Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New SP-01 shadow target

massrog

Hello, I'm new both here and to pistol shooting. I am considering taking my new toy to some steel matches or other competitions sooner or later but I am from"the People's Republic of Massachusetts" and can only own 10 rounders. Is there any way to effectively compete with them? Does anyone know if old pre ban hi caps will run in the new customs? Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the lead Steve! I have to learn to shoot a little better before I shoot at a match but I'll come out to watch ASAP. I hope to meet you at a shoot. Are there any "fun" matches in Mass. where I can get my feet wet? Thanks again!

I'm sure there are some fun matches around, however i am mostly familiar with just the uspsa stuff.

there is a steel challenge match next Sunday at new Bedford, my home club, but i won't be there.

Steel challenge is a great way to get your feet wet. No movement really, and if you aren't comfortable drawing from a holster, you can start from the low ready.

Most important thing is just be safe. You can pick up the rest along the way.

Steve

Do they allow non club/assoc. members to come watch or shoot ? I'm on the North Shore so New Bedford would be a hike for a goose chase. I would really like to pick it up by "osmosis" at first then try the real thing. Truth is I don't have the holster yet so I'd look foolish coming to shoot.. Any suggestions for a rig ror the Shadow anyone?

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

We have a IPSC practice every Wed night at Hopkinton Sportsman Club. New shooters welcome. Indoor in winter and outside all spring/summer and fall. We also have IPSC matches once monthly starting in April. Again new shooters welcome.

Don't fall into the 'I need to get a little better before I compete' trap .... My first match I had 23 mikes and finished last in Production and last overall ... 47th out of 47 ... It simply doesn't matter. You can't learn to shoot at a match unles you shoot at a match. As long as you can safely handle your CZ you're good enough to shoot the match ...

• 2 weeks later...

.... My first match I had 23 mikes and finished last in Production and last overall ... 47th out of 47 ...

but you were _ahead_ of everyone that didn't come out to shoot, and you had fun (I hope!)

• 2 months later...

Yup, go for it massrog. I also finished last or near the bottom few places for at least 2 years (not coming dead last was a great day lol) so I wouldn't worry at all...as has been said, if you're safe, you can shoot!

Also my entire country is consigned to 10 rounders :rolleyes: so it can be done. Just remember to start with one up the spout if possible then load a fresh mag so you have 11 first off. And maybe a few more mags down the track if you decide to shoot IPSC/USPSA. I never step onto a firing line with less than 61 all up lol