Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 brass for reloading

perazzisc3

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not everyone uses new brass for major matches--at least level II matches I've worked.Ive picked up some grubby looking stuff some time.Looks like the open guys use the better looking brass or nickle .

Most of mine comes from ACME in Wisconsin.$22.00 for 500, $44.00 for 1k or $85.00 for 2000 of once fired mostly Federal/Speer and Winchester. They come clean with a few extra thrown in for good measure. I use once fired for major and what I can pick up for practice rounds.

For Major Matches Level II & III I use RP Nickle Cases, Pushed Thru Sized, Deprimed, Trimmed to .840, Flash Hole Resized and then Wet Tumbled, Primed with Federal Match Grade Small Pistol Primers, Ramshot Comp and a BBI Bullet then each is barrel checked. Lots of extra work but I have nothing better to do sometimes. I know for a fact I won't have an issue with ammo.

• 3 weeks later...

Most of mine comes from ACME in Wisconsin.$22.00 for 500, $44.00 for 1k or $85.00 for 2000 of once fired mostly Federal/Speer and Winchester. They come clean with a few extra thrown in for good measure. I use once fired for major and what I can pick up for practice rounds.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Hey Gang

Another headstamp to look for and avoid is GFL. I have no idea what brand loads this brass, but, inside the case, AFTER firing there is some kind of sticky goo in there, which causes dry tumbler media to get clogged up in there. This may not be a problem for you dudes that are using the ultra-sonic cleaners. But, it sucks with a traditional dry media tumbler.

Just my .02

Smitty

my 650 run into problems only with federal brass marked ''NT'' for ''non toxic'' as the primers are crimped . seating a new primer in those is nearly impossible unless the primer pocket is reamed.

all other stamps runs smoothly ,while I try to avoid sellier bellot brass too for the same issue while not as problematic ; I can seat Winchester primers in them with a little more pressure on the lever as they're harder than federal .

Another forum vendor, Shooters Source has .40 for about $36 shipped if you buy the big flat rate box. I have used a lot of brass from Jeremy and it has always been ready to load!

Later,

Chuck

So that's 1000 rounds nickel 35 shipped? Gimme the link plz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Bowenbuilt... Hi buddy. I did just buy some 9mm brass from Blamtech. Max seems like a good guy and his service was excellent. The 3000 I ordered all came nice and shiny and look ready to reload. I received the brass in only a couple of days after I ordered, so if anyone else needs some I would give them a try.

On another note, I finally got to try out some of that e3 I got last fall and so far I kind of like the stuff for mid-velocity 9mm loads with 124grn bullets. In the next few days I will be trying to determine if the new SNS coated 124grn bullet is even less smoky with e3 than it is with their regular 124 RN lead bullet.

@Bowenbuilt... Hi buddy. I did just buy some 9mm brass from Blamtech. Max seems like a good guy and his service was excellent. The 3000 I ordered all came nice and shiny and look ready to reload. I received the brass in only a couple of days after I ordered, so if anyone else needs some I would give them a try.

On another note, I finally got to try out some of that e3 I got last fall and so far I kind of like the stuff for mid-velocity 9mm loads with 124grn bullets. In the next few days I will be trying to determine if the new SNS coated 124grn bullet is even less smoky with e3 than it is with their regular 124 RN lead bullet.

How did the inside of the cases look? Were they as clean as the outside of the cases? Any crimped primer pockets? Mostly USA made brass or alot of foreign brass?

• 3 weeks later...

I have witnessed Fiocchi brass blow out the bottom on 3 occasions(all in Glocks) with bullets that had been loaded by 3 experienced people none of whom were out to make major. It was at an indoor range so we were able to find 2 case heads. Out of curiosity I split a piece of Fiocchi and Federal brass. It was obvious why the Fiocchi blew up in a Glock as the Fiocchi case was much thinner in the unsupported area above the feed ramp. The fun goes out of it when the magazine blows out the bottom of your gun.

I would not have believed you could get the extractor out of a Glock without taking the gun apart but it was gone. We found it and to Glocks credit the extractor was undamaged.

Just passing the experience on.

Another forum vendor, Shooters Source has .40 for about $36 shipped if you buy the big flat rate box. I have used a lot of brass from Jeremy and it has always been ready to load!

Later,

Chuck

I also ordered a large box from here a while ago. A few .357 sig and 10mm snuck in there, so inspect that stuff before dumping it into the case feeder. The variety of .357 sig has been particularly troubling b/c if I miss it, when the sizing die punches out the primer, the primer pocket was so tight on a few that it ripped my de-priming pin right out of the die!

Just Some Guy,

I don't think you will see any smoke using the coated bullets. I don't as long as I load them at 3.6 or better. At 3.8 e3 gets super clean and consistent with the 124/125 grain bullets. Glad you had a good experience. I still haven't found anything I like better for minor 9, minor .40, major .40 and major .45. One powder doing everything except 9 major is pretty neat.

I'm trying to remember the last time I bought .40 brass. It was a long, long time ago. From before I figured out there was tons of the stuff sitting on the floor of the range I used free for the picking up. I have no favorite brand.

• 1 month later...

I scrap Amerc and S&B....heard too many bad things about those two brands.

I do not like S&B rifle brass, that's for sure. I have a Lee Enfield in .303 Brit. It has had about five case separations. You might think it's the rifle, but every single separation has been S&B brass. No other headstamped brass has ever separated in it. And this was NOT just one production run of S&B, it was many cases collected and traded for over a few years. I don't have too much S&B pistol brass, but don't recall them giving me any special problems. But I'm going to toss any .303 S&B cases I have left after I shoot them.

Edited by gandog56