Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your favorite 40 caliber load (major)

Zerwas

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing is really wrong with Unique, but most people here tend to subscribe to the fast powder, fewer grains of powder loaded = less felt recoil all else being equal. Unique being middle of the road is not considered a fast powder (231, Red Dot, Bullseye, Vitt whatever it is, 700x, titegroup, etc). For those of us that are more careful or don't like living on the edge, and can't really feel the difference, the middle of the road powders work well for us (Unique, PB, 800X, Universal, etc). It's all about preferences. It's nice that we have so many choices.

As we speak, I'm going to be using a Major load with Powder Pistol and 140 RN - 40's in my revolver due to finding a good deal on the bullets. I tested 100 today and they are pretty accurate out to 40 yards (out of 18 rounds, 15 stayed in the A zone of a classic target) and this was off hand. I'll be switching to a mild load of red dot for ICORE soon after our sectional match this weekend since my pf only needs to make 120 or so.

Vince

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok guys...I've only been reloading for a few weeks and I don't shoot USPSA yet. I have 165gr bullets to practice with. I am looking for a load using Titegroup with 165gr. I don't need to make minor or major just yet. Just need a starting point since there is nothing on the Hodgdon site for 165grs. This would be for a 4 inch barrel.

It looks like I should start shooting 180gr. so I can find all the load data I need on this page. Lots to be had.

Thanks!!

• 4 months later...
Ok guys...I've only been reloading for a few weeks and I don't shoot USPSA yet. I have 165gr bullets to practice with. I am looking for a load using Titegroup with 165gr. I don't need to make minor or major just yet. Just need a starting point since there is nothing on the Hodgdon site for 165grs. This would be for a 4 inch barrel.

It looks like I should start shooting 180gr. so I can find all the load data I need on this page. Lots to be had.

Thanks!!

Please, for God's sake, tell us that you are using a Lee or EGW Brand "U" or undersized resizing die and that you are checking the charges if you are using a 550 or similar.

Why?

From what I have seen, if you are ever goign to have a .40 problem, then .40s will suffer case head separation from SET BACK and catastrophic failure from double charges w/ small volume powder like TG. I have used TG w/ complete safety (so far). Here is how to avoid ever having these problems:

I strongly suggest that you invest in: EGW/Lee carbide "U" die (less than $20) -a can of OneShot spray like the one shown in Brian Enos' video, and a powder checker for your XL-650 or a strong light for your 550/SDB. The Lee factory crimp die (its the ONLY carbide one sold) also helps all your ammo gauge/chamber/-check correctly. Load on,

D.

I loaded some titegroup behind 155 grain bullets and they did what i wanted them to do(cycle a 6 inch gun faster than 180 grain loads.) but they were 175 power factor and pretty violent.

I loaded them with titegroup...and got a pretty big flash even from a 6 inch barrel. im guessing major 165s with titegroup in a 4inch pistol...is gonna be tough..

harmon.

I started shooting 180s with N320 about 10 years ago when the PF was 175. Another local GM and I were loading around 5.0 to 5.2 grains with a 180 at 1.160"....A VV tech named Jukke Lumme ( if I recall right ) tested the load with a Gold Dot bullet and said the temperature was right, the loading density was great and the pressure was no problem!

10 years and 200,000 rounds later I still use around 4.8-4.9 grains of N320 with a good 180 at 1.160" for around 950 fps (depending on which of my aging SVs you use).

I have no intention of ever changing unless N320 just goes away....!

Mick

A27257

N320 :wub:

Anyone using VV N310? I have 4 lbs of it and was thinking about using it.

Loaded out long (1.200+) it is apparently viable in major .40 - and I believe TGO has his load data from when he used it ob his site. Its on the edge (pressure wise) though so be particularly careful w/ it. I just use N320 instead.

This isn't a Titegroup load, but it is 165 gr bullet.

6.0 Univ. Clays, 165 gr Sierra bullet, gave me exactly 1,000 fps in a 4.5 barrel TZ.

As for the original post, 5.3 gr. W-231 with a 180 gr cast bullet (Rucker) had a power factor of 182 from the same 4.5" barrel.

Edited by Al Capizzo

STI Edge:

4.9gr VV n320 180g JHP MG bullet 1.200 OAL makes 169 (it even made major at Area 4! :) )

Glock G35 factory barrel:

4.3g Titegroup 180g JHP MG bullet 1.135 OAL makes 170 (unless its REAL cold and then you'll be REAL close to the edge.. :P )

Edited by cnemikeman

Does anyone have a Win231 MAJOR load for 180gr TC .40sw? I'd like to be around 175 power factor. ...I don't have access to a chrono yet.

Thanks,

Darren

-------58 degrees and Sunny--------------

G35 FACTORY BARREL 4.8g-W231 180

948.72 170.7696

----------------------------------------------------

Edited by cnemikeman

i would like to try N310,, though i somehow think it wont be any better than CLAYS..

harmon

I have (8lbs of it)and it's way snappier than clay's and when it get's warmer out watch your primers! :o

Your findings are strange. I have always know vihtavuori for not fluctuating with temperature changes like other powders?