Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tungsten Guide Rod: Who Would Know?

bigdawgbeav

I have an XDM 5.25 in .45acp. Unloaded weight with empty mag is 32oz. Since the gun is .45acp I'm shooting CDP. So that gives me 10oz. to work with. Who's to say anyone would notice if I had a tungsten guide rod? They only weigh 3-4 ounces...
Before I get flamed as a cheater, please be aware that I have no intention of trying this. It would be cheating and that just takes the fun out of IDPA. It's only something I was thinking about. And whether or not someone would get caught.
Sanctioned matches weigh guns to make sure they fit in the division. Can they possibly know what the weight of every gun should be, or what it should be close to? Or are they simply looking to make sure that it's less than the max weight?
If that's the case, it makes me wonder if there are cheaters out there doing this exact same thing...

Also . . . . . some sanctioned matches gun checks include disassembly of the pistol and inspection of the guide rod assemblies. I have personally witnessed this and saw one competitor disqualified for the use of a tungsten guide rod in a Glock pistol. I believe he would have finished first in division otherwise. He is a solid guy and I'm certain he was not willfully cheating, but it was a costly and embarrassing lesson.

I've seen several SO's have a cheat sheet for weights of weapons along with a sheet at the chrono for bullet weights vs velocity..

My Baer juuuust skimped by at the S&W indoors nats,and the 1st thing the SO did was checked my guide rod,then just smiled..

The IDPA gods will smite you. ;)

not really... a good SO would have some of them Lipstick black racing type shorts laying around when he checked your gun,he would just make you finish the match wearing a pair 2 sizes smaller...

I think if they give you a max weight for a gun you should be able to do whatever you want to do up to that weight. Tungsten guide, reverse plug whatever... That being said, my 9mm 1911 Trojan with a steel main spring housing, VZ grips and a Techwell magwell had to have an aluminum guide rod to make weight.

And I imagine you would as well... of course every match I attend with you means you're gonna want to check my guide rod right?

Nah, the XD is a self-correcting problem. ;)

Besides, you would be a greater threat to the people in your class if you spent your tungsten guide rod money on ammo.

Ted

And I imagine you would as well... of course every match I attend with you means you're gonna want to check my guide rod right?

Nah, the XD is a self-correcting problem. ;)

Besides, you would be a greater threat to the people in your class if you spent your tungsten guide rod money on ammo.

Ted

You're just jealous of the awesomness that is the red XD(M). And I'd actually be better off taking the money and spending it on shooting instruction.

11. Full length guide rod manufactured of material that is no heavier than common steel.

Tungsten is not legal. Might as well run 180 grain bullets and tell them they are 230's. Cheating is cheating.

But that's not the question. I know it's cheating, which is why I would never do it. The question is "Who would know?" I don't remember them stripping any guns at the last sanctioned match to check for illegal components.

Many don't even chrono, much less pull bullets and weigh them. So only you know that you are a cheat at that point.

For example, if you went through the trouble to drill out a guide rod, then added mercury up to the point that it weighed the same as a stock one, you would have a legal weight guide rod, plus the slight benifit of the dead blow effect of one.

If you are good enough to tell the difference, you would do well anyway.

Edited by jmorris

I had the same thoughts when I read the formal ruling in Hogue wraparound grips: I love them, use them on everything including my Production gun. No one has ever said anything, probably never would, but I just can't use them now that I know they're illegal.

It does seem a little silly I can double the cost of my CZ with custom work, but a $20 grip gives me an 'unfair advantage'...

Edited by kneelingatlas

Simple enough. Just take a magnet to the guide rod. Unless the stock rod is aluminum or stainless that would be a pretty easy tell.

USPSA has a published list of the stock weights of production guns. If I were running the chrono stage (IDPA or USPSA) I'd check against that list before I started stripping down competitors guns.

Simple enough. Just take a magnet to the guide rod. Unless the stock rod is aluminum or stainless that would be a pretty easy tell.

Most stainless used in firearms are magnetic susceptible. With a tungsten rod inserted inside a bored out guide rod, it would then be magnetic and weigh almost as much as a 100% tungsten guide rod.

You would just want to be a cheat at that point, there are several other ways to add more weight to the same area that are legal.

Edited by jmorris

No one would know, just like no one would now if you were shooting 100pf loads at a local match. The question is what is the point? I have seen cheating in IDPA and it is about the most pathetic thing on earth. There is nothing to gain. If there were loads of cash or awesome prizes then I would understand it, not condone it but understand. But its IDPA...

• 2 weeks later...

For example, if you went through the trouble to drill out a guide rod, then added mercury up to the point that it weighed the same as a stock one, you would have a legal weight guide rod, plus the slight benifit of the dead blow effect of one.

Sorry to bump this older thread but I don't understand this at all. What is "dead blow effect"? Do you know if someone that actually did this?