Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun that shoots both major and minor loads

DrLove

folks,

so I really want to start shooting open. Now I don't reload, so which caliber and which gun do you recommend that I can use with both major and minor (factory) loads when I can't get my hands on major loads?

Look into Freedom Gunworks. They have a forum on here under the vendor tents section. If you are going to buy a new gun you might as well go the custom route. His lead time isn't too bad and is prices/work are great. Mine runs major and minor no problem.

STI steel master Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not the Steelmaster! The comp has fewer ports. Not good for Major.

Get a STI Matchmaster or Trubor. If you get the Trubor, make sure to order it with the T2 compensator.

I run an STI Trubor in 9mm with both 170 pf major loads and 135 of minor loads with only a change of the recoil spring.

Not sure if mine has the newer comp or not as I got a screaming good deal on it used a couple years back.

Good luck.

How much do you want to spend?

There are occasionally a few deals that pop up on used open guns built by some of the best builders out there - Bedell, Benny, Akai, Brazos, Gans. If you are going with a new gun, stick with one of those. There are a few newcomers who have bought their reputation rather than earned it like those previously mentioned. Open guns, especially 9mm major open guns, aren't single stacks and they certainly aren't limited guns. 9MM is pushing the design of the 1911. They can be made to run, but not by just anybody.

Every open gun I have ever had would fire both major and minor. I never even swapped springs. The thing that you need to understand is that if you aren't going to reload, you aren't going to get the advantage of the comp due to the fact that factory loaded stuff doesn't use slow enough powder to work the comp.

I've been down this road, so I'd like to offer some advice to save you some frustration: don't move to Open until you have a reloading press.

Notice that the members who've posted above use the term "minor loads" not "factory loads" like you did in your question? That's because factory loads are not designed for compensated pistols and will give you mediocre results at best.

Those members who shoot Minor loads in Open are using slow powders to maximize gas volume, that's not the case with the factory loads I've shot.

I have seven compensators, some work well with heavy loads, some work well with light loads, but none work better than OK with factory ammo.

Forget shooting open if you are not going to reload. As to gun shoot some open guns that belong to fellow shooters to see what you like or dislike from one to another. I would definately go with 9mm. Shay Akai bulids an excellent open gun and his build time is quite reasonable.

I'm very new to Open and the mad science of compensators, but I have learned that minor has a big spread...125 PF is nothing like 160 PF. I have a Trubor with the T2, and out of the box it wouldn't even cycle my 132 PF Production loads. Now that it's broken in, it will run fine with that load, but the comp does absolutely nothing. It's not even remotely fun to shoot.

I wanted a minor load for steel events (PSA has a velocity limit and my Major load is too fast), so I experimented until I found the spot where the gun stayed flat. I ended up at 150 PF. 6.0 gr AC under a MG 124 JHP @ 1.175". Noticeably softer than my Major load, but the gun runs, it works the comp, and no spring changes.

folks,

so I really want to start shooting open. Now I don't reload, so which caliber and which gun do you recommend that I can use with both major and minor (factory) loads when I can't get my hands on major loads?

It doesn't sound like you need a working comp, how about an open .40?

Edited by Hello

how about an open .40?

I toyed with the idea of .40 Open before I started reloading and was told by the .40 Open shooters I asked that I would still not be happy with the performance of my factory ammo with a comp (just not enough gas volume with fast burning powders).

I shoot 9 minor off the shelf in my Steelmaster. Make A hits and your points are the same. Unless you are going to major matches and want to make GM then just have fun and shoot off the shelf ammo. If you get real good you will be buying another gun anyway. The Captain

Benny Hill made my 2nd open gun me to use in USPSA. up until thin I used my gun that was built just for Steel Challenge.

I run 38 super comp. the Gun that Benny Hill Built me runs great on all my loads with out changing the spring.

to make it run just a tinny bit flatter with the steel challenge loads I can change my main spring.

Benny Hill made my 2nd open gun me to use in USPSA. up until thin I used my gun that was built just for Steel Challenge.

I run 38 super comp. the Gun that Benny Hill Built me runs great on all my loads with out changing the spring.

to make it run just a tinny bit flatter with the steel challenge loads I can change my main spring.

Alamo I think you are spot on with 38SC, when I was running 38SC I shot 115gr with 5gr of WST and it was like shootin a Nurf Gun, then without changing a thing shooting 180pf with 125gr JHPs. I've never found a 9 mm minor load I like in the 9 major gun, they all go bomb but I have to jack them up to about 140-150 pf to get the slide moving nice and fast. Benny Hill builds some awesome 38S open guns. One small detail to add the POI will shift several inches between a minor and major load.

I know several steel master shooters and all agree it don't shoot major well, but they all love shooting their minor loads, nope none of them are in contention to win the Nationals, but neither am I shooting Major. One has a like STI New Grand master, but it stays home while the Steel Master gets shot.

Any full size STI/SV based gun with a good comp and a red dot will do just fine, change out the recoil spring for minor or factory loads. Shorties are good for steel but shooting major i didn't like it, way too much felt recoil..but that's just me.

folks,

Will agree with Mattias, i have a Czechmate i use Magtec 95 grn for steel and minor, a friend of my uses the production ammo he is loading (130 PF)

I have also made a V6 hybrid on my gun, it runs perfectly. For major i uses 8,5grn with N3n38, 29mm, 124 Berry RNHB, rem primers and mixed brass the pf is about 166.

Rino