Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 major barrel holes, how many

wes777

I have been searching, and have read a decent amount about barrel holes. However, it has mostly been posts about supercomp. Obviously I am currious about 9 major. It seems the initial thought on 9 major holes was that it was hard enough to make major already, why make it worse and risk turning a major barrel into a minor only deal. Now there is no issue making major, so what is the consensus now?

I can make well over 180 pf if necessary (its not) and barrel holes seem to pull velocity down by 20-30 fps.

photo-2_zps7dae36ef.jpg

Akai 9 major 5.4

svi bull 1 hole, shoto comp

7.5 autocomp, 124 mg, wsr/fsr/tsr, 1.170 oal.

178 pf (fast barrel?)

I intend to shoot at least 10k through this thing before I really consider drilling another hole, I just want to know what is possible.

edit to add, I have shot a similar gun in 38sc with 3 holes that is much flatter, takes similar load to make major.

Edited by wes777

I'm thinkin SLOW barrel. My FGW gun took 7.3 to make 174 out of a Schuemann 24 AET, same load in my OLD 9x23(3 holes) using a 9x19 case makes 170. My new Schuemann with a Cheely comp went 182, backed down to 7.0 and had 170. You are running the highest load I have seen posted?

I would think the 38 super with 3 holes would need more to make major and I doubt that it is anywhere near 178.

Why dont you try backing it down and see if it calms down?

Mildot

I loaded up some lower pf stuff today and I will test it soon.

Chose my words incorrectly, by similar i meant "ish", I havent sent them over a chrono, but i know he likes them hot.

I'm thinkin SLOW barrel.

Me too. I am running 7.4 WAC with a MG 121 @1.168 and was getting 174 out of my old Briley Barrel. Matt put a new Schuemann in with his new comp and it makes 177. No holes and the gun shoots pretty darn flat. 9MAJOR Cheely full size.

Even though some better powder bullet combinations are making getting to a good PF a little easier in 9mm I still think we need all the gas we can get at the comp. Holes do tend to make guns louder though.

I just added (2) 1/8" holes to my full size FGW 9-Major open gun with the Cheely comp. I think the holes made a significant difference in the way the dot tracks. It seems to return to center quicker.

I'm thinkin SLOW barrel.

Yep. I'm making 174PF in a Schuemann barrel using 7.3gr of Autocomp with a MG 115gr, or the same PF with 6.8gr of Autocomp using a MG 124gr. Both are 1.165 OAL.

Personally, I don't see the purpose of popple holes. Aren't you just bleeding off gas that would otherwise go to work the comp?

Edited by Parallax3D

I've been told that some comps just can't effectively use all the gas, and that some smaller ports will divert the gasses and lower the pressure to a useable level at the comp. some smiths won't port a 9 barrel at all, as its hard enough to make major. Personally, I think there's a lot more viable options of powders to do it now, and that's kind of old school thinking.

I started with no holes and added (2) recently. I only lost about 30 FPS on average from my major loads with HS6 and 115s. Personally, I like the way the gun tracks with the holes. I changed my load from 9.1gr to 9.3gr of HS6....to keep the PF at 175-176. Gun has a 5.4" Schuemann with Cheely Comp