Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone ever buy a complete slide assembly direct from S&W

sasquatch981

When I called S&W they said that they do not sell "Complete" 40 Pro Slide Assemblies. You could order the stripped slide then all of the supporting parts separately though (Barrel, sights, extractor, striker, recoil spring, etc). For whatever reason you could order the 4inch slide assemblies complete. Maybe the production volume isn't big enough to justify stocking complete .40 Pro slide assemblies?

As a point of interest can you instale the 40 pro slide on at 40 full size frame just thinking

Yes. You need a 5 inch barrel and a front sight that is .020 taller than your full size. Other than those two things you can move all of your existing full size slide parts over to the pro slide.

• 2 weeks later...

I have pictures on my home computer, I think either the CNC machine has a dull cutter or the finish is too thick. Something is off by a hair somewhere and I don't have the tools to figure it out. Basically, the barrels don't fit. I'm going to take a video tonight, since I sent in a write up with the pictures detailing the issue and 3 weeks later I still got two more paper weights returned...

Are you using factory or aftermarket barrels? The two main places for fit issues would be the barrel hood width/length and the front/top of the ejection port. If they are a little too tight to fit correctly, it may not be a bad thing. If you're willing to work on them, you can have more of a 'gunsmith fit' barrel/slide versus a drop-in that's a hair on the loose side.

So, I don't really have a way of measuring it, It looks like maybe the finish they put on could be too thick or they've changed something to improve lockup. I doubt they changed it though, since the 3 stripped slides in the video all came in the same box on the same order and the way the barrels insert into the slide are vastly different. Since I've figured out how to get the barrels in, I'm going to build up one of the slides this week since that will be the only way to really find out if other parts are out of spec like the striker channel and the groove that resets the trigger. Then go put 200 rounds through it, scrub it down and do 100 straight function test. (the first 200 jam a lot between new parts with burs and the apex extractor and heavier springs breaking in.)

Here's the vid I took, I stutter like a special child when I try to narrate, so I just put in note bubbles. Also, this was one handed trying to hold my iphone, so SHAKY CAM!

Called and talked to smith and wesson yesterday, they said 6 to 8 month wait for a slide at this time. They also said that their could be some fitting problems if I wanted to install a 5 in. slide on my full size and it might be cheaper to buy another gun

Called and talked to smith and wesson yesterday, they said 6 to 8 month wait for a slide at this time. They also said that their could be some fitting problems if I wanted to install a 5 in. slide on my full size and it might be cheaper to buy another gun

That stinks, they had a bunch in stock last month when I called. Aside from that barrel thing I posted about, everything else is going together pretty smoothly. I'm waiting on a front sight and extractor pin before I take it out to test fire. The guy at S&W doesn't know what he's talking about as far as fitment and price. If you already have a receiver (they're all the same, the slide is 140, stock sights are cheap, maybe 60, and a striker, and small slide parts. Looking at $300.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...