Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M2 Slug Accuracy

Fathead302

I went to check accuracy in my new Benelli M2 26" with slugs, and found that they were all shooting consistently left. I was using an IPSC cardboard target and aiming for a dot I drew right in the middle of it.

With Remington Sluggers:

25 Yards - 6" high, and on the left A/C line

50 Yards - height was right on, but were hitting on the left side of the D zone

100 Yards - I had to aim at the far right side of the target to get them to even hit the cardboard on the left side of the D zone.

Fiocci low recoils shot much better, but were still shooting left.

Is there anything that can be done to help bring the POA and POI back into line or do I just need to know my holds?

Get Benny Hill or Steve Rose to bend the barrel or have sights (XS rear, Dawson front) and hope there is enough adjustment to get your POI over. Contact one of them and they will help out and they both are good guys, fast turn around times, and reasonable prices.

I went to check accuracy in my new Benelli M2 26" with slugs, and found that they were all shooting consistently left. I was using an IPSC cardboard target and aiming for a dot I drew right in the middle of it.

With Remington Sluggers:

25 Yards - 6" high, and on the left A/C line

50 Yards - height was right on, but were hitting on the left side of the D zone

100 Yards - I had to aim at the far right side of the target to get them to even hit the cardboard on the left side of the D zone.

Fiocci low recoils shot much better, but were still shooting left.

Is there anything that can be done to help bring the POA and POI back into line or do I just need to know my holds?

You could just add some Hi Viz sights and adjust them as needed for whatever you're shooting.

http://www.hivizsights.com/products/shotgun-sights/four-in-one.html

I had my brand new Versa Max to Benny Hill, it went all through it and also bent the barel. It shoots dead on at 50 yds. and takes very little correction out to 100. It is in my humble opinion the very best way to handle a great shotgun.

Happy 4th

:bow:

Barrel bending is fairly easy. Just find a nice solid tree or telephone pole and take it slow. Jesse had a nice video of him wacking his barrel on a tree. My Mossberg took a few trips back and forth from the firing line to the nearest telephone pole before it shot POA. Yes, you do have to remove the barrel each time.

Barrel bending is fairly easy. Just find a nice solid tree or telephone pole and take it slow. Jesse had a nice video of him wacking his barrel on a tree. My Mossberg took a few trips back and forth from the firing line to the nearest telephone pole before it shot POA. Yes, you do have to remove the barrel each time.

Do you have a link to this video? I dont think I have the chutzpah to be smacking my barrel against a tree. Luckily, I had access to an extra 26" barrel that shot slugs well in practice prior to the shotgun match this past weekend. I will work on fixing the inaccurate one at a later date.

Far more critical is the interface between the mag tube collar and the barrel ring. Almost as important is the squareness of the mag tube to receiver. There have been way too many barrels "wacked" that never should have been wacked! It has led to ribs popping off the barrel and a couple of ruined barrels. I admire the aggression that it takes to smack a barrel on a tree, but very seldom is it needed if you fit the barrel to the receiver and the mag tube to the barrel ring and the mag tube collar.

Far more critical is the interface between the mag tube collar and the barrel ring. Almost as important is the squareness of the mag tube to receiver. There have been way too many barrels "wacked" that never should have been wacked! It has led to ribs popping off the barrel and a couple of ruined barrels. I admire the aggression that it takes to smack a barrel on a tree, but very seldom is it needed if you fit the barrel to the receiver and the mag tube to the barrel ring and the mag tube collar.

Do you have any tips for checking/fixing the interface and squareness that an end user such as myself can do, or is this something better left to a competent gunsmith?

I am designing a jig for this very thing. The problem is, as of right now the " competent gunsmiths " are the ones wacking barrels on phone poles and trees. Too many times we know what to do about things, without really understanding why things do what they do, which leads to lots of wacking. :)

At my age, I might want to wack a barrel on a pole sometimes or I could just use your head kurt as I know it's hard enough.

I love it when you two guys get going. Lets throw Jesse in the mix!

Edited by roxymajor

I am designing a jig for this very thing. The problem is, as of right now the " competent gunsmiths " are the ones wacking barrels on phone poles and trees. Too many times we know what to do about things, without really understanding why things do what they do, which leads to lots of wacking. :)

Might be cheaper than the 50, ? slugs you need when bending.

He'll I got lumps all over my head from Benny....especially when he says that will remind you not to do that again!

Jesse hasn't given me any lumps, but I know he's like to try.. Don't worry Benny I am going to call you and let you in on what I have found out....and quit wackin those barrels!

I've checked my dog, "mag tube's" collar and its still on him but it still didn't help the accuracy of the SG, and the ring from the barrel is what I'd call a Hi A maybe a Hi B tone, so how does all this interface wacking help??? And when you say receiver, you mean retriever right cuz mag tube is a labrador retriever and he's more round than anything when I checked him for squareness.

:goof: Trapr

My Benelli M2 shot about the same amount high and around 3-4" to the left. Without my mag tube extension or a barrel clamp on the gun, I put the end of the barrel in the ground, receiver in my left hand, and right foot on the side of the barrel....a little pressing with weight, trying to not overdue it. Did this once and the left to right was hitting dead center now. I added a HiViz Tri-Comp front sight and it brought my POI down to dead on at 50 yards.

I harmed no trees in this experiment and filled the dent in the ground per golf course rules.

Disclaimer: I am not a trained gunsmith, just someone who couldn't afford to send my M2 to someone who is. Do what I did at your own risk......although the front sight was a little screw and some gel type superglue, if you screw that up...put your helmet back on and go back to your padded room, an orderly will bring you your medication.

Well no one believed Copernicus either! Get to bending the hell out of those STRAIGHT barrels! You all have convinced me that the world is FLAT. There is absolutely no reason not to bend your barrel to make up for an entirely different problem that is real easy to fix. WACK!!!!