Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would try starting out with 2000rpm, 6ipm feed, taking fairly light cuts and adjust from there. From the pic in the add I think you will have the best luck with the smaller dia. cutter. Looks more ridged than the 2 larger cutters with the smaller dia. shank (in proportion to the cutting dia.)...

Jared and OG - Thanks so much for posting the videos. You guys should start a kickstarter campaign to make a series of gunsmithing videos geared towards CNC minmills. Or at least post an amazon wish list or paypal address for donations. I've learned a ton from this thread and I don't even own a mill. I'd gladly kick in some cash to keep this thread going.

I would run around 2000 - 2400 RPM for the middle one, faster for the small one and slower for the largest one. Try something, evaluate, adjust, try again.

Thanks ToolGuy!!!!!!!!!!! Have to take very lite cuts with this but better than the 90degree chamber end mill so far. I think 3000 is best for the 1/4" one and feed slow around 8ipm

Edited by dskinsler83

I tried that and it didn't work like i planned it to lol. there has to be a better way...Also is the G0759 worth the money? I am really wanting to upgrade but want it to be the last buy? I don't have a ton of money (don't even have the money for the G0759 right now) but I want a touch more travel but the RPMs listed are less than what I have with my Harbor Freight right now with its belt drive conversion.

I tried that and it didn't work like i planned it to lol. there has to be a better way...Also is the G0759 worth the money? I am really wanting to upgrade but want it to be the last buy? I don't have a ton of money (don't even have the money for the G0759 right now) but I want a touch more travel but the RPMs listed are less than what I have with my Harbor Freight right now with its belt drive conversion.

Getting more RPM out of a g0759/0704/bf20 is kind of a pita. There's a few options. You should change out the spindle bearings for all of them. The stock bearings are tapered rollers and probably wouldn't hang with 4000 plus rpm. So you gotta start with some angular contact bearings and some shims to get lower bearing in the right place in the housing. The upper one has an adjustment nut to set the preload.

Still interested?

You can replace the gears in the head to change the ratio and get some more speed, but it's still a gear train and a little noisy.

This gets you 4700rpm he says, I haven't tried it http://g0704.com/Projects.html

You can make a belt a drive conversion, or buy one.

I found this online but haven't seen any reports of it on any forums. Makes me a little suspect but I really have no idea. http://www.benchtopprecision.com/bf20_belt_drive_kit.html

Making one is the other option. Make brackets for the motor, buy the pulleys and belts, keep the quill or not?, kind of a pita there too. Hoss at g0704.com sells belt drive plans, You can buy just those plans or they come with his cnc conversion plans.I own his cnc plans and the belt drive part is pretty basic. But he has done all the research for you, part numbers and all. If you spend enough time on CNCzone.com or some of the other forums there's plenty of info to figure it out I think.

The cnc plans are definitley worth it though if you'd ever go that route.

I've done the bearing swap in the spindle on mine, wasn't that bad. Had to make spanner wrenches for the retaining nuts. I'll send a picture of the wrenches to anyone that's interested. Mine were VERY basic. Planning on doing a belt drive conversion sometime in 2015.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of getting one these.

Jared and OG - Thanks so much for posting the videos. You guys should start a kickstarter campaign to make a series of gunsmithing videos geared towards CNC minmills. Or at least post an amazon wish list or paypal address for donations. I've learned a ton from this thread and I don't even own a mill. I'd gladly kick in some cash to keep this thread going.

Thanks man! It really is fun and I intend to continue participating in this thread. It has grown so much and I too, have learned a ton of fantastic stuff.

Jared is really taking it to the next level and his contributions to the thread as well as the sport from an equipment perspective is MASSIVE and he is sure to create a few more game changers before he is done. I am just gathering the parts for my next open build and his comp is going on it!

I am also looking forward to PeterSteele's ar lower outcome and his contribution to the thread. I am close to attempting another lower once I figure out F360 so his process and tool choices will be of great interest.

@Kevin - Good info!

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Sherline has their rotary tables on sale this month, 20% off!!!

https://www.sherlinedirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=16&CFID=56057212&CFTOKEN=17317346

They have a pretty good reputation for quality, and the size seems right for a hobby mill. Many years ago I had one of their little lathes. The quality was exceptional. I ordered this one:

https://www.sherlinedirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=127&CFID=56057212&CFTOKEN=17317346

I had always planned on a 4th axis so I already had the driver and a Nema 23 motor ready to go, they were pretty inexpensive to add in during the build. Here's a 3 part series on cool 4th stuff:

Just found out fusion 360 has a 1 year free subscription for hobbyists and startups! http://fusion360.autodesk.com/resources/akn/view/NINVFUS/ENU/?guid=GUID-D1193A1F-FBC3-4CEE-8957-B3CA15B1649B click the installation and subscription information link.

Download the trial and then follow the above directions.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Just really starting to get the interface. I have been slammed at work the last few weeks and have not had much time but I can tell it will do all I could want and more. I hope to make some chips with some output it this weekend.

Edited by StraightUp_OG