Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

Been playing with Fusion360, so far much more efficient than MeshCam. Like a few hours more efficient lol.

Still figuring it out but it looks great for CAM. Haven't looked at the CAD side of it at all.

Just a note it DOES NOT like .stl files, at least not from my cad. Switched to .igs and everything worked great. Got me a little worried there for a minute.

ETA it doesn't do a 4th axis though. And I just got one so still happy I've got MeshCAM.

Fusion 360 does 3+2, as was noted elsewhere. If you want true 4 or 5 axis machining, you need to look at Inventor HSM Pro (~10k), or Solidworks + HSM Pro (~10k + Solidworks license).

Okay, now let's talk file formats.

Fusion 360 - and Solidworks, Inventor, most engineering software - works with solid models. They have mass, volume, etc. They are defined by mathematical equations - a shape and an extrusion vector, for instance. This means that a rounded object is truly round, in a mathematically perfect sense, and it's very easy to calculate.

STL files are more like the sort of thing created by 3D animation software. They are made up of individual polygons, each made up by connecting a set of points. This means that a rounded object is only round from a distance, and the more you zoom in, the less round it is. If you create an STL file with lots of details, there will be lots and lots and lots of individual polygons. A solid modeling software package will HATE this.

Solid modeling software likes solid models - they are watertight, so to speak, and it's easy to regenerate them just by changing the math used to create them. An STL, being comprised of individual polygons - which, by the way, also have to worry about which direction they're facing - is very rarely going to be watertight. Most STL files are only solid from the front, and are open on the back. These are generally more art related. Even if an STL file is actually watertight, if the normal vector for even one face is missing or incorrect, then -boom- no longer watertight. STL is just a flat-out pain in the ass, and I would seriously like to see the person responsible for STL covered in honey and buried in an anthill.

If you want the best results working with F360 or any other solid modeling program, stick with either native file formats or neutral things. F360 really likes Inventor files, and does quite well with STP / IGS, and I think it can do okay with x_t as well as a few other formats. (Incidentally, IGS is probably a good one to stay away from - STP is more modern and still currently being developed for. IGS was more or less abandoned almost 20 years ago, if I remember correctly.)

Good info thanks!

So I've got a couple options for STP files. STEP AP 203 and STEP AP 214, one better than the other?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I answered my own question, sounds like 214 covers it all?

Re: what is the use of step AP203 and AP214?
46.png?a=19901L1.png
Pavan Veera Nov 17, 2012 1:47 AM (in response to Mamatha Dasari)

AP203 defines the geometry, topology, and configuration management data of solid models for mechanical parts and assemblies. This file type does not manage Colors and Layers.

AP214 has everything a AP203 file includes, but adds colors, layers, geometric dimensioning and tolerance, and design intent. AP214 is considered an extension of AP203.

This explains why, when I import a stl file into my slicer program, it almost always says the model had to be repaired.

Now that you've got Inventor up and running, you'll want to look into Mesh Enabler, if you really absolutely must play with STL's. I guarantee you'll absolutely hate it, though ...

It's normally for subscribers only, but there's a thing on the Inventor part of the Autodesk forum where you can request it, since you've got a student license. The guy will give you a license for it.

46.png?a=19901L1.png

AP203 defines the geometry, topology, and configuration management data of solid models for mechanical parts and assemblies. This file type does not manage Colors and Layers.

AP214 has everything a AP203 file includes, but adds colors, layers, geometric dimensioning and tolerance, and design intent. AP214 is considered an extension of AP203.

Good info - I never actually knew the difference between 203 and 214. I just use whatever is the default when I export stuff from Inventor, TBPFH.

The new computer and stuff got here and it looks like Mach3 can't see the parallel port in Windows 8.1 so I need a motion controller. I ordered the UC100 and it seems there are other benefits http://cncdrive.com/MC/UC100%20datasheet/UC100%20users%20guide.pdf

Either way I needed the new computer and fingers crossed this will do the trick.

I have upgraded almost everything but the mill, controller and steppers next stop will just have to be a Tormach. Now, to start begging the wife...

Nice! Hope it solves the issues, by that I mean I hope you get a Tormach :devil:

This explains why, when I import a stl file into my slicer program, it almost always says the model had to be repaired.

Now that you've got Inventor up and running, you'll want to look into Mesh Enabler, if you really absolutely must play with STL's. I guarantee you'll absolutely hate it, though ...

It's normally for subscribers only, but there's a thing on the Inventor part of the Autodesk forum where you can request it, since you've got a student license. The guy will give you a license for it.

46.png?a=19901L1.png

Good info - I never actually knew the difference between 203 and 214. I just use whatever is the default when I export stuff from Inventor, TBPFH.

203 is the default for my cad, maybe there's a reason for that lol. No reason to play with stl's. The other cam I have that was all it would import, that and dxf. So one more pro for 360 if it uses a better model.

So this was what I got up to on saturday

Tested some patterns for the top of a friends 1911. the top one turned out the best, the other two had to much grip

10801653_865357976848057_70274712080111810952865_865358006848054_238553089811946

And cut a guys slide for his k22, the first gen models slide is to heavy to work with anything that isnt minimags and he wanted to use cheaper ammo so we cut away some weight

10931321_865358036848051_33912542737251110356414_865358053514716_518192342234954

yep, I wanted them a bit closer together than your pattern, so the trick was getting the right ratio to look cool but not be grippy. The tiny pattern was super grippy, would make a good substitute for serrations or something.

that pattern looks pretty awesome on a stainless slide though

Edited by amish_rabbi

jid2, When you mount the slide into the fixture how do you level the top ? Does the mount for the slide have adjustments up and down for this ? Or did you machine the rail slots on the typical angle to account for the slides taper?

Taking this into account when working on the sides of the slide at 90 and 270 degrees with this setup and lets say your milling panels or cuts that do not pass all the way through the slide your cuts will be tapered or not straight front to back at the bottom of the slide, usually your 0 or straight line would be the bottom of the slide. I suppose you could draw all the feature's in CAD/CAM with this angle built in and be within .004 or some from one gun to the next...but ?

Like I said, I was thinking of making a fixture but keep thinking about this road block.

RedStag:

While I appreciate your participation in this thread, I would like to be clear that I started this thread as a way for the novice or beginner to learn. So when someone asks questions we strive to provide an answer rather than a "You won't understand" type comment.

It would be appreciated if you would do your best to elaborate for the laymen.

Thanks.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

We have a sharp group going here. They DO understand if you tell them. Machining is not intuitive. However most things in the shop are fairly easy concepts and easy to understand once someone shows you or tells you. We have several new guys who are doing just fine.

However most things in the shop are fairly easy concepts and easy to understand once someone shows you or tells you.

So true! No one comes out of the womb with any knowledge. We all learned everything we know from someone.

Cheers to people willing to share!

Understood, and sorry about sounding crass dsk. If you measure a 1911 slide it is tapered from back to the front from the bottom of slide to the top, so when you indicate the top level the bottom of the slide is no longer level. I was asking when using the setup that was posted using a rotary axis with a tombstone type fixture if there was a adjustment built in to it for adjusting the slide level. And when you rotate the A axis 90 degrees to machine the sides of the slide the bottom of the slide will no longer be parallel to the X axis.

Straight up, sorry. I often have friends over and show them how to use indicators and how to machine and tram there machines in and I am actually all about helping too.