Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullets

Soonerhawk

I loved Star out Indianapolis, but they are closing their doors. Precision Delta in Mississippi has bought some of their equipment. If they make the same product at a similar price point, I and many midwest shooters would be very interested.

Guest Larry Cazes

vluc and SRT, Why the switch from MG to zero? The MGs are still cheaper in quantity at powder valley, they are very accurate in both mine and my wifes gun, and we get 100% function with a good crimp.

I shoot the MG's in forty and have had great experiences. But I am just moving to open and in researching bullet choices it seems there have been a few people getting a lot of tumbling from the MG's. Some have measured the MG's and found them to be slightly undersized thus the cause of the tumbling. Therefore my first order of 9mm bullets arrived today from Angus and you guessed it Zeroes.

Larry,

Mg's are good bullets. Just have had better consistancy with Zero.

I shoot several sports and tested with many bullets / loads and found that XTP's were the best and Zero's were almost as good at half the cost.

They shoot great in my other pistols too.

Zero includes shipping in the price. Others don't.

Unless you are shooting pure Bullseye, any of the quality manufacturers should give you more than good enough accuracy. The trick is just to see what your guns likes.

But on that note, something we found with MG's is that the cover comes off while shooting - let me explain.

I shot LP 125 Stars forever. My source for those bullets quit carrying them (all before I knew about Star's situation). So I began asking around for a new bullet - everyone I asked was using MG's. During the discussions, we found that when people were shooting 115gr' in an open gun, they were getting a buildup in the comps similar to what you would find when shooting lead. They solved that problem by switching to 124gr. And these bullets were JHP.....so don't ask about lead exposed backs.

I have two open guns and one of the guns gets its C-More lens coated in this gold crap that I have to polish off after every match......and it is ONLY MG bullets that cause this problem.

One of the guys out here pop-riveted a piece of aluminum over his deteriorated blast shield.....come to find out, the reason his blast shield got eroded was because of the gold crap hitting it. Meaning after he put the new cover on, it became gold after its first match.

Does that happen in all guns? No. My backup gun (exact twin of my main gun) doesn't have that problem). My point here is that the MG's shoot great in my gun, but so does Zero, Star, and other quality bullets. Just find the cheapest/easiest obtained bullet that your gun likes......because whether the bullet shoots 2 inch groups or 2.5 inch groups isn't going to change your performance much in IPSC.

rainiers are the best plated bullet. they shoot well out of my glock and anything else i have used them in.

MG are excellent bullets although slightly more costly than rainier.

my current pick (i have a bunch of these now) is the masterblaster 125 grain poly-m bullet. with 4 grains of U clays its really soft shooting and plenty cheap too. For comp guns i would probably use either the hornady HAP or MG 121 IFP.

Hornady XTP is an awesome bullet, extremly accurate and consistent...If i were wealthy, that would be the bullet to use.