Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the best low profile ear muffs?

I am looking for a pair of low profile ear muffs. When i shoot shotgun or rifle the stock rasies up the ear muffs just enough to let a little bit of noise in, shotgun isnt bad but my comped ar is really loud and I want to save what hearing i have left. I dont mind the ear plugs they just take longer to insert. Let me know what you all use.

Thanks Coleman

Howard Leight Impact Sport is a good comfortable set of electronic hearing protection. I went to these after having a custom set of ear plugs made (the blue ones in the avatar photo) but they bothered my ear canals after just an hour or so. They tend to shove earwax down toward your eardrum.... not good.

I like having the ability to vary the volume based on what I'm doing. If I'm shooting pistol I can turn the microphones off and still hear the beep. If I'm RO'ing I can hear the score keeper repeat my called target scores. If I'm shooting my comped AR, I put a pair of soft ear plugs in under the turned off headset. I also like that there is one on/off/volume switch for both microphones. They are narrow enough to clear my shotgun and AR stocks.

Shop around for them. I got a set for $49 shipped off of E-Bay while the local gunstore was selling them for $79.99.

BC

impact_sport_main.jpg?1345620847

Edited by BillChunn

I wear those howard leights as well.

I'm interested to see if there's another price/value comparable set of muff.

I wear the surefire earpro plugs most of the time, but an open gun or RO'ing I like the muffs for their amplification.

The dillon hp1 is far superior to the Howard leights

I've used both, and the only way I can use the Howard leights is with them almost turned off, the ear cups are too small and I find them to be uncomfortable

The hp1 on the other hand is does a better job of protecting your hearing, it seals around the ear better, the electronic do a better job of cutting out gunfire, the only down side of them besides being only rated at 21 nrr, is I had to replace the ear cushions annually

I went through the same process as you and ending up buying a nice, expensive pair without paying much attention to the NRR rating (but later found out that they were only NRR of 21). Well, after shooting Open for a while, I noticed my ears were ringing all the time. Went to the doc and found out I have Tinnitus If I were you, I would look for higher NRR and even double plugging if you can stand it. I went with the ProEar Gold with an NRR 33 and I can really tell a difference after a match or practice session. Save your ears and get the highest NRR you can afford and double plug if possible.

• 3 weeks later...

I like my Howard leights a lot. Only issue I have with them is indoor use in a small range. Seems like no matter how I adjust them, they still don't give me great hearing protection. But with that being said, it still isn't enough for me to go out and look for another pair. Amazon or eBay will most likely have them for a fair price

MSA Sordin Pro IV. I had the Peltor Tac 6S and the Sordin's are far superior. First off, they are very comfortable. I can wear mine all day and not really notice them. You can also get gel pads for them which many people rave about. I may try these because mine pads are wearing out due to use. Second, they have very good sound. The clarity of the amplification is excellent. This becomes very important if you use them with foam ear plugs when indoors or around lots of machine guns. No single hearing pro is enough when lots of people are shooting indoors. Third, they have excellent battery life - 200 hrs on 2 AAA. Finally, they are very rugged. Pat Rogers, the military trainer, recommended them to me for their durability. Most of this, though, is subjective. But I do believe they are considered one of the best in the market. They are super expensive, though. I waited for a group buy to get mine.

Be careful going by NRR ratings. I find they are not that accurate from company to company. Got ones you can afford and are comfortable.

Edited by dghboy315

Agree on the MSA Sordins. Far better than the Peltor 6s and better-sounding/more comfortable/better sealing with the gel cups than the Leights. The Leights are a very good value, but they don't work as well or consistently stay in place/seal as well as the Sordins. There were times I'd have the Leights shift on me during movement and didn't seal as well over a hat and glasses. The Sordins with gel cups do.

I also loved the MSA Sordins and have a set. If you use these, they are very comfortable (for me) and with the gel cups, amazing. However, they have a low NRR rating and I noticed that after a session at the range, my ears were ringing. You will probably have to double plug if you use these. Getting a good seal is vital to getting the most out of your hearing protection and these give it, just like my ProEars, but I don't have the ringing in my ears with the ProEars. Now I have Tinnitus and that will never go away. Get the best you can afford, use glasses that will allow a good seal, and double plug if you have to...you don't want to get Tinnitus, it's such a nuisance and extremely uncomfortable.

I have been wearing MSA Sordin Pros for the last 5 years. They do not interfer when shooting rifles and shotguns and the noise reduction is excellent. I replaced the standard pads with the gel pads a couple of years ago and suggest you purchase them when you buy the Sordins. The comfort factor is much better with the foam pads.

Edited by Jaxshooter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have been wearing MSA Sordin Pros for the last 5 years. They do not interfer when shooting rifles and shotguns and the noise reduction is excellent. I replaced the standard pads with the gel pads a couple of years ago and suggest you purchase them when you buy the Sordins. The comfort factor is much better with the foam pads.

+1 for MSA with gel pads

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've tried the Howard Leight's but found I still needed ear plugs even for pistols outdoors. I have the Peltor's and they're great. Indoor ranges require plugs still when the guy next to you is shooting a magnum, and muzzle brakes are still loud, but everything else is fine without plugs at all.

The amplification works so well that I frequently don't even realize I have them on, and when a shooter goes to the line, I reach to pull the muffs down.

Howard Leight Impact Sport is a good comfortable set of electronic hearing protection. I went to these after having a custom set of ear plugs made (the blue ones in the avatar photo) but they bothered my ear canals after just an hour or so. They tend to shove earwax down toward your eardrum.... not good.I like having the ability to vary the volume based on what I'm doing. If I'm shooting pistol I can turn the microphones off and still hear the beep. If I'm RO'ing I can hear the score keeper repeat my called target scores. If I'm shooting my comped AR, I put a pair of soft ear plugs in under the turned off headset. I also like that there is one on/off/volume switch for both microphones. They are narrow enough to clear my shotgun and AR stocks.Shop around for them. I got a set for $49 shipped off of E-Bay while the local gunstore was selling them for $79.99.BCimpact_sport_main.jpg?1345620847

I wear custom molded ear plugs, but I do have a pair of Howard Leights in my bag.