Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best bullet feeder?

amante

Im a new bullet feed buyer and am researching the best bullet feeder and would like to hear from those who have bought and used a bulletmaster (formerly kiss before being partnered w/ double aplha, who redesigned the thing). A blog about reviews bulletfeeders was dated and only 3 posts on it but had someone saying that the original one man operation, kiss guy had the best design that never failed, but when it went w/ the redo, the new placement location sucked and there are other issues now with things that is now mr. bullet and would reccommend the kiss over mr. bullet.

( Except for now its not being made that way.)

Anyone else experiencing these issues or have something good to say about it?

There is also another major player out there, the GSI international which is expensive and the conversion to other calibers is about 50 to 70% of the entire initial buy for the unit itself.

There are no reviews I have seen on this unit....the one thing I noticed is that it is set up specifically for dillon and integrates right into it custom made. Im thinking that must be a good thing and would help in its functionality. The drawback it seems is that its labor intensive and not for quick caliber changes and specific for calibers requiring awhile to change over from the video I watched on their site.

Not an issue with a 650 but for a 1050 it might be unless mainly doing one caliber Im thinking, which would be OK for 223/556 which I might do for thqt press and see about something else for the 650.

Hard to find reviews about this stuff.

I got the mr bullet feeder by da..

I love it..

Not sure how i Iived with out it..

It takes some tuning but when you get everything right the things is amazing

I load 180gr bear creeks all day long..

I can do 200 rounds in 10 minutes..

I bought the new version of the mr bullet feeder from DAA I think the KISS and original mr bullet feeder were two separate bullet feeders. The original mr bullet feeder is now made by DAA and yes it has been changed but still mine runs absolutely perfect. It is by far the most trouble free piece of gear on my 650.

+1 on the new Mr Bullet Feeder. Got one, took an hour to set it up, another hour to get it perfect, saves me at least 30% on my reloading time.

If all my stuff is lined up and ready to go I can do upwards of 1200 an hour on my 650 now. That is just keeping everything full and putting the ammo in bulk containers.

I did 500 rounds of match ammo for A6 in an hour and 15 minutes. That includes case pro the brass, case gauge check on every round, and putting them in the boxes. I was not in a hurry as I tend to take some extra time looking at match stuff.

Thanks everbody! Here is a copy of the review about the kiss/mr. bullet I had found online that has me concerned. I dont know anything as I havent bought one yet so want to see about these complaints.

here it is:

I have both KISS and Mr. Bulletfeeder systems, and recently helped a friend set up a new Mr. Bulletfeeder. I have previously owned a m-a systems feeder. KISS and Mr. Bulletfeeder are two lines from the same original company, but they apparently had a falling out.

1. The new Mr. Bulletfeeder is not nearly as good as the old one. I would recommend it only with hesitation.
  2. The M-A Tech feeder is hopelessly obsoleted by the KISS and MrBulletFeeder systems, at twice the price and much more finicky to set up.
  3. The KISS bullet feeder works very well - highly recommend. The downside is delivery times may be longer than the others as he's a one-man shop. This system works extremely well and the cost is half of what bullet feeders used to be.

I have some limited experience with the Hornady bullet feeder die, which appears to work pretty well (still prefer the KISS), but no experience with their collator.

The other collators work well with jacketed and moly-coated lead bullets. They work for a while with wax-lubed lead, but eventually gum up. KISS says lead may work if you powder it with mica dust, but I have not yet tried it.

What I hate about M-A systems: very touchy setup, hard to dial in, requires an air compressor hook up, requires spare placer fingers.

(the current) Mr. Bulletfeeder: the new mounting scheme is terrible, capacity is poor, orientation adjustment is not as robust as it used to be, the dropper is not spring loaded and is prone to dropping all bullets if it hangs on the powder measure or is otherwise held in the 'up' position.

KISS: It's perfect. I hate nothing about it. It delivers bullets in the correct orientation 100% of the time with no fussy setup. The dropper is very reliable and the damn thing just works. The original had a fuse that blew periodically when it was overloaded, but that seems to have been remedied and is no longer a concern.

Bottom of Form

Don't know anything about that post. Like myself and others have said the MBF(old or new) are awesome. All of the faults the writer of that review mentioned are addressed in the instructions. Mine has never dropped more than one bullet and it easily holds a few hundred bullets.

sounds like the mr. bullet is OK. One last concern is on their site they said they were working on getting a setup for the .223/556 caliber within the year and the update I saw had some complicated info/instructions for trying to set that up.'\

Has anyone had experience with this and can review it, does it work ok?

Im primarily interested in .308/762 and .223/556 , 762/39 for quantity and not so much quantity for the pistol loads of 9mm and 45.

I have a new style Mr Bullet Feeder and my friend has the old style. Once I got mine set up and adjusted I have not had any problem with it at all. The draw back to the old style in my opinion is the amount of bench space it takes up. We don't have any trouble with either model.

I ordered the GSI feeder before the KISS existed, actually before GSI even made collators for them. I prefer them because you retain the powder check die and still seat and crimp separately. They also work with less case bell than you can even get away with feeding by hand much less the "drop" style feeders.

The KISS was the only choice for rifle and it works just as well, it just takes place of a PC die.

FWIW I have only used collators I have built and the recent ones have been made from PVC using the same concept of the KISS.

Here are some videos of them in action.

GSI on PLC controlled 1050

http://s121.photobucket.com/user/jmorrismetal/media/VIDEO0114.mp4.html

http://s121.photobucket.com/user/jmorrismetal/media/VIDEO0116-2.mp4.html

GSI on 650

http://s121.photobucket.com/user/jmorrismetal/media/reloading/bullet%20feeder/VID_20130305_152550_802_zps7819706b.mp4.html

KISS on 1050

http://s121.photobucket.com/user/jmorrismetal/media/1050.mp4.html

I bought the new version of the mr bullet feeder from DAA I think the KISS and original mr bullet feeder were two separate bullet feeders. The original mr bullet feeder is now made by DAA and yes it has been changed but still mine runs absolutely perfect. It is by far the most trouble free piece of gear on my 650.

KISS was the beginning. At some point in time, there was a falling out with the partners involved. Rick took the design and marketed it as Mr. Bullet Feeder. Rick made some upgrades to the original device; After some legal activities between KISS and Mr Bullet Feeder, they reached a settlement and both went their merry ways. Since then RIck joined up with Saul and seems to have a nice version of the device. I am not sure if KISS is still around. I have the original KISS and some small upgrades from Rick. It ain't as pretty as the new one but since it drops a bullet on the case every time I pull the 650 handle, I am still quite pleased.

Later,

Chuck

Yes, I have dealt personally with Rick and he is a super nice guy. He was trying to keep building these things by hand and had to figure something else out. He partnered with DAA to get mass production going. I actually bought my new DAA style from Rick since he is still involved in the process. As a matter of fact Rick helped me with an MBF for the prize table at the upcoming Ohio match.

Thanks Rick!

I love it..

why do I remember reading mo moly or lead, just jacketed bullets,

but obviously you made it work!

Edited by cnote

Don't over think this .. The Mr Bullet feeder from DA is what you want, period. Once I got it setup and running I'm cranking out 800-1000 per hour. And yes, you can't do lead with it, plated and jacketed just fine you just have to adjust the feeder for the different lengths of bullets if you use different sizes ...

How do u guys verify powder load before a bullet is put on?

Look at all of them and measure a few of them ;)

so there must be enough room before you pull the handle to visualize the powder charge and drop a bullet.

J

How do u guys verify powder load before a bullet is put on?

I use the powder check die. See the first three videos in post #10

The first two are on a 1050 the 3rd is of a 650.

Edited by jmorris

I am using MBFs on my 1050s and after a bunch of trial and error, have them working pretty good. Not perfect, but overall I'm happy with the performance. One thing I don't care for is the casefeed mount, which is a real Rube Goldberg arrangement. As for powder check, I can see right in the case with no problem at all for visual confirmation.

Edited by ltdmstr

I have one of the original units whose support system makes it look like a sub-floor plumbing assembly.

With some attention to the setup instructions it works fine with the moly-coated Precision Black Bullets that I run through it. Never tried lead and wouldn't. It increased my load rate by a full 50% on my Super1050. Went from ~1,200/hour to 1,800/hour. Of course, I've never loaded 1,800 in an hour because I'd need someone to switch off pulling the handle. It's tiring after a point. But even with refilling primers, bullets and brass, I believe it's a realistic rate for two people working together.

I have a small mirror and light adjusted to let me glance into each case before the next bullet is set.

I love it..

why do I remember reading mo moly or lead, just jacketed bullets,

but obviously you made it work!

Works great with Molly haven't cleaned it once..

I would gets image I load about 400 rounds a week of .40 through it..

I think I loaded over 10k rounds with it but honestly I've lost tracked :)