Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Far from genius my man, I re-read that post I hope it did not come off snarky. I have been eyeing the smoker for a while. A buddy mine suggested I build my own oven and there are some "how to's" on youtube but I still think the smoker might be the way to go. Might even be able to do short rifle barrels.

@ Donny - Never thought about tipping on its long side!

so, spurred on by this thread and the recent end of shooting season freeing up my weekends, I finished the setup and cut the first thing on my cnc machine. I did it all with hand written g code, no manual jogging.

10351165_797100510340471_897089508108294

I'm quite happy :) managed not to break anything as well so that is a plus. Next I need to get comfortable running the code that I generate with CAM

I have the large Oster that can cook a pizza that Walmart sells. I use it for coating bullets. I am very happy with it. I usually throw a couple folgers coffee cans of bullets in it at a time. It warms up fast and has a precise temp control.

Make sure it has digital controls. My first just had a dial, it could be off 40 degrees. It accounted for at least 1 egg shaped batch of bullets! The digital are spot on according to my non-contact thermometer .

Edited by bmiller

Glocks-Straight Up and myself have thrown around that idea. Look back a couple pages and you will see the set up OG came up with and I went with a angle vise. The yavapi jig is supposed to be the way to go for 1911 slides and we tossed around the idea of making one of those for Glocks. Still would be nice to have one for other things on GLOCK slides

Forgive my ignorance, has anyone tried milling a tac rail into a STI long wide frame? No CNC experience here, just very interested.

You mean CNC or manual? Either way, it should be pretty simple once you have the dimensions. Someone posted one recently that was done by Lone Star Innovations.

Great Thread!

I have wanted to do this for some time and my wife hates you all for inspiring me to get off my duff. I have almost finished my Cerakote booth and have installed an oven in the garage. The mill idea is burning a hole in my empty pocket.

I have been reading this forum and surfing for what is out there mill wise and based on that research I have found that a Grizzly G704 is $1200 the conversion is 3600 + 4800. The G0619 $1850 conversion 6200 = 8050. Tormach 7700 $6850 kit is $16K.

I have realized over the years I need to use the tractor theory - find the size you need and buy the next larger tractor.

Then apply the stump grinder theory - any size stump grinder will finish the job, it just depends on how long you want to be there.

My questions are:

Do you get what you pay for?

Are larger machines just faster?

I am trying keep this purchase reasonable. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Gunnar

I would tell anyone who wants to do this to get on the Home Shop Machinist forum and ask the same questions.We have some really smart guys on Enos and there are more on the other forum. We are talking about finding all your options so you can make an informed decision. Do your homework before spending any money. Remember every answer you get is one personal opinion. You need to read them all, then sort through and find what fits your individual situation.

For my part, I say your tractor and stump grinder theories are spot on. You usually end up wishing for a bigger machine than you have.

I have found for general home shop use, I would want a mill with a minimum of 18" of X travel and 9" of Y travel and the most Z axis possible. For a lathe, I wouldn't go less than 12 X 36.

Do you get what you pay for? I have a friend that has a Tormach 1100. I think you get what you pay for from them because the mill works well, is easy to use and has great customer support. But not everyone can afford that. I don't have firsthand experience with any of the other Hobby type options.

Are larger machines faster? A bigger mill can often make better time because of being able to take heavier cuts, but it partly depends on the parts being cut and the capabilities of the smaller machine. A small machine can be fast too, given the right conditions. Also, a larger machine can have multiple setups at the same time, just due to the larger table real estate.