Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 brass for reloading

perazzisc3

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you will find many on this site that are that particular about brass. Most are using range brass they pickup or once fired mixed brass from the classified section.

This.

If it says .40 on the bottom I use it.

This again, for all a know all brass comes from the same company.

Free. The only brass I dislike is federal because for some reason it sucks to seat primers in it. This being said federal probably makes up 40% of what I load. If it isnt smashed I use it and I don't think I have ever had a brass related issue.

Speer and Federal are probably the same brass being owned by ATK. That being said I have been coming up with a fair amount of Speer brass from the range and no complaints on it.

I have a boatload of once fired LEO brass. I loaded it all the same. I use to separate my nickel brass and use it in major matches-until I ran out of it.

If you run your PF factor to the edge then you might want to ensure the brass is all the small due to the fact there are always small differences between makers. This will help ensure a consistent chronograph reading.

PF + 5 works for all my brass and I don't worry about shooting minor.

• 2 weeks later...

Free is good. I am working a big GSSF match this weekend and will have my brass wizard and bucket with me. I do try to sort my brass by manufacturer for more consistent OAL but as others have said if it is not dented, split or showing other obvious signs use it.

I scrap Amerc and S&B....heard too many bad things about those two brands.

R-P and Winnie seem to be the best brass. I don't load AMERC, S&B, RWS, some Fiocchi USA, or old style Federal 40 cal. Every 40 case I load goes through a Magma sizer.

I have sufficient OCD to sort personal brass by headstamp. I prefer to load R-P brass. ALL Winnie and Remmie 40 cases are solid head.

Edited by Shooting Coach

• 3 weeks later...

As far as "range brass" goes CBC is the most uniform in weight and capacity. It's also the heaviest. The walls are thick, so check your projectile diameters. Fat projectiles may hang up in your seating or crimp dies. Speer nickel brass is lightest and thinnest and has the greatest average internal capacity but the thin walls may require crimp die adjustments. I use them for light loads in .40, but not .357SIG. Brass Speer brass is moderately uniform in weight and capacity. WIN stamped brass is heavy and uniform in weight and capacity.

Federal brass (no dots) is light and soft, but has good capacity. These are very prone to extractor groove claw marks and swipes.

Blazer brass and Federal (2 dots) are practically identical. Their weights and capacities variances are similar and are much greater than those above. PMC brass is on par with these case capacity varies less than weight (?), no kidding.

RP and Winchester vary more than Blazer and Fed2dots.

Since Wal-Mart is now carrying some brass-cased TulAmmo, you'll probably be seeing more of it around. Haven't reloaded it, yet. Made in Italy, so I don't have high hopes. When factory fresh, it looks like "gold-plated" pot metal...