Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550B OR XL650

I have read the pros and cons of both but still have questions. I am new to reloading . Using a Redding T7 now . It is slower than I thought reloading 380 and 9mm. I am thinking of using the T7 for my lesser used calipers like 30-06 and 7mm08. Then getting a Dillion for the 380, 9mm and maybe 223.

From what I see , you have to take your hand off the handle of the 550 every cycle to load a case where as you don't with the XL650. Seems to me that is worth thinking about. No?

Also it looks like you deprime ,size and prime on station 1. I like to deprime and clean my brass first. Primer pockets are clean before priming. I don't have a problem with the XL650 being more complex and taking longer to change calipers.The 550 will churn out enough ammo for me .Just think it would be nice to keep your right hand on the handle.

Also not in a hurry to get either one[can order] as the ebay prices are nuts. Thanks

Normally most people only clean the primer pockets on long range rifle brass not on pistol. On pistol brass it is entirely unneeded. That being said either press will make very good ammo for you at a decent rate.

Brian

The 650 is normally bought with a brass feeder or you can option up the 550 to feed brass, therefore you don't need to take your hand off the handle with either IF you buy the brass feeder. Station 1 deprimes & sizes, Station 2 primes. You can run all your brass through station 1 & nothing else,(kind of like most folks do with their rifle brass) clean your pockets, (which almost no one does on pistol brass), & then make a second pass where you do all the rest. That will take two toolheads, one with just the resizing die, one with all the rest. I suggest you buy your press from Brian Enos, the host of this forum, not from EBay unless you are buying used. Even then I suggest you know for sure exactly what you are getting & what that same press would cost you new. You may find a steal but not likely on EBay. No dillon dealer is allowed to sell their presses cheaper than any other dealer but Brian is allowed to help you with your shipping costs.

MLM

Thanks, thats what I meant when I said I wasn't in a hurry to get one. I would buy from Brian. In the meantime I am gaining knowledge every time I reload. Can't do 223 on the 550 with a case feeder either, right? A plus for the XL650.

Can't do 223 on the 550 with a case feeder either, right? A plus for the XL650.

I don't know about that. I had a 550 but wasn't loading 223 on it or had a brass feeder. I have 2 650s now, one stays setup for 223. It works great with two passes of brass through it. One pass deprimes & trims/resizes on the dillon trimmer. The next pass does it all. I trimmed/sized 80pcs of brass the other night in 7 minutes just sitting there pulling the handle. As I was getting nearly finished I decided to check time. Had 80 trimmed in 7 minutes allowing a count of 1,2 on each trim after easing brass up into trimmer. IOW, I don't slam the handle down hard to get the brass into the feeder. Just push handle down smooth & steady, pause for short count & it works great! Filled a small military ammo can with trimmed sized brass ready to load in a short period of time. :-)

I like the 550 but I love the 650. Used to load 300rds of pistol in 1hr looking in each piece of brass for powder on 550 with no brass feeder. I now load 300rds of pistol ammo in a half hour on the 650 with brass feeder while still looking in each piece of brass for powder just to satisfy my OCD. hahaha. I do have a powder checker on the 223 loader. Kind of gives piece of mind & is easier than trying to see down in the brass on rifle rounds. I never wonder while I'm shooting if I am gonna have a squib or not.

Lots of folks load much faster than I do but for me, the time includes filling primer tubes, dumping brass in feeder, keeping up with powder, & hand feeding bullets. I don't break a sweat, either. I enjoy the speed of the 650 but I don't intend to make it into hard work.

MLM

Dillon March Blue Press,

Dillon RL550B - $439.95 basic press with one conversion.

Dillon XL650 - $566.95 basic press one conversion.

$127.00 difference and worth every penny if loading for comp.

I have both and the 650 is just as easy/fast to set-up. Plus a hole for a powder check.

Your choice and wallet. LOL

Call or E-Mail DDillon for a copy of Blue Press. Lots of product info. and purty girls on the cover, you'll like it.

Perry

OH !

I forgot to tell you there's nothing magic about either press.

Good set-ups will yield good ammo.

One has to pay attention to everthing, or be counting your fingers often.

Mount a lite and a mirrow on the press and pay attention. Wear safety glasses. Don't do dumb SHEIT!

Be SAFE,

Perry

I already get the Blue Press. I also have a 600 Super Swager and Calendar on b/o since mid January. Thought I would have gotten the calendar by now.Thanks for the info guys.I think looking back that maybe I was thinking I couldn't load precision ammo with a progressive.

I have both and love them both. With the 550, I can load ~400 rounds 9mm/hour, and with the 650 I can load ~600/hour. I reload the higher volume stuff on the 650 and lower volume on the 550. With lower volumes, it really doesn't matter. I work out of my home and have the luxury of loading 1-200 in the morning, then another 200 at lunch, and another 2-300 at night. Rarely do I spend more than 2 hours at a time cranking out ammo. Thus, either one can be made to work just fine.

Having said that, I prefer the 650 for a couple of reasons:

1. Less physical movement without the need to feed cases with one hand while advancing/seating bullets with the other hand
  2. Less cognitive load without the need to visually inspect powder level in each case if you use the powder check add-on.

The downside is the time it takes to change calibers. You won't have to change from small to large primers, saving you a couple of steps. There are some other complexities with more moving parts with the case feeder, drop mechanism, and station 1 slide, but they either work themselves out over time or you get used to compensating for them.

If I had the money for a 650 with accoutrements, I'd buy it again over a 550.

Have both use the 650 for pistol calibers 9mm, 40, 38 super and 38 special.

Use the 550 for 223, 45, and 30-06.

Both good machines comes down to how much do you want to spend.

I would not buy the 650 if your not willing to spend the funds for the case feeder, strong mount and would do the roller handle on both.

There's no need to use the strong mount on the 550 but you'll need to work under the 650 once in a while and the strong mount is needed to keep from pulling the press off the bench.

I do consider the case feeder a necessary piece for the 650 however, I personally consider the strong mount & the roller handle nice extras. If you can shell up the bucks, might as well. If money is tight, I would not. I have neither & have never felt handicapped but to each their own, right? I'm sure if I had the roller handle I would think it is the greatest thing ever made, though. Both my 650s are mounted at the edge of my countertop & neither one has been removed since they were bolted down. Ummm, maybe 7 years or so? Not sure. I did have to tighten the nuts on my pistol loader yesterday, though, as one was slightly loose.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary!

MLM

Having owned a 550 (with and with out casefeeder), LnL and 650 in that order I would get the 650. Powder check on bottle neck rifle is very nice. Casefeeder is very nice on the 650 (not nearly as nice on the 550). ONLY reason to get the 550 is to save money on the press and caliber conversions.

I own a hornady lnl and its great for all the calibers I use and its easier to adjust the powder drop since I use the same powder for two calibers and have another drop for the other caliber 9&40 and 38 super. I have to hand feed the case and bullet with my left hand and I keep my right on the handle. I like the primer system and how easy it is to pull any case out at any point in the reloading process and I can see into all the cases easily since its attached to the bench. That said the xl650 mounted right next to it is far and away the better machine for mass reloading. Doing 45, 9mm and 223 on that one makes me wish I would have just ponied up the extra cash and just bought the 650 to begin with. Fast change over, excellent consistency of ammo and especially the powder drop, case feeder is awesome, great for bulk loads. If you plan on pumping out large quantities (1000 or more) in one sitting or before moving to another caliber I wholeheartedly recommend the xl650. Good luck and have fun.

As a side note: this is why I love shooting so much, not only do I get to shoot, but I get to tinker, learn, discuss and debate and all of this is done with some of the greatest people I've ever met. Good times

Had both a 650 and a 550. Then one day i realized that i hadn't removed the cover on my 550 in over two years. Sold the 550 and added a second 650. Don't miss the 550 one bit.

It is a personal preference. The 550 is more manual so it gives YOU greater control over the output. Something goes wrong it is easy to correct the problem and then continue from where you left off. The stages are not dependent on each other because it does not auto advance. It will produce a nice quantity of ammo in a short period of time.

The 650 has some nice automation to it that can speed up the process, BUT comes at the expense of less control over the final product. Something goes wrong and you clean the machine out and start again at stage one. It takes more time and effort to set up and a bit more work to keep running efficiently. It will produce 200 to 300 more rounds per hour than the 550 because it auto advances.

The 1050 has a lot of automation and will crank out the most ammo. It takes the longest to set up and the most work to keep running efficiently, but when set up right it will produce a lot of ammo in a short period of time.

I load on a 550 because I like having control over each step, and I do not need to load up 500 to 1,000 rounds a week.

I upgraded from a 550 to a 650 and haven't looked back. Being able to knock out 800+ rounds in a hour means less time reloading and more time shooting. The 550 is a great machine, but the 650 is a greater machine.

On either the roller handle will save wear and tear on the palm. My 650 has in excess of 50,000 rounds loaded and has broken some parts most being the head off the advancement spring. With the strong mount it's a simple task to replace. Without the strong mount you'll need to pull the machine off the bench.

Either machine try and mount it level it will run better. On a 550 your eyes are the powder check so good lighting is required. I bought a small lamp from Lowes that clamps and bent the head so I can see better it's on my 550 and 650 sells for under twenty bucks.

I bought my 650 from a friend who didn't enjoy reloading a few years back wish I had bought one sooner. I have loaded on every machine Dillon makes even an old 1000. Started on a 450 when you had to push the power and primer knobs with no tool head.

I like the primer system on the 650 better than any of the others. I've polished a few parts in the primer system and it runs like cutting butter. It's all a matter of cost and what you can afford. 550 great entry machine, 650 will double the cost but run faster and easier.