Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They got a 3D printer at work. Gave it a test run to see how the side panel cuts would feel. Felt pretty good even though it is scaled down a bit due to limitations with the printer. I spent all last weekend milling;) Flat topped the slide and cut the slot. Then cut the front sight and the Bomar rear sight. Had a booboo when a wire got loose on the z-axis motor controller. When that happened, up was down and down was down. That put a little nick in the slide before I could get her stopped. Cutting the Bomar was a bit of a pain. I got through it, but when tapping the elevation hole the tap broke. So, got the broken bit out and will now have to get one of my buds to fill it with weld so I can make another attempt. It's just metal, but I'm still loving it. Since I don't have a happy path on CAM software, I did all of my cuts so far using the wizards built-in to Mach 3 or just went manual with the Xbox 360 controller. The wizards are pretty neat though and I can probably use them for all of my slide cuts if need be. But, I want to do the panel cuts with a CAM built g-code as I have other plans for fancier cuts later...

post-18006-0-88034700-1411516857_thumb.j

post-18006-0-53101500-1411517334_thumb.j

Well I've been at work too long clearly, first thing I thought was "hmmm, that cab guard on the truck looks like one of ours". that is a good size machine you got!

its back a couple pages, but why is no one using a carbide chamfer cutter to do the tri-topping? if you already level it up to flat top it then it seems like you just need a tool change and can run it down the side (not a machinist, so im probably missing the obvious reason)