Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I believe i will be shooting the heavy metal class ..i'm shooting single stack 45acp and AR-10 platform,, my question is this .I run a semi-auto 12ga. shotty and do not own a pump gun..

I have heard it must be a pump is this true and if so what would actually happen if i want to run mine (the auto) ???

Yep, most matches would put you in Limited (iron sights or 1x optics, depending on match) if they recognize that class or Tactical. If you want to shoot Heavy Metal, a Benelli Nova is the least expensive of the 3 guns required, you already have the expensive ones. I say, go shoot and have fun. I have ran my Heavy Metal rig in Tactical before, didn't win, but didn't come in last either.

Hurley

As Pat said, this rule varies match to match. Most matches now recognize 2 sub-divisions within He-man or Heavy-Metal. One allows an optic on the rifle and the other limits rifle sights to one set of irons.

The sub-division that allows an optic is referred to as "HM-Optic" or "Heavy-Tac[tical]" sometimes allows a semi-auto SG. Some matches will even allow a high-cap .40(USPSA) or 9mm(TXMG) pistols.

The sub-division that requires iron rifle sights is referred to as "HM-Limited" or "Heavy Irons". This sub-division almost always requires a pump SG and a .45ACP.

Confusion is common. Check the rules carefully. If it's a big match, print a copy of the rule set and stash it in your bag.

Welcome to the game!

The folks above are right. Though most rules are pretty similar, they do vary and you have to checks the rules of each match.

Most Heavy Metal (or Heavy Irons) requires 308 rifle, 45 handgun, and 12 gauge pump shotgun and all 3 guns must use iron sights only. Some may allow a non-magnified optic (red dots) to be used on the rifle.

Heavy Optics (or some other variance in the name) is where things really vary. In whatever variance, the rifle is still a 308 but the use of magnified optics is allowed. The shotgun may be semi-auto or pump, and the handgun can be 9mm or bigger.

Welcome to 3-Gun.

Heavy Metal is a .308 rifle (20 rnd mags), .45 ACP pistol (often 10 rnd mags, but should still be 8), and a 12 ga pump with a tube that holds 8. End of story.

Lots of matches (and even USPSA) are coming up with silly, blasphemous "heavy" divisions, but the list above will always work in any heavy division though some matches allow more "high speed" stuff.

Wgj3 ,please by all means don't hold back , tell us how you really feel. .lol..

Yes I still run an 8 count 45 .. but since I'm just getting started this upcoming match would only be my second one. . First was an outlaw mostly for fun and pretty lax on the rules.

My LR 308 I run an eotech only and iron sights on other 2 guns

I have a nova and supernova you can try out if you want. Cheapest race ready guns I own, have less than $500 each in them. But with the auto you're in TI at a minimum at most club matches. You'll likely be the only guy in Heavy Optics unless its a major but you may be able to shoot that class as well. The snova is red and the regular is next to it. Both 24" guns, nc tubes, hi viz sights.

shotguns_zpsa9548fe9.jpg

Yeah, the Heavy divisions is where the most equipment confusion lies. There is HeMan vs Heavy Metal. Irons vs Limited. Optics vs Scope and that's just in the titles. It was origianally called HeMan and was in fact 308 (irons), 45acp and 12ga pump. It started out here in the Front Range area (New Mexico/Colorado) and there are some who will burn down a house if you get the titles confused. So if you say "HeMan" you are implying a very specific rule set. Most matches run HeMan or Heavy Metal Limited with that same equipment set and with 20rd mags for rifle, 10rd mags for pistol with some variance on the pump shotgun magazine length. Out here, where HeMan was born, we do 8rds in the tube at the buzzer and allow more after the buzzer. HeMan/Heavy Metal Scope/Optics/Tactical was created because there are a number of competitors who love shooting heavies but simply couldn't see those long targets well enough any more. The vast majority of the confusion lies in that division. There are pumps and autos, limited capacity vs long mags, 45 only vs major PF, vs whatever you want. The rules in this division vary greatly from match to match and seem to get mesaged often. If you want to keep it simple, just shoot HeMan/Heavy Metal Limited and run a 308 (irons), 45acp pistol and pump 12ga. I highly recommend a 24" Benelli Super Nova, but if you have an old 870 or 500 laying around, dust it off and go have some fun. I still enjoy shooting my 45 SS more than any other pistol I own and I actually enjoy shooting my Nova pump as much as any other shotgun I've ever owned. Right now I'm having fun learning how to shoot rifle irons. Quite a learning curve there.

Call me a non-purist, but I shoot heavy optics simply because my rifle is .308. I specifically look for matches that allow me to use my Versmax and my .40 because those are the guns I have and my wife won't let me have more yet ;) The local matches here don't care, they just want people to shoot. There are a couple of big matches that have rule sets that allow me to use those guns for heavy metal. You just have to look around. No, it's not true HeMan, but I don't care. I just want to shoot. Do I wish my rifle didn't cost almost $2.00 a shot? Yeah... but until I get a .223. That's the hand I've been dealt.

Look around, find a match and go shoot!

Edited by GregSmith

I actually have 2 complete 223 lowers. . I have one upper on order from White Oak Armory.. was going to use in Cmp/ Nra highpower but going to use in mostly 3gun.. should run like a champ and be nuts on at 100yards snd more.lol . . I ordered flat top with removable carry handle and 1/4 -1/4 sights

Well the original "He Man" was a 308, a 10 round 45 or a 44 revolver and a 12 Gage shotgun. There was no pump requirement. That change happened after the first Rocky Mountain match when the people in the division requested it. I know the guy who made the change :)

It was an iron sight only division so it wouldn't turn into an AR-10 division as they are the only ones in that class of rifles that is easy to scope. We didn't want an equipment race.

Edited by kurtm

You are much better off reading the rules for the match you intend on shooting than listening to everyone here, because we all have our "opinion" of what the rules should or should not be. plus we cannot cover every matches rules, for instance some say regarding heavy metal irons,

Rifle: irons only others nonmagnified sights optics included, some say 360pf, others 7.62x51, others .308 bore size, others 320pf.

Pistol: single stack only, others whatever as long as .45 including 45GAP, some say 40sw 125pf, others 185pf, some say 44mag is ok.

Shotgun: auto is ok, others pump only, some say only 9 rounds in the gun at all times others 9 rounds max at the start.

so you can see that its in your best interest to read the rules, and don't assume,.......a good shooter at a large match assumed recently and then chose to have themselves DQ'd from the match due to equipment violations, you don't want to find yourself in those circumstances or worse not know you were illegal and be labeled a cheater!! its much easier to read.

Trapr

You are much better off reading the rules for the match you intend on shooting than listening to everyone here, because we all have our "opinion" of what the rules should or should not be. plus we cannot cover every matches rules, for instance some say regarding heavy metal irons,

Rifle: irons only others nonmagnified sights optics included, some say 360pf, others 7.62x51, others .308 bore size, others 320pf.

Pistol: single stack only, others whatever as long as .45 including 45GAP, some say 40sw 125pf, others 185pf, some say 44mag is ok.

Shotgun: auto is ok, others pump only, some say only 9 rounds in the gun at all times others 9 rounds max at the start.

so you can see that its in your best interest to read the rules, and don't assume,.......a good shooter at a large match assumed recently and then chose to have themselves DQ'd from the match due to equipment violations, you don't want to find yourself in those circumstances or worse not know you were illegal and be labeled a cheater!! its much easier to read.

Trapr

• 4 years later...

Although I have not seen one, at first glance it does appear that gun could be legal in most HM matches. However, I  would be careful about the ease of reloading on the clock compared to a  traditional shotgun like an 870 or Nova...

jj

36 minutes ago, Dfwuts15 said:

I have a question.  First off I'm new to this and was thinking of getting the utas uts 15. I haven't been able to find rules about the ability to run it in 3 gun HM. All the rules I have found say 12g pump iron sights that is it. 

Reloading the utas is a nightmare, the followers need to be pushed back each time, and if trying to top off a tube, you have to get between the last two shells, push the second to last back, then push the first back, then you can top off...