Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Gen for an Open Glock?

bulldog009

As the title suggests, if you were to start an open Glock from scratch, would you build it on a Gen 3 G17 or a Gen 4 G17, and why? I'm starting to get serious about putting together an open Glock, so I'm beginning the search for the base gun, I just want to know which Gen I should be looking for. I prefer the Gen 4 for the grip, but if it would be better to build on a Gen 3, I suppose I could always get the grip reduced. Thanks!

I ordered my open gun using a 4th gen G17 core.
When it comes down to it, Both versions will work. If you want a Gen 3 style recoil spring and uncaptured guide rod, just get a reducer ring.

http://www.glockworx.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=923132&CAT=3689

With this ring you can use any Gen 3 uncaptured titanium guiderod and an ISMI spring of your choice. The factory spring is the most significant core upgrade to the Gen 4. If you want to go uncaptured and want the widest variety of aftermarket parts that have been tested with time: Gen 3.

Few things to consider. Are you a lefty? Gen 4 for the ambidextrous mag release.

Are you getting stippling? No? Gen 4 for the more aggressive factory stippling. Yes? Either will work.

Some will tell you that the Gen 4 is unreliable because of an issue with the captured recoil spring back in 2011. That issue has since been resolved. Get the version that's available at your local small gun shop and at a price you feel is mutually fair.

Edited: Grammar.

Edited by Fureio

• 2 weeks later...

G2 g22 are every were and cheap to buy, add a 9mm 40 conversion barrel.Gen 2 have no finger groves, making stippling easy. and the 9mm conversion barrel is a thicker heavy barrelattachicon.gif20130406_114142.jpg

I've seen this done and the shooter also liked that the thicker barrel was heavier adding some more mass on the front end of the gun. It was fun to shoot. Something to consider.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I've decided to go with a Gen 3 G17. I don't know yet if I'm going to turn it into an open platform yet. I may work it up to that one day. I think I may start with small improvements like a Zev grip reduction and silicone carbide grip package, a Zev heavy brass magwell, a Zev Fulcrum trigger kit, get new sights, a few extended mags and use it as a new 3 Gun pistol for a while. Then in the future I might mount a C-More on her.