Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.25 XD-M 9mm

Va_Gunner

I am going to be traveling and will not be able to reload .45 for my go to SS. So I am looking into shooting production with a 5.25XD-M 9mm. Could any of you guys toss some info my way about your experiences with this type of weapon.

Well it starts with do you like the XDM -?? if that is the case you will probably love this gun. I started with an XD tactical in production and then went to CZ - good gun just not into the initial DA shooting and the manual decock. Enter the 5.25 - back home again. I like XD's (have six) and this is the best of them all. If you are serious and have the $$ get it from a custom shop like Canyon Creek - have both my main and backup done there and have had zero problems through 30 matches last year - reliable, accurate and well balanced. Seeing more and more of them at matches - Glocks still rule in production but this gun is coming on strong (if you can find one. Check out Canyon Creek, Powder River or Springer Precision - all do a great job and all are shooters helping shooters.

Go for it and have fun.

I pretty much mirror what gunshrink said I have been shooting a XDM 5.25 since aug and loved it so much I got my 14 yr old daughter one in the 4.5 and she loves hers also. I have had 0 issues with them.

The XDm will eat anything you can feed it, they're damn near indestructible, and run all. the. time. That's my experience and my son and I have been shooting them in competition for several years. now.

That said, the stock trigger is not good. A trigger job is a good investment if you're going to run it for more than a couple of matches. Beyond that, shoot and enjoy.

The stock trigger sucks, worse than an xd. Scott at springer precision has been a big help with the trigger kit install in my xd and although it takes a while to fit it, it was more than worth it. the prp drop in kit is cheaper and works pretty good-its the one i got in my 5.25 xdm40. The 9 is nice too, I shot one at American shooters in Vegas. Super reliable guns, will eat anything as previously stated. The only time I had some jams is while I was playing with my xd open gun- it would get stuck between the carver mount and slide. I still need to work on that one.

• 4 weeks later...

If you do the PRP trigger kit route, keep in mind that you will have to do some filing to the sear and the trigger.

My 5.25 is perfect. Not a single malfunction in more than 1000 rds now.

Do some dry fire drills with the XDm to get use to not having a thumb safety to switch on/off or a place for your thumb to ride on as on the 1911s. Also depending on how much you shoot SS, you may need to get use to having 2 more rounds in the mag before needing a mag change. Lastly, most stages are designed around Production class so reading/prepping for a stage may be a little different than what you may be use to when participating in SS.

The grip angle is very similar if not equal to a 1911, so you natural point of aim should be the same.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

:D

If you do the PRP trigger kit route, keep in mind that you will have to do some filing to the sear and the trigger.

The only "filing" (actually sanding) I did on the PRP Ultimate trigger kit I installed in my .40 5.25 was to the trigger stop. It went in slick and is a nice improvement. I have several XDm pistols, and the factory trigger in the 5.25 was the only one I could not stand.

The only "filing" (actually sanding) I did on the PRP Ultimate trigger kit I installed in my .40 5.25 was to the trigger stop. It went in slick and is a nice improvement. I have several XDm pistols, and the factory trigger in the 5.25 was the only one I could not stand.

You had to file the prp drop in trigger?

You had to file the prp drop in trigger?

I had to file my sear for it to fit...others probably didnt but mine absolutely had to.

The trigger stop needs to be filed/sanded for your own preference on how short you want your trigger reset.

I shoot two XD-M's in competition, a 5.25 9mm and 5.25 40. Out of the box, they both had better triggers that either an M&P (my previous comp gun) and the Glock I tried. Perhaps I just got lucky. I picked up the 9mm first and had actually gone to pick up a M&P 5" Pro. Both have the PRP Ultimate Match triggers, I fitted the 9 myself, the 40 I had PRP fit it.

Both shoot very well, point of aim is dead center, not high or low. The 40 is used in Limited, shooting 180gr Majors. The 9 is used in ESP (IDPA) and Limited (USPSA / Minor), both use 147.

As has already been mentioned, they feed anything. The chambers in the 5.25's seems to be a slight bit looser than the 4.5 production models. You can load them to about 1.15 OAL.

If you pick one up, you will not regret it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll echo what the above are posting. I'm using the 9mm 5.25 and love it. I've added the PRP Ultimate Match kit in mine, only had to file down the over travel stop. I have yet to have a problem running 147gr lead FP at 1.150" light loads using the stock recoil spring.

I got back into the sport last year with the XDm 9mm 5.25. I shot production and couldn't have been happier with its performance. I did the PRP drop in trigger kit and the trigger is wonderful. Other than that all I did was shoot it. I don't think you can go wrong with this platform. I do wish I had opted for the .40 so I could shoot limited major as well as production though.

I am a dyed in wool 1911 guy. When I got into 3 gun three years ago I made the switch to a high cap 9. I ran a Glock for the first year but never really got used to the grip angle. I picked up a XDm 5.25 and never looked back. Mine came out of Dawson Precision with a trigger job and a set of their FO sights. In two years I have never had a single misfeed or hiccup. It is very accurate.

I have had thoughts about switching to Production and running it in some IPSC matches as well.

Bottom line: Great gun, no regrets here at all.