Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Mag Well

dmd6x

I have a 5" Kimber Custom TLE / RL II that I use for 3gun, IDPA, USPSA, etc. I am thinking about putting an extended mag well on it. If money isn't an issue, what's the best mag well for that gun?

Techwell xt

I like the looks of the techwell but you have to buy their grips as well

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

@bigdawgbeav, if you're handy with a dremel, you can buy just the TechWell and then mill the required recess in the grip panels of your choice. I think there's thread about the milling process either in this forum or the Gunsmithing forum.

@OP, I have S&A, the Dawson gap and the SV.

The S&A is the lowest profile and one piece msh/magwell

The Dawson is two piece aluminum and nice because you can replace the insert when it gets beat up.

The SV is two piece and available in aluminum/carbon/stainless and has no insert

If low profile is a consideration, I'd do the S&A.

If weight is a consideration, the Dawson.

Pure game gun? the SV in stainless.

The frame has .300" removed from the bottom like the Heinie/Chen type mag wells. The grips have the back cut out for the mounting tabs and then beveled to match the outside taper of the well. I like a mag well to have a funnel type profile, most have a flat and wide profile that don't help the mag to go in. They will be available as soon as the machine shop gets around to making them.

Rich

Edited by RIIID

So if you buy the Techwell, the grips are the only thing that is holding it to the gun? I am leaning toward the S&A since it is less cost and with the mainspring housing attached, more secure. Plus no milling or new grips.

I am using the gun primarily for carry and occasional competition. I have the Dawson on my competition gun and like it.

C.

Edited by clintv

So if you buy the Techwell, the grips are the only thing that is holding it to the gun?

Yes, the setup is very secure though. PS- Robbie used one of theirs, I believe he still does. (Only mentioned because if it was not secure he would not use it.)

I like the way Rich's (RIIID) looks, however I would like a little more base pad exposed. Personal preference.

I like the Dawson GAP Magwell. didn't have to replace all my basepads on the Wilson ETM magazines like I would have had to with a Gapless.

If you miss a reload with the Dawson, something is very wrong. That thing is HUGE and there is no way I would use that on a carry gun.