Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S1050 Indexes Too Far (Now With Video)

I'm not sure if this is normal but I can advance myS1050 shell plate without moving the handle, just by turning it with my hand. The problem is if I pull the handle too hard it will index a little too advanced and not line up. Any suggestions?

Edited by dan46n2

Tighten it down just a little more.

Tighten what, the shellplate? I tried that, still does it. Also is it supposed to index freely without pulling the handle if you try to advance the shellplate by hand?

Edited by dan46n2

I tried tightening the lockring to the shell plate down until it gets too hard to turn then backed it off a little. That helps but it still indexes too far if I pull the handle fast enough. Maybe I got a weak spring that goes to the ball the shellplate indexes off of? Or is there another indexing adjustment I can make?

Edited by dan46n2

Under the press in the back there is a bar that moves the shell plate each time the handle is pulled. There could be your issue. Make sure the spring on it is still there, and that the bar is lubed and moving freely. If not you may have a broken part or parts.

If you cannot find the parts I am talking about, you can find them in your 1050 manual.

Hope this will help.

I tried tightening the lockring to the shell plate down until it gets too hard to turn then backed it off a little. That helps but it still indexes too far if I pull the handle fast enough. Maybe I got a weak spring that goes to the ball the shellplate indexes off of? Or is there another indexing adjustment I can make?

Try and check if that ball is stuck in the down position.

When my shell plate rotates too far, I find it is because that ball is stuck in the down position.

Under the press in the back there is a bar that moves the shell plate each time the handle is pulled. There could be your issue. Make sure the spring on it is still there, and that the bar is lubed and moving freely. If not you may have a broken part or parts.

If you cannot find the parts I am talking about, you can find them in your 1050 manual.

Hope this will help.

I looked at those parts and they seem to be ok, not sure what spring you are talking about but it doesnt look like anything is broken.

Try and check if that ball is stuck in the down position.

When my shell plate rotates too far, I find it is because that ball is stuck in the down position.

Mine indexed too far when the spring was weak and the ball stuck down.

I think the spring is weak but I'm not sure, heres a video I made of what its doing (hard to hold an Ipad and work the press at the same time when the ratchet mechanism wants to jam):

Edited by dan46n2

You could try a thicker viscosity grease between the shellplate and the lock ring but it looks like its working fine unless you push/snap the crank back too fast. The first stroke in the vid looks to be about the right speed and the shell plate indexes correctly. The subsequent strokes are all very quick/too snappy. You can crank very quickly as long as you slow down slightly right before the stop on the upstroke.

I'm not out running the Casefeeder which I can do with my 650. In the video Im overdoing it a bit to show what it does. I have to be very aware of how quick I move the handle up or it will misalign, it doesn't seem like the press was intended to be made like this. Even if I raise the handle up very slowly, if I snap it back just a little too much in the last few inches of travel it will over index. There has to he a solution for this, it shouldn't be that sensitive?

Edited by dan46n2

look between the last two stations there is a little ball bearing that has a spring under it. With the shell plate at station take a little screw driver and poke the bearing from the bottom, there is a hole on the bottom of the press under the ball bearing. See if it pops up. Sometimes a little piece of crud gets in there and

holds the ball down.

I tried that with the ball bearing and it seems to be at full extension on the spring. Interestingly I did a google search and someone has the exact same problem on ARFCOM at the link below. I also called Dillon and they suggested the same things, check the ball, tighten the lockring both of which Ive already tried. They also said to check the index pawl set screw which I am going to do tonight when I get home, but it indexes fine if the upstroke is done gently. Dillon said if those don't work to call again and send them the video. I see guys whaling on their 1050s on youtube, there has to be a fix.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/395181_New_Dillon_1050_over_indexing_on_fast_hard_up_strokes___Other_thoughts_questions_.html

Edited by dan46n2

You could try a thicker viscosity grease between the shellplate and the lock ring but it looks like its working fine unless you push/snap the crank back too fast. The first stroke in the vid looks to be about the right speed and the shell plate indexes correctly. The subsequent strokes are all very quick/too snappy. You can crank very quickly as long as you slow down slightly right before the stop on the upstroke.

Right. You learn a "slow down" move right at the very end, that's almost imperceptible, but is there enough to do the trick.

Check the indexer stop screw. I had to adjust mine because it was not indexing far enough. The manual does not show or cover this.

There is an adjustment at the left rear of the press.

I tried that with the ball bearing and it seems to be at full extension on the spring. Interestingly I did a google search and someone has the exact same problem on ARFCOM at the link below. I also called Dillon and they suggested the same things, check the ball, tighten the lockring both of which Ive already tried. They also said to check the index pawl set screw which I am going to do tonight when I get home, but it indexes fine if the upstroke is done gently. Dillon said if those don't work to call again and send them the video. I see guys whaling on their 1050s on youtube, there has to be a fix.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/395181_New_Dillon_1050_over_indexing_on_fast_hard_up_strokes___Other_thoughts_questions_.html

This is the part I was telling you about earlier in this threas. I had the problem new out of the box. The spring attached to the index bar was also missing so once I fixed these issue all was back to normal. Best of luck.

Success!!! Finally I got it to work. So I tried to tighten the lockring more and more, and it was obvious it was too tight but it did help the problem a little. Well I found that set screw at the back left side of the press, its hidden by one of the locator tab pins and adjusted it to have the screw go deeper to the middle of the press and the problem went away. I loosened up the lock ring to the factory setting of 1/8 turn before full tightness and it works perfect. I can go as fast as I want and it won't over index. Thanks for the help guys!

Edited by dan46n2

Mr. Morris, thanks a ton for that pic, I had no idea that was even there. Now could you perhaps explain the custom addition that we see there?????? I see you've powered your RL1050. I'm assuming you've cut the base so that it can just keep going and going???????

wait a minute, so that's a Super 1050???? did you replace the linkage with an offset bearing? I was under the impression the Supers couldn't be converted to gear drive, just the Ponses Warren (sp) one. But knowing how you make stuff, I guess anything is possible,