Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

matchsaverz on a versamax?

Ala has been looking over me, or maybe I shoot and load so slow that my match saver does not do any weird things. But that said, I quickly knocked on wood. I can see how when grounding the gun in a barrel something could happen. I guess I will chance it and keep using mine. I love it.

JMHO

We issued 2 DQs this week when an empty shotgun with a locked back bolt ended up with a shell on the carrier and one missing from the match saver. On video we could see the edge of the barrel pushed the shell into the open port while being dumped.

Bummer.

A wise man sent me his list of top 15 things learned in 3-gunning. On that list is the command "always put the shotgun on safe when dumping". He had a dq for a similar experience but not from a matchsaverz.

I made one today out of 1inch delrin drilled out on the lathe and then milled a 5/8 slot down it and took it over to the belt sander to sand it down and shaped it. Looks good but now I don't want to drill a hole in my forend stock.....might try it and see.

A buddy of mine had his shell pop out and into the chamber at Midwest. Luckily for him he missed a piece of shotgun steel and had to go back and grab his shotgun. To his surprise all he had to do was drop the bolt and he was hot again ready to go. I had one on my gun for about a week. I left the shell in it for awhile and the tension got way loose and it would fly out. When the shell was removed for awhile the tension returned and the shell stayed put. I removed mine after my buddy told me about his issue.

If you are using a matchender it might be a god idea to keep the round out of the device until you preload.

If you go to your local hardware store and look in the plumbing isle you will find you can buy a stick of matchender pipe aka pex pipe for about $5 with no shipping. It usually only comes in Red (hot) and Blue (cold) or clear. The tactical black will have to be ordered online.

If you go to your local hardware store and look in the plumbing isle you will find you can buy a stick of matchender pipe aka pex pipe for about $5 with no shipping. It usually only comes in Red (hot) and Blue (cold) or clear. The tactical black will have to be ordered online.

You could also use Tactical Rit Dye to make it Black as well.

A buddy of mine had his shell pop out and into the chamber at Midwest. Luckily for him he missed a piece of shotgun steel and had to go back and grab his shotgun. To his surprise all he had to do was drop the bolt and he was hot again ready to go. I had one on my gun for about a week. I left the shell in it for awhile and the tension got way loose and it would fly out. When the shell was removed for awhile the tension returned and the shell stayed put. I removed mine after my buddy told me about his issue.

If you are using a matchender it might be a god idea to keep the round out of the device until you preload.

That is what I made mine out of, pex. I have also discovered the tension issue and if I don't use it for that stage, i take it out when I clear it. The only issue I have had is I had one fall out while I was shooting slugs at a match a couple weeks ago and didn't notice it until I watched my videos.

• 2 weeks later...

Make it out of schedule 40 pvc 3/4 " id. Lots thicker.

That's what I did but it didn't have the retention I wanted so I had to heat it with a heat gun and mold it just a little. I built a double holder. If I don't like it in in front of the loading port maybe ill use it to hold slugs or buck shot. We'll see.

th_b2a8b6c9ac3eab1080506abbf5bda8ac_zps8

th_d05f98dbeb96c4a1d04a4b4849d7674d_zpsf

I guess I can see how this could happen however I've been using mine now for the last 3 or 4 matches and it works great. Not only does it save you when you run dry it also allows you to carry a different load so when going from slugs to bird shot I can run my gun dry and load the one on the matchsaverz and I'm back to loading the gun from the bottom.

I still have never had an issue with mine, been using it all summer, and I made sure to mount it far enough forward to never be an issue with the bolt handle. As for the tension issues some are having, it seems to be more on the homemade pex ones, because my original matchsaverz is so tight I can hardly get the round into it. I don't leave rounds in it when not in use but I think it would take awhile to wear this thing out. I did bolt in on and used Velcro also and it is not going anywhere. One of the best add-ons I have put on my gun IMHO, but I can see where if installed poorly etc... it could cause an issue -

As for the tension issues some are having, it seems to be more on the homemade pex ones, because my original matchsaverz is so tight I can hardly get the round into it.

All Matchsaverz are made out of pex pipe. Why do you think the originals were all blue (cold), red (hot) and clear/white? You can't buy black pex at the hardware store.

Yes I see your point that they are all a tubing to begin with, I guess I meant maybe the wall thicknesses are different depending on where you purchase the tubing. Mine is black and pretty thick wall but I'm sure it was just a heavy tubing to start with. So maybe the " homemade " analogy wasn't the best to use - but I would guess that wall thicknesses would vary from different types of pex and different manufacturers as some may be more flexible, some more rigid etc...

Yes I see your point that they are all a tubing to begin with, I guess I meant maybe the wall thicknesses are different depending on where you purchase the tubing. Mine is black and pretty thick wall but I'm sure it was just a heavy tubing to start with. So maybe the " homemade " analogy wasn't the best to use - but I would guess that wall thicknesses would vary from different types of pex and different manufacturers as some may be more flexible, some more rigid etc...

No it's literally the same stuff. Take your match saver to the hardware store. It was an ah ha moment when I saw you could buy 20 of then for $5. They just need to be cut and drilled.

• 3 weeks later...

We issued 2 DQs this week when an empty shotgun with a locked back bolt ended up with a shell on the carrier and one missing from the match saver. On video we could see the edge of the barrel pushed the shell into the open port while being dumped.

Bummer.

A wise man sent me his list of top 15 things learned in 3-gunning. On that list is the command "always put the shotgun on safe when dumping". He had a dq for a similar experience but not from a matchsaverz.

This, I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy anyway. At my first major 3-Gun shoot a couple fo years back I had a stovepipe on the last round and just dumped it and went on with my pistol. When I came back to clear the gun the RO had an issue with it until he saw the safety was set. I don't think there was a problem myself, but better safe than sorry considering the small amount of time involved, to just do the same thing EVERY TIME.

Edited by chevyoneton