Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which fiber-optic front is best. Henning, EAA or Dawson

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Henning and Dawson are similar, but I found the Dawson ones to be non-optimal height.

The EAA one is a wider, fatter sight and most people prefer the narrower one for quick shooting.

i really like the .100 w .160 tall Dawson on ALL my Iron sighted Tanfos w/ adj supersights... make sure to add a drop of red or blue loctite to make sure it stays on..

Edited by ogiebb

Which Dawson? I purchased the smallest one which I think is .125". That is real close to the measurement I get on the stock Match black front.

It looks like Dawson has a lot more height options now. I had the .215" and it was too high. I they used to only offer the .215 and the .160

I'd like to try the Henning out. I had the Eric Grauffel sight and I really bugged it up to hell trying to get it on because it didn't want to fit. I ended up gouging the front really bad and the metal dovetail was badly deformed as it slid into the slot. I guess Im an idiot because I thought it would fit in with some coaxing. I didn't realize filing metal down was necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Shorter the better! I have found with the EAA pieces the rear sight has to be cranked up to an extreme level to hit right.

Are you using a 6'oclock hold or covering the target?

I've had the same issue with the factory sights on one as well. Shot way low even when I held the sights to cover the target. Also had to crank the rear sight blade significantly to the side.

Edited by rebsimeanblackbears

I had a Dawson's on my Limited Match, I had to crank up the rear sight a lot as well. The Dawson's fit was way too loose and actually flew off during a match. And yes I had a gunsmith install it since getting the EAA sight off was a real bear. I managed to destroy the punch that came with the Dawson's before I took it the gunsmith.

I installed a Henning's front FO and fixed rear sight. I did it myself and was worried about screwing it up, but with a six o'clock hold it's spot on without any adjustments from the initial install. Henning was also super helpful on the phone with both the install and the order. I'm really, really happy with the Henning's.

• 3 weeks later...

I also went through this issue with Dawson. I went with the .160T/.100W and had to elevate the rear sight about halfway to get a PoA/PoI. I like a 6 o'clock hold on my 1911's, but not with this gun.

My front sight also flew off while shooting it, even though it tapped in very snug. A counter-sink under the allen head screw and copious amounts of loctite fixed the issue.

The sight fits flush with the end of the slide on my Match.

Dawson's latest run of sights for the EAA line has moved the locking screw from the middle position to the rear to match where the factory sight screws in, eliminating the need to drill your own dimple.

That _should_ eliminate the problem with sights flying off (I experienced the same thing, but it was my first crack at sight installation, and I screwed it up pretty bad). The new sight also fits flush on the end.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the stock height and width on a Stock 2 is? Also, is the stock front sight set up for POI or 6 O'clock hold? I have a Stock 2 on the way and i know absolutely nothing about these guns. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Nealio:

Are you suggesting that the aluminum Dawson's are too soft compared to the hard stainless of the Henning and that is part of the reason that shooters are having problems installing/retaining the Dawsons on their guns?

Nealio:

Are you suggesting that the aluminum Dawson's are too soft compared to the hard stainless of the Henning and that is part of the reason that shooters are having problems installing/retaining the Dawsons on their guns?

I think its more of operator error. I had significant issues with my first two Dawson sights. After I figured it all out thanks to the folks here, I have no issues with the Dawsons installed. On top of the the newly designed Dawson I installed on a third gun was even easier and its more solid.