Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

want to try idpa , what do i need and to know

cody123

id like to try out some local idpa matchs , what do i need as far as equipment? just a holster and mag pouch ?

i would be using a gen 4 g34 if anyone can make recommendation for a good holster . preferably id like to get one that would be legal in other type of match as well uspsa ,ipsc . some what new to all of this and have a blast . its sole purpose would be for match . ive only done steel change matches so far so this should be a hole different experience

i did a search and the thread that came up was from 2005 for g34 idpa holster so im sure new product have came out

thanks for any recommendations and incite into idpa.

Edited by cody123

For IDPA you normally will need an on the waistband holster, three magazines, carriers for two mags, and some kind of concealment garment like a vest or jacket.

www.comp-tac.com is a good one if you want to buy direct from them but there are many others like bladetec etc.

Cody123,

First off welcome to the forum. Second look this over http://www.idpa.com/ read all you can then find a match that is local to you and go introduce yourself to some of the shooters let them know that you are looking to start with the sport and ask all the questions you have most are willing to share all they can. Hope this helps.

When you sign up, tell them that you are a 'New Shooter'. They will normally assign you to a squad with an experienced SO who will 'kind of coach you' through things. Some clubs actually have a New Shooter squad to ease you into the game.

If your equipment is not quite 'up to snuff' most clubs will overlook it for your first match and recommend proper equipment.

If you, and they, realize that you are "new" ... and that this match is a learning experience, you'll do well.... have fun... and learn.

I've been a IDPA SO since 2007 and have run a lot of New Shooters. Just tell them that you're New. and let them kinda guide you through things. You'll have fun and meet some nice people.

When you sign up, tell them that you are a 'New Shooter'. They will normally assign you to a squad with an experienced SO who will 'kind of coach you' through things. Some clubs actually have a New Shooter squad to ease you into the game.

If your equipment is not quite 'up to snuff' most clubs will overlook it for your first match and recommend proper equipment.

If you, and they, realize that you are "new" ... and that this match is a learning experience, you'll do well.... have fun... and learn.

I've been a IDPA SO since 2007 and have run a lot of New Shooters. Just tell them that you're New. and let them kinda guide you through things. You'll have fun and meet some nice people.

Good point!

At our club,we actually have a new shooter briefing and we actually have the new shooters demonstrate safe gun handling . New shooters are required to fire three shots under the direction of a SO. This way they hear the commands and the SO can verify their gun handling skills, its easier than pissing someone off and having to DQ a new shooter trying the sport for the first time.

Quite pleased with Ready tactical also use for my ESP Trojan and SSP 34. That said take what you have to a match even use a shirt for a cover garment. Our club has a few old vest stored in case someone forgets or a new shooter comes in. Check the match out have a good time I'm sure most will go out of their way to help, new shooters are welcome. Be sure you enjoy the game before spending money on equipment.