Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumler's Tumbler "B" Model 140 Review

I finally received my Thumler's Tumbler from Sinclair (about $200) after being on backorder for 3 weeks. I unpacked the box and everything looks well protected and good so far. As I do my inspection, I am starting to get disappointed.

1. The sheet metal that supports the shafts is to is too light of a gauge, maybe 18 gauge. When the 2 shafts with the rubber bushings on each end of the shaft are pressed and "snapped" in to place, the sheet metal decides to its going to make a reasonable effort to square itself up and become perpendicular to the shafts.

2. The motor that drives the shaft is not made in the United States. I can live with that as much as I don't like it, but two (2) studs are bolted on the bracket to support the motor. Then, and this was the killer for me, four (4) studs stick out the other side and serve no purpose whatsoever, except maybe to get caught on something or to cut your hand.

3. The hardware is just plain crappy, sorry. It's a handful of stamped out cheap wing nuts that are clear zinc coated. They should be either stainless or a heavier gauge.

Now, here's where this product makes the ridiculous list for the day: when I called the manufacturer and asked him why there are 4 long studs hanging out in space his response was, "oh those, they're there for a different model, just go ahead and cut them off if you'd like to." It's just my opinion, but I think the product is poorly designed and looks cheap.

The tumbler may very well be the best known to mankind in terms of the results, but the way it's designed and manufactured, well you decide for yourself. I suppose if results are all that matters to you, then you won't care how it's made - take a look:

post-44288-0-98713500-1362009842_thumb.j

post-44288-0-53287300-1362009963_thumb.j

I ride a KTM 640 Adventure. I have had a couple of KTM's over the years, and if KTM's were tumblers, my thread wouldn't exist. Anyway, I'm not sure. I am kind of a quality nut, so maybe I'll take a look at a Lortone.

I just read a review on another forum and the guys said he's had his for 30 years and works great. Here's his comment:

For perhaps 30 + years i have used lortin lapidary tumbler with joy dishwashing liquid and bb gun bbs to clean my casings, every time i shoot them ! not counting the approx 15 ,000 rounds of brass that i have sold or given away to friends! the only thing ive replaced is the drive belt .

this machine is ment to run 24/7 for rock polishing.

It has bronze bushings for the two roller bars that supports the drum

I have a small one and have run many hundreds of loads thru it stainless tumbling brass. I'd go for the QT-12 if I were to buy another.

My shooting partner built a big homemade one and now I just use the small Lortone for experimental purposes.

I've had that same model Thumblers Tumbler for about 30 years. My brother would do all the reloading when I was a kid and let it run for days at a time to get brass "really shiny." I remember that tumbler running almost non stop during the summer.. and 1/2 that time during the winter. I adopted the tumbler maybe 15 years ago and have put 1000's of rounds through it (I only tumble for a little while though) and the ONLY Part I've ever replaced was the rubber drive belt. It may not look like much but now a days, to get something that's actually made of metal is a good thing in my opinion. I say, stick with it and it will give you years, and years, and years of service. BTW, anybody that's worked with motors sees studs like this all over the place. They are for various applications that the motor is designed for... a tumbler isn't the only thing you'll see that motor in. I would worry about them as a sign for anything except that the motor is a common one.

I understand the multiple application with the studs. If anything, they should have used the four studs to provide more support on the bracket rather than two studs at the top. The motor is beefy and looks a bit droopy hanging off the sheet metal support. Everyone likes what they like, but for me, I wasn't real happy with it and it's all packed up waiting for a return to Sinclair.

For the price ($180 street) I think that the construction leaves something to be desired. But it does seem to work and this model has a good reputation for being durable. I am particularly not pleased with the length of the bolts in the motor casing because they come dangerously close to the drive wheel. If that's all they had then fine, but take a few minutes to cut them down to size rather than making me do that.

I find that the capacity, is a bit small for doing pistol brass, but it works great for my rifle brass.

I have been using a Model B thumbler for many years. The only thing I have had to replace was the drive belts. I am on my fourth one. I do not want to even estimate how many rounds I have cleaned over the years. It was designed to do rock polishing and can run hours and hours. I have started it and left it running for 36 hours by accident and it just keeps working.

Jay

I ended up buying the Lortone QT12. It seems a bit sturdier, but their factory rep had only good things to say about the Thumler unit. I tried it tonight with stainless pins, some dawn, lemishine and water. For my first time I did okay, but this is a lot different experience than using a Dillon vibratory bowl with corn media. It's more work for sure, but I find it fun to do. That's what a hobby is about.

Dog

I've had that Thumbler Tumbler for a couple months now.

My impression of it when I got it and got it runnign was not good, not for the cost of the item. IMO I agree it is poorly constructed and

flimsy in a few key areas.

One that stood out to me was the cheap motor mount set up. My Tumbler motor had a lot of shake to it when driving the tumbler

and the cheap plastic pulley on the tumbler assembly was one, out of alignment (fixed by me) and 2 out of round. I could not fix the out of round ness and that introduces un-needed wobble and vibration on the motor and mount.

I determined after watching the unit run that the cheap steel angle mounts would break sooner than later due to the vibration. I used

one of the unneeded bolts sticking out the back of the motor to shove a rubber home brew motor vibration isolator under.

That greatly reduced the motor vibration.

Overall I'm happy with it, it does the job I wanted. However for 180 some odd dollars and all, frankly I was not happy especially with

it supposedly being made in the USA. SLoppy workmanship I expect that sort of thing from Made in China, not on Made in USA.

So I hope it holds up. Perhaps it is just the newer units that have slipped in quality construction. I hear people have used them for many

years but those of course were made years ago.

I had to mod mine to not slip when in use by gluing some sandpaper on the main drum. Else the thing would just spin out. I was careful not

to overload it, 5lbs SS media, no more than 2 pounds brass and just enough water to reach within 2 or 3 inches of the lip.

Now that I have the sandpaper (actually some foot grip stuff I had laying around , sandpaper for steps, stairways etc) in place I can

load the unit with up to 3lbs brass with no issues. Motor doesn't seem to mind and I only need to run it for 1 and a half hours to clean

brass squeeky clean.

I dunno why some people run for 3 hours plus. I've yet to find a reason to run it longer than 2 hours per load max. /shrug.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using the model B Thumbler for 2 months now. Yes the frame is light gauge steel and the motor studs are way too long, for no reason . But it cleans brass really well.

First thing I did was replace the cheap wing nuts for the lid with 1/4-20 female free spinning fluted round knobs from McFeely's.[JKA-2501D] Makes it much easier to access the lid.

I also spayed some dry lube film on the 2 shafts where they rotate in the bushings.

SouthwindVa, thanks for the part #'s on those knobs. Just ordered some.

Granted the Thumbler is made like a piece of crap. I always WAY overload it with brass ( because I have no patience ) run it for 1 hour with SS media, Dawn and Lemishine and things look as good as new. Actually, I'm really surprised I haven't burned up the motor yet...When this thing finally gives up the ghost, I will be looking into a Lortone model

• 5 months later...

Pull the rubber unit from the inside of the drum,

If the inside of the drum is UNPAINTED, prime and paint it

with RustOleum paint to prevent drum rust from occurring.

I replaced the Wingnuts with Anti-Vibration knobs

FEMALE 1/4-20 Fluted,

from McFeeley's (JKA-2500).

Knob O.D. and Width is important so as to not cause interference.

I also made (use the steel side plate as a template)

a 1/8" Lexan side plate for the drum,

for switching in with the metal one to flush the dirty water out.

It has a 1" hole for a water hose fill,

and 180 degrees opposite it has a small 4" FINE MESH STRAINER,

(finer than the Stainless Steel Pin Media) glued on with silicon sealer,

after I broke off the handle part.

I just stick a hose in the 1" hole and let it flush until the water runs clear.

I found the strainer at Wal-Mart's, kitchen gadgets area,

it's not a cheap/junk one, it was about $8.00.

It had a RED handle, I forget the Brand, but it was an UP SCALE one.

Edited by moonman16

I have a Thumler's and it is about 30 years old and still works great!! I Mostly use stainless steel media in it, but the other day I put some Walnut media in it to see how it would work, and it worked out just fine, not as good as the SS but still good. The only thing I have had to replace was the little rubber belt that drives the motor.

• 3 months later...

I've used my Thumler Model B for 6 months now, as many as 5 times a day. I also thought it looked a little flimsy at first, but have had no issues with it - works as advertised, and my brass looks NEW when it comes out. Did replace the wingnuts on the drum with the knobs from McFeely's.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/JKA-2500/14-20-Female-Fluted-Anti-Vibration-Knob

They're going for 86 cents each as of the time of this post, and a dollar shipping for the entire order. I bought a dozen, since they also fit several places on both my Meade and Celestron telescopes.

Edited by Lynngordon