Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Great pistols that don't have a good competition home

I tend to view pistols through the filter of how I'd use them in USPSA, IDPA, or Steel Challenge. But the various divisions encourage certain equipment choices, and compact models are always at a disadvantage. I curious to hear what people think are some otherwise great pistols that don't get much play in the competitive arena as a result.

I've held and played around with Walther's new PPX, I thought it felt good in my hand but it was rather massive. I haven't shot one, though.

I also remember handling a .357 Magnum 1911, I just don't remember much about it other than the caliber. Couldn't even tell you the manufacturer.

Colt Police Positive .22LR Target revolver.

They started making these around WW I. It was the first handgun I ever fired (around age 10) and the only one I shot until I was out of High School.

There will always be a place in my heart for one of these little beauties.

Bill

p.s. The picture is not my gun, I only wish it was.

post-7462-0-38250900-1371264500_thumb.jp

The Browning Hi-Power doesn't show up very often. Great pistol, but doesn't seem to fit into USPSA.

Limited Minor isn't a happy place to play these days. My understanding is that both the scoring zones and Major vs. Minor scoring have evolved over the years, so shooting Minor wasn't always such a handicap.

• 2 weeks later...

In Limited division the Sig Sauer P226 X-5 Competition and L1 models (I use the L1) are rarely seen in my area. Its at a disadvantage as max reloadable mag capacity with mag extensions is 17 rds of .40. But it's an amazing pistol to shoot. Groups unlike any gun I've shot including my Dawson Tuned STI Edge and it's smooth as warm butter.