Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caliber selection

CaptRob

I just bought a STI open gun to use for steel matches. The previous owner cut the break off, so I am going to have to have a new barrel/break installed. Since I am going to have to re barrel I can go ahead and change calibers so I was wondering if I should stay with the 38 SC or switch to one of the other popular choices.

38 S/SC in my opinion not the "best way" to go. I have owned and shot multiple 38 S/SC guns. My 9 major gun shoots just as well if not better. What it comes down to is how good is the builder, and how effective is your ammo??

I have a friend that owns a LimCat, it came in 38SC, he sent it back and had it chambered in 9 major. The gun shoots tons better in 9 then it ever did in 38.

I have a Cheely built 9 major gun, shoots extremely well. I have 5-6 powders that will make major very easily. With both 124's & 115's.

I don't think that's a bad idea at all.the powder choices these days make it much easier and safer to achieve. Brass prices are the only real cost difference between 9 and super. I buy once fired super brass for around $80per k. 9 can be had for a bit less.

I recently ordered a 9mm open pistol. When I talked with Matt Burkett about it, he asked me what caliber I wanted. I told him 9mm and he asked me why.

When I started really thinking about an open gun, I toyed with the idea of 9mm vs 38 Super vs 38 SC. I have friends who shoot all of them. In the end I decided to go with 9mm Major. The reason why (and what I told Matt) is that I'm already heavily invested in 9mm and I don't want to reinvest in a 38 Super/SC set up. I have most of a 5-gallon bucket of 9mm brass and can get more. I have 9mm dies already set up for my press (just ordered a seating/crimp die for Major loads). I'm used to loading 9mm.

If I went with 38 Super/SC, I'd have to invest in a completely new die setup (I know many manufacturers make dies for 9mm and the 38 calibers, but I don't want to mess with my Production setup because I shoot 9mm Minor for fun) and then buy a bunch of brass. I'm already going to have to buy bullets and new powder. Adding brass to the mix would mean I wouldn't be able to shoot as much.

In a 1911/2011 style pistol, longer is generally better, so the 38 Super and SC have a reputation for feeding and functioning more reliably. I've seen instances of all three calibers puking at matches, but I tend to see the 38 caliber guns do it less. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd call Matt and tell him I'd like the pistol built in 38 Super and buy a 1050 with a Ponsess drive, call Starline and tell them I want 5000 cases (and wait six months, probably) and be done with it.

But I'm not banking on that.

You made the right choice in my opinion. If 9mm guns are built right and you feed them well made ammo they are just as reliable as anything out there. Matt Cheely built mine and it has never "puked". I'm sure the other Matt can do the same for you

I buy once fired super brass for around $80per k. 9 can be had for a bit less.

In some cases - up to 10 times less.

I am trying to figure this out, I just bought an open gun in 38 super and if brass is that cheap it may be worthwhile having a 9mm barrel fitted, or changing my extractor/mags to run 9 through my barrel. Where do you find 9mm brass for $8 per K? Or even if you buy new starline 38 SC, where could you get 9mm brass for $14 per K?

I am trying to figure this out, I just bought an open gun in 38 super and if brass is that cheap it may be worthwhile having a 9mm barrel fitted, or changing my extractor/mags to run 9 through my barrel. Where do you find 9mm brass for $8 per K? Or even if you buy new starline 38 SC, where could you get 9mm brass for $14 per K?

Targetmaster on DE/PA border sells it for $10 a box, and sometimes the box contains 1200-1300 cases.

The 9 mm open gun is just as reliable as the 38 S or SC if it is built by a competent gunsmith. There are plenty of powders to load 9 major also. I have owned and shot both 9 mm major and 38 SC open guns and will not go back to SC.

The 9 mm open gun is just as reliable as the 38 S or SC if it is built by a competent gunsmith. There are plenty of powders to load 9 major also. I have owned and shot both 9 mm major and 38 SC open guns and will not go back to SC.

Why won't you go back to 38?

You made the right choice in my opinion. If 9mm guns are built right and you feed them well made ammo they are just as reliable as anything out there. Matt Cheely built mine and it has never "puked". I'm sure the other Matt can do the same for you

Thanks, I think so, too.

I have buds who shoot both, and have heard both sides of the coin. One friend of mine, who's been shooting since the single-stack .45 with a comp using lead bullet days, said he thinks anyone who's already invested in 9mm is not terribly bright to go with a Super/SC, unless they're independently wealthy. He shoots a Super and we had some pretty long discussions. He's actually the guy whose opinion pushed me more toward a 9mm than the guys I know who are currently shooting 9mm.

Targetmaster on DE/PA border sells it for $10 a box, and sometimes the box contains 1200-1300 cases.
Or just hang around after a match or sign up to help with a major and you can get free 9mm

Brass. I scrap the 38 brass that I pick up by mistake.