Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Businesses that use customer service as a point of sale

TNK

Examples include:

Your credit card company: You call to ask a question about your account, and you get a sales pitch for "credit insurance" or some other money and time waster.

Barnes & Noble: Every time I buy a book or DVD, please stop asking me to join your stupid members' club.

Claim Jumper Restaurant: Instead of providing table service, the server is pre-occupied with selling me yet another members' club deal that gets me "discounts" at Landry's Restaurants. I don't think so.

REI: This company has been doing it for decades. I have a membership from 1984 (purchased before I was hip to this nonsense). REI sells itself as some type of special co-oop that puts its "members" first. Give me a break. REI is merely another big box retailer with the usual ugliness big box retailers exhibit.

The cable company: Call to ask about a service outage and you get a pitch to upgrade your channel package. Because the significant other makes this call, and she is an easy touch, we now have every channel on the planet, and sometimes there is still nothing to watch.

And so it goes.

Is this like what Kmart does at the checkout? After begging you to add your email address to your "rewards" card and then giving you a double handful of receipt, coupons, and special offers that the register spews out.

Examples include:

The cable company: Call to ask about a service outage and you get a pitch to upgrade your channel package. Because the significant other makes this call, and she is an easy touch, we now have every channel on the planet, and sometimes there is still nothing to watch.

And so it goes.

:roflol:

Lowes now asks for your phone number at checkout. Why do they need my phone number? Radio Shack has been doing that for years, but Lowes just started.

I usually just make up the number. Take my number and change a few digits up or down one. I think I'm going to have to start memorizing this number for future use....202-456-1414.

Its the White House Switchboard.

And stores like Best Buy wonder why everyone buys from Amazon.

PS - At the register it's probably better to give them the phone number of the company's switchboard or "C" level execs.

Best Buy = Amazon showroom.

I tell them "911". Isn't that everybody's ultimate phone number?

Academy Sports always asks for my Zip code at the register, so I always give them my old Zip from when I lived in NY, 10994. If they ever do market research with that data it would be great to see them sitting around scratching their heads when they realize they have steady sales from a customer that lives 500 miles away....or so they will think.

When retailers ask for my personal information during checkout I simply say "No Thanks". If they push the subject I turn it around on them and ask for their personal information so I can call, mail and e-mail them a bunch of worthless crap. That usually resolves the situation of me not providing my personal information when they get really pushy about it.