Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Separate gun case for air travel?

I have found a lot of threads with information about traveling with a pistol and how to pack. But I would like your opinion concerning if you think it is better to put a locked case inside your checked bag or to use a separate checked bag.

If you put it inside your normal checked bag, there is less chance of somebody knowing it is there, but I noticed that if you do that you need to sign a conditional liability form.

If you keep it separate, then people might be able to identify it has expensive items in the case.

What is your experience on this matter? I know you pay more for a second bag, but it will cost you even more if your first bag goes over-weight.

thanks

Locked case inside checked bag. One of the "mini-vaults" that can be secured to the interior framework of the checked bag with the included cable works well.

This +1.

When I went to area 1 it was the first time I'd ever flown with a pistol. I liked this "belt and suspenders" approach and it seemed to work fine.

Locked case inside checked bag. One of the "mini-vaults" that can be secured to the interior framework of the checked bag with the included cable works well.

+1. I had two pistols and a case stolen from IAH in Houston several years ago. Locked case inside a checked bag is much more anonymous.

• 3 weeks later...

Same set up here. Locked case cable locked to the interior frame of a big checked bag. NIce and anonymous once it clears TSA, and too big to swipe or hide for the really nosy/dishonest who might look inside in baggage handling. I use my range bag (small SC) as a carry on, with all the gun stuff stowed in the checked bag. If you do the same, plan on emptying that sucker out to check every pocket, nook and cranny, and under the removable base pad of the main compartment for stray rounds before going the the airport both coming and going (the horror stories I've heard...).

Last time I went to nationals, I put my pistol case inside my suitcase, as others here have said. I also checked my range bag (large shooters connection bag) with all my other shooting related stuff (mags, ammo, etc).

Everything arrived in one piece, but I did get a notice that my range bag was opened and inspected by TSA.

Steve

I fly with handguns fairly frequently. I always just put them in soft gun rugs and toss them in my lockable hard-sided Samsonite suitcase along with my clothes, toiletries, and up to 11 pounds of ammo in plastic snap-top boxes.

There is no need for an inner hard gun case in this scenario because the entire suitcase is the hard gun case.

I found this photo on the internet--my own Samsonite is larger and black.

post-4033-0-11765400-1375060536_thumb.jp

Edited by Carmoney

If you do the same, plan on emptying that sucker out to check every pocket, nook and cranny, and under the removable base pad of the main compartment for stray rounds before going the the airport both coming and going (the horror stories I've heard...).

Yep I found a stray 300 WSM round in my carry on bag AFTER I got to my destination - oops.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to be opposite of everyone here. I use a huge pelican case, that I lock. Inside it is all my clothes and gear and such. Inside it in a locked, hard case is my pistol. I could care less about the bag fees. Two hard cases, two locks.

• 2 months later...

I ended up using a large Pelican case setup to hold 2 pistols, holster, magazine holders, ear protection, glasses, and 300 rounds of ammo. <br /><br />Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk<br /><br />