Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 brass for reloading

perazzisc3

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with range brass is you don't know if it was shot by Glocks and may have the infamous "Glock smilies" on them. I run all 40 cal and 10mmbrass through my Redding GR-x dies to do absolutely full case sizing.

Question for the seasoned reloaders here. I am relatively new to reloading and am learning more from this thread that I expected so thanks for your meaningful comments. I load .40 with 100% free range pickup, unsorted, visual inspection only brass.

I have noticed a few flyers (1 to 2" out from the group) when shooting my reloads. These flyers are very random, left, right, high, or low. While it is most likely operator error and my aging eyeballs, this thread has me wondering how much of a factor the random brass I use might be. Could brass variables cause a 2" variation at say ten or twelve yards?

Edited by Rustygun

Rusty Gun

I M H O:

Flyers are usually related to your technique of shooting rather than brass, powder or primers. Issues with your weapon are a matter specific to you and IT.

II YOUR flyers are from a bench rest then the variation in strike could most likely be be due to powder load variation or crimp I think.

If your flyers are from unassisted firing(standing or sitting ) and relying on your grip, use of hands and arms and tension, trigger pull etc..You could be pushing or pulling your shots.

I don't think using range brass ever comes into play in accuracy unless a major difference like the Glock effect so written about in these threads.

Hope this helps focus you on some variable without over thinking the matter.

Chuck

Just Some Guy,

I don't think you will see any smoke using the coated bullets. I don't as long as I load them at 3.6 or better. At 3.8 e3 gets super clean and consistent with the 124/125 grain bullets. Glad you had a good experience. I still haven't found anything I like better for minor 9, minor .40, major .40 and major .45. One powder doing everything except 9 major is pretty neat.

Guys I am new to the science of reloading and would politely ask what e3 is. It is clearly a powder but I do not see any load data in any of my books for a powder that I could identify as e3.

Just Some Guy,

I don't think you will see any smoke using the coated bullets. I don't as long as I load them at 3.6 or better. At 3.8 e3 gets super clean and consistent with the 124/125 grain bullets. Glad you had a good experience. I still haven't found anything I like better for minor 9, minor .40, major .40 and major .45. One powder doing everything except 9 major is pretty neat.

Guys I am new to the science of reloading and would politely ask what e3 is. It is clearly a powder but I do not see any load data in any of my books for a powder that I could identify as e3.

Alliant e3. No pistol recipes published I've seen but seems to be popular.