Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caliber selection

CaptRob

At my locals Ian typically the only 9MAJOR shooter so I know what I am picking up. Heck I have loaded some if my brass more than half a dozen times inI MAJOR. But yes, there are a few guys around here running 9 that I would not reload their brass

At my locals Ian typically the only 9MAJOR shooter so I know what I am picking up. Heck I have loaded some if my brass more than half a dozen times inI MAJOR. But yes, there are a few guys around here running 9 that I would not reload their brass

True, but some of that 9mm brass will be multiple-fired 9mm Major.

As long as you check it, what's the issue?

If you're worried, get a U-die and run that.

No offense, but those kinds of questions are what worries me about guys loading 9MAJOR. Some guys load it until it is literally on the ragged edge of being safe. That brass probably is being stressed to near the point of failure as it is. Reloading it just piles on more stress. A Udie sizes brass smaller than normal so it adds even more stress to the equation in my opinion. I use one but I load with WAC which seems to be a little less stressful to the overall load

Not to muddy the waters more, but I have heard from more than one 9 Major shooter that they use brass several times, then take it to the match and leave it there. I only use once-fired brass in matches, but that seems to be less than common.

Or just hang around after a match or sign up to help with a major and you can get free 9mm

Brass. I scrap the 38 brass that I pick up by mistake.

You could send it to me... I would give it a good home.

(I have and shoot a 38SC, built when the 9mm Major was still being worked out, it has been flawless. Too expensive to switch right now with other projects going on. New barrel and comp plus fitting unless I did it, would not be worth it right now, and I have about 3 - 4000 SC cases right now.) (I have about 3 - 4000 9mm cases also, will be using those for production.) Now I need more bullets... :angry2:

(I have and shoot a 38SC, built when the 9mm Major was still being worked out, it has been flawless. Too expensive to switch right now with other projects going on. New barrel and comp plus fitting

No change is usually required in order to shot 9mm in a 38SC gun.

and I have about 3 - 4000 SC cases right now

Another sure sign somebody is a 38 guy is when they talk about brass in the thousands. I have around 40,000 9mm brass on hand and have not picked any up this year hardly at all.

Not to muddy the waters more, but I have heard from more than one 9 Major shooter that they use brass several times, then take it to the match and leave it there. I only use once-fired brass in matches, but that seems to be less than common.

I'm one of those shooters. I've loaded 9 major brass up to 7-8 times and the brass still looked like it would go at least several more reloadings. Based on that, I load the same batch of brass anywhere from 3-5 times for practice and then shoot it in a match and leave it.

We have spoke about the caliber for many days. Everyone is right. So I will give you my opinion . It is the caliber ,yes,but it is really the gunsmith. I have both 38 Super Open guns and 9mm Major. All of them do not jam. Find a good gunsmith. There are many I will not mention who they are. If you check this web you will find some great gunsmiths.Good Luck.

Have a 2011 with two top ends, 38SC & 9mm. Shoot 38SC when brass can be picked up, otherwise shoot 9mm for loss brass. Rather shoot 38SC, but can't bring myself to leaving the brass, too expensive.