the hunt for a candidate for an open revolver to use mostly for Steel Challenge and occasional ICORE or USPSA at a local practice match (I know I’ll get stomped by the open autos, but it is just for my enjoyment). I have a few thoughts in mind, but having never handled most of the guns and them not being easy to find locally I wanted to get some informed input before venturing too far. My current candidates are a 627, a 327, a 386, a 686+, or a 627 V-Comp.

My first question is, does the 8 shot have any major advantage over the 7 shot. It gives me one more make-up shot, but if I have to go to an 8th shot for a make-up my run wasn’t that good to start with. The 386 is usually not much cheaper than a 627 or 327, but the 686+ or even a 620 can be around half the price. Even with getting it cut for moon clips, it will still be a cheaper start.

How well does the compensator on the V-Comp really work? Would a ported barrel work just as well, or does the compensator offer a little less felt recoil and faster follow up? Would adding porting to the V-Comp barrel make it more effective, kind of like adding poppell holes to an auto’s barrel?

How much of a difference does the weight between them really make. The 386 and 327 should swing faster and transition easier, but all of my revolvers are already stainless and that is what I am used to. The V-Comp should be about the same weight as my 6-1/2” 610, that one is a little slow out of the holster, but the weight really keeps the recoil almost non-existent.

I'm just starting into this venture and am open to any other ideas that I may have missed.

I would go with one of the 8 shot guns, if your only focus is steel chalange you could get way fewer shots but even then its nice to have extra just to let you not think about it, for the other games having less than 8 would be a dissadvantage. I havent shot a V comp but I would suspect that with the minor PF loads it wouldnt do much.

Mike

depends on how hard and fast you pull the trigger. 327 wont hold up long if you shoot very fast or pull the trigger very hard. the alloy frame gets damaged at the cylinder stop opening and the cylinder center pin hole. 627s are tough and fairly light for swing. the comps on any of the factory comp guns don't do much, especially at very low power factor loads. a steel gun will last a long time. lighten the barrel if needed.

Ihocky2...8 is the only way to go. If you want to port, find a second barrel first so you can go back to limited (no ports) if you want.

Ports don't work much with minor loads, but they do something. Think they'd be on Mr. Miculek's guns if they didn't do something?

Thanks for all of the input so far. It sounds like the overwhelming support is for the 8-shot. Though if they do sky rocket in price or become hard to find I may settle for the 7-shot.

As far as porting, I think it depends on the style of porting. My wife has a Taurus that has a ported barrel and even with my 125pf ICORE loads it has noticably less recoil than my 686. If I can find a gunsmith that is taking work, I'll think about the porting.

The nice thing about a V Comp, you can do either. Just make sure the retaining bolt is tight, right Cliff!

For an open gun though, with no restrictions. A good, inventive gunsmith should be able to set it up so the Comp attached to the barrel and would come off without swapping barrels.

gunsgear.ircrevolver.large.jpg

This is interesting, Mr. Miculek uses the end cap instead of the comp and still has his V-comp ported.

I suspect the end cap design was S&Ws response to some state regulations concerning threaded muzzles on handguns.

A local shooter had 627. He was using the factory single-port comp and jacketed ammo. In the middle of the match he suddenly had a very difficult time hitting what he aimed at. A bullet had snagged the end of the comp and bent it. It was still on the barrel but it wasn't helping. Subsequent shots were being deflected by the muzzle device.

Jerry's choice of porting versus the factory comp may, in part, be for reliability.

I have a modified factory comp on my 627 V Comp. The way they come from the factory they don't do much. I am shooting 38 supers in my gun not 38 Specials or short Colts. I also use a modified factory comp on my 627-4 38 Super.

I just run the non ported end cap on my 627's. On my open revo I have 4 inline prts similar to the Schuman but I modified the openings for a venturi for more down pressure. later rdd

That they are Scott. When APEX had my ports cut it was an EDM so the holes were straight. I took a cutting tool , the mechanics use to free up some space on an exhaust or intake ports on an engine. It worked just fine for me. I picked up the design from Gene. Straight ports work a little the cone shaped ones (venturis) work a little better.

I have a modified factory comp on my 627 V Comp. The way they come from the factory they don't do much. I am shooting 38 supers in my gun not 38 Specials or short Colts. I also use a modified factory comp on my 627-4 38 Super.

cimg1665-300x225.jpg

I like what Apex did, opening up Julie's comp.