Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Color of steel targets

Flexmoney

The rules say all the steel shoot targets need to be the same color.

Some think they must/ought to be white (or black).

I used to really like stages that had steel of a different color than white or black. It can add to the shooting challenge. Bright yellow steel plates can really draw your attention (away from your sights). Tan can blend into the background of the berm (making it important to "lead with the eyes" to find the target)...

But, I'm not color blind. :blink:

Some think they must/ought to be white (or black).

In the stage? In the match? I think that any steel painted white shouldn't incur miss penalties --- after all we don't shoot white colored paper? Or at least that shouldn't be the plan....

Here's my take on color:

White = Penalty Target

Black = Hard Cover

Any other color = fair game as a shoot target. So if you wanted to annoy Rhino by ordering purple IPSC targets, you could --- but you'd need to order purple pasters as well.....

No, I'm not really advocating changing the color of paper, but I'd advocate changing the color of steel. The worst offenders are white penalty poppers with black XXs mixed in with white scoring poppers --- because usually the XXs aren't touched up as the match goes on....

Is that a US rule? I remember one time Aurora ran a stage from some international shoot, the last Pan Am I think, where there were three poppers each a different color, and the color of the penalty target was determined randomly at the start for each shooter.

Anyway, I like to have them red or yellow or blue or something, white and black make me think of penalty and hardcover.

4.1.2.2 The entire front of scoring metal targets must be painted a single color, preferably white

4.1.3 Penalty targets must be clearly marked or be of a single color different from scoring targets.

My take on this. For metal targets, each one must be a single color, but all do not have to be the same color.

Penalty targets must all be the same color, which to me is a contradiction to the "prefered" metal target color of white, since most paper penalty targets are white.

Question. Why can't we paint steel black? other than the fact that hard cover is usually black.

I assume that we can paint poppers any other color as long as it is one color per popper. I have been to other matches where the poppers are candy striped or even camo'd. Generally if you don't repaint them afer at least every squad, they get real hard to see anyway if they are at a distance. (thinking rifle steel here)

I Don't have a propblem with the white steel being the shoot steel, but then NS steel should be very clearly marked. Or better yet maybe painted a contrasting color?

Jim Norman

The metal targets can be painted whatever you like, according to the rules, provided they are painted with a single solid color.

We've had sanctioned level III matches with steel painted in different colors throughout the entire match (green in one stage, pale blue in another), and even different colors in the same stage (3 poppers, red, blue and yellow, the uncovered dice color was declared a penalty popper).

In the UK we have always used red to designate penalty targets. I guess the logic has been red is the stop sign colour and red for danger. Regardless of the reason every club uses adopts red in this way which makes life very easy.

Please note that there are a couple of variances in the SG & R rules. In 4.1.2.1 we permit white targets for both disciplines. In 4.1.2.2, for SG only, we permit metal targets to be left unpainted providing they are left unpainted for all. This is so that ROs don't end up as painting contractors instead of their real job! :rolleyes:

SG & Rifle 4.1.2.1 The scoring area of scoring paper targets must be of a typical cardboard color or white.

SG Only 4.1.2.2 The entire front of scoring metal targets may either be painted a single color, preferably white, or may be unpainted.

If I shoot steel it falls (or is supposed to - need to hit steel, need to hit steel... :P ), no matter what colour it is.

Any solid colour if OK. Some moaners hate red or black since they loose their dot or sights.

We just keep all steel in the match the same colour to save on 10 different paints to be used if we didn't. We're currently useing lime green automotive paint we got for free..... :rolleyes:

Well, count me as one of the moaners. Steel should not be black as a concession to iron sites, nor red as a concession to dot guys. Those with full or partial color blindness do not need us making life harder.

If penalty Steel targets are getting shot enough to need regular repainting, even those with “X”s, something is wrong.

I like colorful stages, but it needs to be on the props, not the targets.

Those with full or partial color blindness do not need us making life harder.

I agree. And, that was the point I was looking to make.

In the past, I have been all for using various colors for steel (but having it all the same color on each stage, which is what I've always thought the rule meant). The various colors add a challenge to the shooting.

But, I never had considered the problems that shooters with color blindness face.

This summer, I went to shoot some man-on-man steel with a buddy that is a solid shooter. He and I are fairly well matched. Yet I was winning most of the heats. Turns out the various colors that the arrays of steel were painted gave him fits.

I didn't feel good about winning that way.

I have a partner with the same problem. Steel gets lost in the grass or berm when we start using colors. He can see black or white fine. Using colored steel in a COF is a lot like making the big guys go prone in the middle of the Course. Doen't really test their shooting ability, just ups the sales for Advil.

In the past, I have been all for using various colors for steel (but having it all the same color on each stage, which is what I've always thought the rule meant). The various colors add a challenge to the shooting.

One color on all steel in the same stage, thats how I have read the book as well.

In Sweden red, white, yellow and blue are popular colors due to cheap supply of spray paint used in the construction business (to mark where to dig or not to dig in road work for example). The color is fast drying and covers well.

I also could have sworn that steel couldn't be painted black, but a check of the rules indicates a solid color is all that's required. Maybe it's some kind of club rule, as I know I've read that somewhere.

I always painted poppers and plates different colors on the same stage. 90% of the time the background was dirt berms. I'm color blind, but never had a problem with yellow, blue, or red steel against a background of bushes/trees/etc using iron sights. I never used colors to confuse or increase the challenge, just thought it spiffed up the stage a bit.

I never shot a painted steel target at our local match until I became MD. I acquired several cases of striping paint for free in yellow/red/blue/white, so of course I used that. Our guys were so happy to have fresh painted steel that none were color blind or it just didn't bother them. When I have to actually buy paint, I guess I'll stick with primer gray or white. Black gets saved for hard cover.

In this area I'm guessing nobody (me for sure) wants to drag out a heavy popper that isn't going to get shot (intentionally anyway), so I've never run into a steel no-shoot. I can see how white painted steel could be confusing if steel no-shoots are used.

Several years ago black steel was forbidden. Everybody was shooting iron sights at the time. I don't know if that was a real rule in the book or not, but I remember the discussion at the Nationals the year all the poppers were black. A few years later when dot sights were starting to become popular, all the poppers were red at the Nationals. :huh:

Bill Nesbitt

Hi guys,

There are two issues here. The first is that we run shooting competitions, not memory contests, so it's far better to have consistent popper colours throughout an entire match (i.e. not changing from stage to stage).

The second issue is colour blindness, and I don't just mean people who are Deuteranope, Pritanope or Tritanope. Red poppers makes it difficult for those with red dot scopes, black poppers makes it tough for those with black-on-black iron sights, green poppers blend into the background and so on.

Moreover, in view of the fact that hits on Penalty poppers are sufficient to incur a penalty (i.e. they don't need to actually fall), the optimal solution is to have all poppers painted white or yellow, with penalty poppers marked with a black "X" or a consistent contrasting colour.

Here, most of the poppers are always white, and no shoot poppers are also white with a black X on them.

Sometimes, the NS popper is painted red.

I always understood the rules as : All poppers must be painted in the same color (whatever that color is) on each and every stage.

NS poppers must be clearly marked as so (different color or a big X on it).

While I see nothing wrong with white poopers and N/S poppers with a X, I also see no reason to mandate that. The potential problem arises when you can see a portion of the popper from a different spot and perhaps not see the X. "Hey looks like a shoot from here!" more likely to affect Open than any other division since they are more likely to take a tight long shot.

Any light color should be OK, as long as a dot contracsts sufficiently. Black poppers are a pain since irons tend to disappear on them. Requiring onoly one color on a stage, why? So long as you are OBVIOUS with the N/S steel assuming you have any, why shouldn't you be allowed to have a spruced up stage? Whire, Yellow, Gray, Pale Blue, etc.? I think IF I were to do this, I might mandate that NS Steel be WHITE, just like the NS Paper.

Jim

I agree w/Jim, and that the way the rules are written, steel targets must be painted one color, but all don't have to be the same color. So you can have one white, one yellow, one pink, one baby blue, etc, but you can't have one that looks like a candy cane.

MDs must keep in mind to try and keep the steel distinct from iron and dot sights as well as the background. Don't make green steel when the back of the berm is grass, and don't use tan or gold when the back of the berm is sand. Make sure NS steel is obvious either by color or X's that can be seen from every shooting angle.

My 2 pennies

Travis