Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

I'm assuming he has his machine modeled in solidworks and he uses HSMworks in soldiworks for CAM IIRC. So if he built in some adjustment features (screws perhaps?) that he can simply turn and indicate his slide in like he would in a vise, his cam will know where everything is based off the top being parallel to his X axis (and A axis really), then he just programs his cam in an assembly with the 4th and fixture in it so his machine knows were everything is.

Alternately if he has a probe he could probe the slide at each rotation to find his x and his computer can compute the angle his slide is sitting at and adjust his code to suit. Could probably probe it all at once and store the angles somewhere till he program calls them up.

just thinking through how I would tackle it... actually want to build a fixture with built in adjustment screws, I hate the shimming of slides

Edited by amish_rabbi

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps, thought about that also. I haven't seen a macro program for a renshaw type probe that communicates back the two measurements that feeds it back to the cam software. That definitely would be one way around it. Probably would have to do step 2 you mentioned and each slide may be a little different.

And to get these numbers subtract the difference from work coordinate values from the absolute values from x and y. And when you draw it in cad or dxf you can draw it straight because its easier, use the numbers to find the angle then rotate the drawing accordingly. But then your x zero changes so it throws more pieces into the puzzle.

Maybe for the fixture make a sine the slide mounts into for leveling instead of jack screws that are hard to get at once the slide is mounted. Tap the sine on each end so when its tighten it draws it in tight against the block it fits in.

post-50527-0-24980800-1422585113_thumb.p

You guys are over thinking this. The slide and fixture are mounted square to everything, no adjustment, as rigid and stable as possible. After that everything is done with programming in the CAM software and yes all the work holding and 4th axis is in the CAD model. I only need to know where the front of the slide is, everthing else is already known.

Edited by jid2

You guys are over thinking this. A pocket calculator and some trig is all the macro you need. ;)

When I started working on CNC's back in 1978 our GE 550 controls ran on punched tape and only had memory to store tool offsets. We had to write programs by hand with endless hours spent on trigonometry. I had all the G code memorized. We then had to type it on a flexowriter that would produce the punched tape. Got so good that I could read the code on the punched tape.

We eventually got more modern over the years I found my knowledge of G code allowed me to produce the simpler programs by just looking at the print and typing in the program at the control. Even feed and speeds where entered without having to make any calculations. I used Mastercam but many of the programs I found it faster to enter the program manually.

I consider myself fortunate to have been around when CNC or NC as it was known then, was in its infancy. It gave me an intimate knowledge of the technology.

Yeah, probably went to far Jid2, originally I was just curious if your fixture had a adjustment for leveling the top of the slide and it sounds like its machined so the top is level when you slide it onto the fixture and there is no indicating in to do.

Has anyone had any experience with a syil x2 machine. There is one for sale here in Washington computer and all for 3000 but guy said he will take 2500.is it worth the money? Been seeing a 50/50 split on good and bad reviews.thought I'd ask you guys

Edited by nick romero

I'm running the LMS version of that mill and it has been very good to me and getting better with the recent upgrades.

You could build one for a few dollars more. 3k or so gets you a new machine and a deeper understanding of the mill.

O.G., you have roughly 3k in the whole cnc setup including mill?

So all the new stuff is up and running. Got the motion controller and Mach3 configured. I also go the wireless Mach3 pendant and that is pretty neat!

I also just traded for a custom V-Twin Pro Street motorcycle and will not be making chips this weekend but will be crusing this new toy all around east Mesa!

:goof:

hawg.jpg

Edited by StraightUp_OG

So all the new stuff is up and running. Got the motion controller and Mach3 configured. I also go the wireless Mach3 pendant and that is pretty neat!

I also just traded for a custom V-Twin Pro Street motorcycle and will not be making chips this weekend but will be crusing this new toy all around east Mesa!

:goof:

hawg.jpg

I may or may not be sending a copy of that picture as a BOLO to my brother in law on the job in Mesa. What's it worth to ya? :D