Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am new to the three gun world and absolutely am in love with the sport. However, I am using borrowed equipment. I was wondering if anyone knew where i could get a good Ar for a low price? Also is the ELS belt worth the money? Thoughts??

Rock River makes a good AR that was reasonably priced for us mere mortals.

I have the ELS. i use it for 3G and regular USPSA matches. Can't beat the flexibility of the system. The holster adaption takes a bit of trickery.

I just ordered the ELS belt system it is in route. I researched and it seems to be the go to belt for 3 gun (although you pay for it). Someone told me to join USPSA and get a 50% off coupon at their web store and free shipping (not sure, I think it is just for a couple of months). I found I could get some discount if i shopped but I could not match that. Just need to order it all at one time.

I have a Rock River i started with and would recommend it (now a Stag 3G) unless you have the cash for a JP, or another custom then go for it.

I would not get a RockRiver. They do not support the sport the way some of the manufacturers with better suited products do.

Yes, some of these won't fit an "inexpensive" budget, but others will: Bushmaster, CMMG, Colt, Daniel Defense, DoubleStar, FNH, JPRifles, Noveske, POF, PSA, Seekins, Smith & Wesson, Stag, SunDevil.

For inexpensive, look at PSA, S&W and CMMG. There are a few that are pretty close to correct out of the box like the Stag 3G.

I look at it this way...These companies invest in the sport and are inclined to serve the competitors in order to support their investment.

ELS...they have some features I like, others I do not. I used CRSpeed with BladeTech Tek-loks for pouches for a long time. Add the mini TMMS attachments from Blade-Tech and you have a simple, reconfigurable system similar to the ELS, but for me personally, I much prefer it. It gives me more options and it is easier to put on. If you want to go this way, give Jeremy at Shooters SOURCE (oops, Shooters Connection is good too) a try. He has all the stuff, is a competitor himself and will get you set up right.

Edited by MarkCO

I would not get a RockRiver. They do not support the sport the way some of the manufacturers with better suited products do.

Yes, some of these won't fit an "inexpensive" budget, but others will: Bushmaster, CMMG, Colt, Daniel Defense, DoubleStar, FNH, JPRifles, Noveske, POF, PSA, Seekins, Smith & Wesson, Stag, SunDevil.

For inexpensive, look at PSA, S&W and CMMG. There are a few that are pretty close to correct out of the box like the Stag 3G.

I look at it this way...These companies invest in the sport and are inclined to serve the competitors in order to support their investment.

ELS...they have some features I like, others I do not. I used CRSpeed with BladeTech Tek-loks for pouches for a long time. Add the mini TMMS attachments from Blade-Tech and you have a simple, reconfigurable system similar to the ELS, but for me personally, I much prefer it. It gives me more options and it is easier to put on. If you want to go this way, give Jeremy at Shooters Connection a try. He has all the stuff, is a competitor himself and will get you set up right.

My first AR was a Rock River and my competition gun still uses that lower. Although it is a good reasonably priced gun, I can't remember ever seeing anything from them on a prize table. Mark is right, support the companies that support us.

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen Smith and Wesson's for around $600 here and there. Just know that whatever you start with your gear will constantly be changing for the first couple of years, but it wont likely hold you back. I shoot a Winchester SX2 and have had no problems with it. When I was getting started I had a few people tell me "get a benneli, buy once cry once". That didn't hold true for me personally. As far as a pistol a decent trigger and sights and mag extensions are probably priorities. ELS is nice but not absolutely necessary IMO.

The Smith & Wesson Sport is what I bought(I paid around 650 otd but this was prior to the buying craze that has recently taken place). I have a cheap scope on it. I put a low profile gas block, free float tube, and a Miculek comp on it. The only thing I would change right now is a better scope but the one I have isn't holding me back.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not have a rifle built?

You can save quite a bit and pay for the accessories you want and not have a bunch of parts left over you'll never use. Small changes or add on's you might always be doing but starting with a rifle thats ready for the class you want to shoot in.

I have been shooting 3 gun since the ol' SOF matches and now my son and I are both shooting 3 gun with our own built equipment and hopefully soon will be a more common appearance at as many shoots as we can get to.

(Sorry, I edited this but it felt a little like advertising so I deleted some of it)

Edited by BuckeyeBoys

How much is "low price"? If you think you are gonna stick with the sport, you may wan to start with a nice rifle. There are some out there that are not terribly expensive for what you get.

Edited by Lead-Head

• 4 weeks later...

I'd definitely look into PSA... Sign up for their email blast as they are constantly putting out great deals every weekend. The Stag 3G series is pretty nice as well. Best advice though is to wait a little if you need to so you can put a little more into your rifle. The quality gap between $750 and $950 is enormous and will be well worth the $200 extra in the long run.