Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What I like...a broken water softener....

GrumpyOne

So, I got a call from the wife this morning. Apparently, the storm last night toasted the water softener, cause all the lights on the display were on, and you couldn't read the screen, and it was constantly running. She tells me she unplugged it, so I start looking online for a replacement electronic board. Called the manufacturer, tell them what it's doing, yep, the electronic board... I didn't know the exact model number, so I didn't order it. So, I get home, plug it in, and it is going nuts....lights on, beeping, constantly running, none of the buttons work. Called the manufacturer again, told them what I saw, yep, board probably got wet and toasted...they tell me to try and dry out the board with a hair dryer...Hell, it's worth a shot... These are the steps to fix the board:

Step #1 Remove the cover of the water softener.

Step #2 Remove the toasted, dead frog that is laying across the contacts of the electronic board.

Step #3 Replace the cover, turn the unit back on, and set parameters.

A dead frog saved me $90 for a new board. Hooray for dead frogs!

So, I got a call from the wife this morning. Apparently, the storm last night toasted the water softener, cause all the lights on the display were on, and you couldn't read the screen, and it was constantly running. She tells me she unplugged it, so I start looking online for a replacement electronic board. Called the manufacturer, tell them what it's doing, yep, the electronic board... I didn't know the exact model number, so I didn't order it. So, I get home, plug it in, and it is going nuts....lights on, beeping, constantly running, none of the buttons work. Called the manufacturer again, told them what I saw, yep, board probably got wet and toasted...they tell me to try and dry out the board with a hair dryer...Hell, it's worth a shot... These are the steps to fix the board:

Step #1 Remove the cover of the water softener.

Step #2 Remove the toasted, dead frog that is laying across the contacts of the electronic board.

Step #3 Replace the cover, turn the unit back on, and set parameters.

A dead frog saved me $90 for a new board. Hooray for dead frogs!

Thanks! I needed this!

Along these lines…a buddy brought in a sweet old Fender Super Reverb vacuum tube guitar amp and said she wasn’t sounding good at all. Tried it out and it was horrible ugliness with crackles and all kinds of ghost notes. Opened her up and after some close examination and probing discovered a large roach (the six legged kind) had crawled between the old fiber eyelet circuit boards and died.

Apparently roaches are a little conductive when hit with 450vdc.

Removed the roach, did a little tune-up and she was back to the sonic lushy goodness Super Reverbs are known for.

• 4 years later...

I was actually having a good day (rare these days) but the frog made my day even better.

Actually the day started out kinda cute-like altogether: It's spring and the hordes of Canada geese (thousands of 'em) are breeding here in town, and the boulevard leading from my place to the nearest interurban on-ramp is surrounded by protected ponds--where all manner of wildlife (including possums) reside. Including the pesky geese. Well, three adults and at least six or eight VERY, very young brood were leaping off the sidewalk curb, fully prepared to cross this 40mph boulevard. We Eugenians come to a firm halt for things like this. The brood and their chaperons proceeded across the road while we waited. We also do this for the Mallard duck families that also live near here. Sometimes the small broodies have trouble getting back UP the opposite curb, though, so people have been known to get out of their vehicles and physically lift them up over the obstacle!  B)

But, on topic, I've found dried/toasted versions of bugs and other creatures in places I hoped I'd never find them. Moreover, we've had power failures due to the abundance of squirrels who ambitiously climbed into power substations and BBQ'd themselves, much to the detriment of the expensive equipment.  :o

On 4/20/2018 at 8:02 AM, GeorgeGeorge said:

Looks like you need a new water softener, man... This info may be helpful for you, I'm sure. I wouldn't recommend you to go with a pricey unit, just try to find the quality/price ratio.  

Uh, you do realize that was almost 5 years ago, right?

well,

I figured you got a new one...

and since you didn't take any pitures of the outline of the dead frog

that we were not going to get the news the frog army finally got the softener.

:-D

how is the mower doing?

miranda

Edited by Miranda
fergot ma name

• 2 weeks later...

That is obviously OPIOD overdose!

Notice the gaping mouth........The location ( he is obviously laying in the gutter)

Shame on you.

I believe we have two Florida boys backing each others stories!

Go to dinner with each other much?

Make fun of Yankees together much?

Talk about how its not cold down here in December much?

I'm on to you guys.

I am Southern!

I come from Aroostook county ( look it up)

it don't get more Southern.

and being Southern, I have a sense of Honor.

hold my beer,  I'll get a PCboard for you to slide under that bum.

miranda

Ok after much investigation I finally came to the truth of the picture.

It's the same old story .

This poor sap meets a girl and I am told she was a real PIG  but our hero  didn't know that at the time.

After he had spent the majority of his life JUMPING from place to place he was ready to share his  PAD with this PRIZE WINNING piece of meat and they would raise a family, have a couple of kids one named TAD and the other named POLE and they would all live high on the HOG.

Long story short he caught her with another man, It wasn't hard to catch her because she was SLOPPY , She was TROTTING around town with a drummer,  This new fella was a real ANIMAL and he knew how to make her SQUEAL

Our man in the picture turned GREEN with envy and soon after took to the streets where he got hooked on FLY STRIPS and over dosed.

Sad but true.

That was the movie; " Looking for Mr. Goodfrog"  right?

yeah, I refused to watch it.  too much violence.

Now when Marvelous Marvin Suggs and his Muppaphones return...

I'll be there!

miranda

• 2 months later...
On 5/22/2013 at 12:01 PM, JimmyZip said:

Have found several toasted animals inside service boxes inside/outside of homes/offices/buildings. They can't seem to get the idea about electrical current very well.

Just because we're reviving an old thread.....

They like the warmth that electricity gives. Car engines too, I work at a car dealership and we find rats, squirrels, cats, etc. under the hood once in a while. A few like to chew wires and really mess stuff up.