Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maker's Mark....reducing proof

Interesting.

The change was done only after extensive testing showed it didn't alter the taste of Maker's Mark, he said.

"Paramount in our decision was ensuring the taste standard is exactly the same," Samuels said.

I'd probably go with a price increase too. They can increase the price all they need to (to adjust sales to supply). They can only adjust the water so much.

When I drink it neat, I usual add a drop or two - 1/4 teaspoon of water at most just to help it open up a bit. Maybe I've been drinking 84 all along.

I'd also raise the price to meet the demand.

Edited by lumpygravy

What I wonder is about the dilution factor.

I'm assuming that their tasters (at a minimum) have not been able to distinguish between 84 and 90 proof samples. I would also hope that they've done enough field research with regular Makers' consumer to validate the claim.

What I wonder is about the dilution factor.

I'm assuming that their tasters (at a minimum) have not been able to distinguish between 84 and 90 proof samples. I would also hope that they've done enough field research with regular Makers' consumer to validate the claim.

Bourbon Review says it's good.

Though diluting bourbon sounds like alcohol abuse, I'm sure they planned on some uproar until people taste it.

I really doubt that reducing the alcohol content a bit is going to really effect the taste, after all most people dilute it with something anyway. I actually find that if the alcohol content is too high, it begins to adversely effect the taste.

At right around the same price point or just a bit higher, my previous favorite used to be Elijah Craig 12yr. But I now have a new favorite and that is Bulleit Bourbon. It's right at the same price as Makers Mark and uses rye as a second grain which gives a smoother taste.

If you like a bourbon Manhattan, try Bulleit Rye whiskey instead of bourbon.

Apparently there has been a great deal of backlash (shocking, right?) about this decision and they are "reconsidering". What's been funny has been all the little jabs other distilleries have been making at them for it lol

Someone here recommended Woodford Reserve....very nice bourbon!

I don't care what Makers does. They were a good whiskey at its price point. Now they are priced near woodford, I'll stick to woodford.