Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So what's the final call on load2/4 vs weak hand/strong hand reloa

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I have a Beretta 1301 and have just started the practice of the load two system. Other then sending my carrier to C-rums to be welded what other mods do I need to make it easier. I see a lot of shotguns with metal removed around the bottom of the tube...who does that and is that necessary.

Also, is there anyone in Florida that would do that sort of shotgun work?

Thanks,

Adam

Ok, I have a Beretta 1301 and have just started the practice of the load two system. Other then sending my carrier to C-rums to be welded what other mods do I need to make it easier. I see a lot of shotguns with metal removed around the bottom of the tube...who does that and is that necessary.

Also, is there anyone in Florida that would do that sort of shotgun work?

Thanks,

Adam

Get a set of small files and some sandpaper in varying grits and knock it out.

How much should be taken off the bottom of the mag tube??????

Start with a little and try it. I'm not familiar with a 1301 but in my Benelli all I watch out for us getting into the area the stops the follower from coming out and the groove that the bolt rides in. Oh and the serial number. Mask off the area you don't want to remove or scratch with electoral tape or good masking tape and take it slow.

Here are a couple pics.

QuadLoadPort-1_zpsccbb8a55.jpg

QuadLoadPort-3_zps782112b3.jpg

At the Nordic Components Tactical Shotgun championship this year we had a stage called load 8 shoot 8. In the Tactical class traditional weak hand reload out of AP 4x4 took top time. Quad load I believe was second. In pump class, load 2 was fastest.

Something to think about.

All I can say about that is it takes someone great with traditional to beat someone decent with load two on average. And a great plan executed well usually wins also. Had to do a little pat k. reference there

All I can say about that is it takes someone great with traditional to beat someone decent with load two on average. And a great plan executed well usually wins also. Had to do a little pat k. reference there

And Patrick was the stage winner on the load 8, shooting pump and loading 2. Patrick correct me if I'm wrong.

Jay

My experience with Quad loading is that it requires less practice than weak hand to load a given number of shells. I have been loading weak hand for about 4 years and my load 4 time in the video below was cold with no practice. My load 4 time was 4.29. The next video is from yesterday and my load 8 time was 5.83 seconds.

http://youtu.be/lYugYzAfuTg

http://youtu.be/IWXO8ymw-_w

I finished loading port mods to my Beretta 1301 Saturday morning, practiced about an hour on Saturday and an hour Sunday. The video below is from Monday. I did have plenty of fumbles during my live fire practice but compared to weak hand my learning curve was much faster. I consider myself a “50%” shooter, which means I finish with close to 50% of the winners points. I use TACCOM quad loaders. :cheers:

Fireman489,

The 1301 serial number limits the amount of material you can remove from the left side of the port. Luckily the right side is the side that needs most material removed for quad and I think load 2 would be the same. Getting the first shell started is easy but without cutting into thee side of the port it is hard to get the second shell to follow because you are pushing with the palm of your hand. The phots are my current but I may go further.

this photo is the left side limited be serial number. The cut is almost parallel to the bottom of the receiver.

post-20407-0-51338100-1382091409_thumb.j

this is the right side which is an angle cut.

post-20407-0-40692700-1382091445_thumb.j

and just another pic.

.post-20407-0-77343000-1382091475_thumb.j

you might see the small chamfer I put on the forend.

The tape is just a reference line parallel to the receiver.

Fireman489,

The 1301 serial number limits the amount of material you can remove from the left side of the port. Luckily the right side is the side that needs most material removed for quad and I think load 2 would be the same. Getting the first shell started is easy but without cutting into thee side of the port it is hard to get the second shell to follow because you are pushing with the palm of your hand. The phots are my current but I may go further.

this photo is the left side limited be serial number. The cut is almost parallel to the bottom of the receiver.

attachicon.gif20131018_060618.jpg

this is the right side which is an angle cut.

attachicon.gif20131018_060455.jpg

and just another pic.

.attachicon.gif20131018_060503.jpg

you might see the small chamfer I put on the forend.

The tape is just a reference line parallel to the receiver.

So you basically just took a dermel and kept removing the metal straight down until parallel to the carrier almost?

• 3 weeks later...

The load 2 requires pretty much no dexterity its all its all major motor skills. So getting it down is MUCH easer then traditional loading out of caddies. It seems like everyone on the 3GN pro tour is using duces/quads (there has to be a reason) but that being said if I am not mistaken Daniel Horner still runs out of the traditional AP caddies and he does it really well and we all know how he places on stages. So its a blonds to brunettes kinda thing, I've tried both, like both but it seems like the blonds are easier and requires less work ;)

Edited by bigkyle72

The load 2 requires pretty much no dexterity its all its all gross major motor skills. So getting it down is MUCH easer then traditional strong hand. It seems to cut my time down alot when I switched to duces. It seems like everyone on the 3GN pro tour is using duces/quads (there has to be a reason) but that being said if I am not mistaken Daniel Horner still runs strong hand and he does it really well. So its a blonds to brunettes kinda thing, I've tried both, like both but it seems like the blonds are easier and required less work ;)

Keith, Taran, Rustin, Burton and the AMU are some of the notables that still load weakhand. They don't have to load any faster to win.

The load 2 requires pretty much no dexterity its all its all gross major motor skills. So getting it down is MUCH easer then traditional strong hand. It seems to cut my time down alot when I switched to duces. It seems like everyone on the 3GN pro tour is using duces/quads (there has to be a reason) but that being said if I am not mistaken Daniel Horner still runs strong hand and he does it really well. So its a blonds to brunettes kinda thing, I've tried both, like both but it seems like the blonds are easier and required less work ;)

Keith, Taran, Rustin, Burton and the AMU are some of the notables that still load weakhand. They don't have to load any faster to win.

Cough cough, Mr. #25 still loads weak hand too.

If I was shooting an all shotgun match, I may regret it. But with the 3 gun matches I've shot this year, shotgun loading is not what is keeping me in the 81% range of Daniel. The guys ahead of me are just more efficient, faster, and more accurate w/ the rifle and pistol.

Never could do the load four at a time from caddies. Fingers too short and not enough dexterity. Got the Carbon Arms set up for load 2. Within an hour of practicing, I could do 8 in 8 sec reliably, 8 in 6 sec about half of the time.

I never put time in to be efficient with weakhand traditional. I borrowed some CA load 2s and within half an hour was able to get 12 in 6sec. 12 in about 7.5-8 when moving around. Hell even got 12 in 7sec weakhand load 2s while stationary. Id like to get on the clock and give it a try...thats where the true numbers will come in.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, i get that load 2/4 is easier to learn, but which hand is more efficient: WH or SH? I personally skipped weakhand caddy reloads and went straight into WH Load 2, been a newbie and having an unmodified JM Pro, but most of the videos here are of strong hand load 4. Am I missing something?

Like Mark said Strong hand was easier for me immediately. I also thought it would be faster due to less gun movement. I don't think my less gun movement assumption holds true. I actually think weakhand maybe faster because you can remount the gun faster and more consistently. I still get weird mounts coming off my shoulder. Strong hand had a higher chance of grabbing the trigger rather than the grip and having an AD. Ask me how I know. Strong hand will burn your weakhand on the barrel. In the big scheme of things I think either is ok but I'm thinking weakhand is the way to go. I'm gonna start learning weak side this month.

Like Mark said Strong hand was easier for me immediately. I also thought it would be faster due to less gun movement. I don't think my less gun movement assumption holds true. I actually think weakhand maybe faster because you can remount the gun faster and more consistently. I still get weird mounts coming off my shoulder. Strong hand had a higher chance of grabbing the trigger rather than the grip and having an AD. Ask me how I know. Strong hand will burn your weakhand on the barrel. In the big scheme of things I think either is ok but I'm thinking weakhand is the way to go. I'm gonna start learning weak side this month.

Jesse

This is how I break down the Pros and cons of WH vs SH

SH Pros

+More dexterity by using the strong hand

+Easier to deal with when a slide lock occurs

+Closer to face, so better visual indexing

SH Cons

-I burn my hand every time, unless I keep WH wrist in awkward position

-Mounting SG is less consistent

- trigger grabbing at re-mount

WH Pros

+Closer to belt so faster hand to SG movements

+SH never leaves SG grip

+Familiar SG mounting movement

+Good visual indexing

+No hand burning

WH Cons

-Hard to resolve slide lock loading ( I know I should be counting my rounds)

-Dexterity requires more practice

I did not consciously put this list together before I started WH, but burning my hand on the barrel during early practice rounds was definitely one of the reasons I started with WH. I never thought of the re-mounting motion or trigger grabbing until you mentioned it, but definitely important.