Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftermarket basepads....anyone NOT use?

dfwmiket

So anyone out there just running stock magazines with factory basepads? Since I've been in "re-purchase everything" mode, examining what may or may not be a luxury vs. a necessity.... I've always used the Dawson pads in the past. Did I mention you should NEVER sell off all your stuff in case you change your mind and decide to come back and shoot?!?!?!

-Mike

So far I've picked up a couple of 140s and probably will grab up a 170 come payday...... haven't decided on which basepads I'll get, fortunately they'll be just fine stock at least for a little while.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using the Taran Tactical basepads. They are quick to remove without any tools. I have had trouble with the dovetail detent in the Dawson pads getting stuck with the desert dust here in AZ.

So anyone out there just running stock magazines with factory basepads? Since I've been in "re-purchase everything" mode, examining what may or may not be a luxury vs. a necessity.... I've always used the Dawson pads in the past. Did I mention you should NEVER sell off all your stuff in case you change your mind and decide to come back and shoot?!?!?!

-Mike

I ran a stock STI 170mm mag and a backup 126mm last weekend in a local match. Two words....never again. Ya know how guys on here say there mags worked flawlessly? Well those two mags worked flawfully. LOL The two I have with grams guts and Dawson +1 bases ran much better.

I run stock basepads on 140mm, they fit my hand better when I reload. I don't see the need for higher capacity in 140s. If I need more that 20, I just use the 170. Spend the money on getting the most capacity out of the 170

Edited by Supermoto

I ran a stock STI 170mm mag and a backup 126mm last weekend in a local match. Two words....never again. Ya know how guys on here say there mags worked flawlessly? Well those two mags worked flawfully. LOL The two I have with grams guts and Dawson +1 bases ran much better.

The Grams follower/spring helps with reliability but not the +1 base pad. Most likely your stock mags will need to be tuned.

I just got back from the range. I shot my 2 140's with Grams guts and Dawson pads. I modified my followers last night to prevent slide lock. Today my mags were extremely reliable, they had no issues whatsoever. I'm shooting a local match tomorrow, I'm not gonna say they're 100% good to go until they last through that. If they do then I'd say they'll be fine. We'll see.

I run stock basepads on 140mm, they fit my hand better when I reload. I don't see the need for higher capacity in 140s. If I need more that 20, I just use the 170. Spend the money on getting the most capacity out of the 170

I totally agree. I'm gonna send Grams a 170 next week.

+1 I have 6 140's just run the stock guts and pads no problems, they been running for 4 years. In the 170 I use grams guts and Dawson SNL for comfy 28.

I have SVI, Dawson, and Grams base pads, but I have pretty much standardized on Taran Tactical Innovations base pads.

I seem to get an extra round or an easy reload out of them.

Taran is a good guy producing some great products--I just had a Glock done by TTI. Incredible.

Hello: I use lots of different base pads. They all work well but some are easier to remove than others for cleaning. I would try some different ones to see how they fit your hands and what you like. Also look at what the ground surface is like in your area. If it is grass most will work well. Rocks and sand you may want to use something different. Aluminum base pads get dented and plastic ones may break. The sand may also effect how easily you can remove the mag base pad for cleaning. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I use lots of different base pads. They all work well but some are easier to remove than others for cleaning. I would try some different ones to see how they fit your hands and what you like. Also look at what the ground surface is like in your area. If it is grass most will work well. Rocks and sand you may want to use something different. Aluminum base pads get dented and plastic ones may break. The sand may also effect how easily you can remove the mag base pad for cleaning. Thanks, Eric

I never thought about....well.....any of that. LOL

Thanks!!! Good lookin out. :)