Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge 45 ammo length question

hermans

Any STI Edge 45 shooters/reloaders out there......please I need some advice.

I want to purchase a STI Edge in 45ACP, but I read some conflicting posts regarding the COAL for the reloads to make the pistol feed reliably.

What is the typical length of the reloaded ammo for this pistol. I do load my rounds to 1.250 in both my Para P14 and Colt Gov MK IV series 70, and they work perfectly. I use a clone of the classic H&G #68 200gr SWC, as well as a classic 230gr RN lead bullet. In the Para though the 200gr SWC needs to be a little shorter to make them go into the mags properly.

Any advice would be greatly appretiated.

Herman from sunny South Africa :blush:

Thanks Steve, I do know about that trick, but my concern here with the Edge is that once I have done as you have explained with the barrel, would the rounds then not be too long for the mags?

Also atbrr, do you actually shoot rounds with an CAOL of 1.250 in your Edge? What type of shape of bullets do you use?

I discovered the ammo I loaded for my single stacks did not work in my .45 ACP Eage when I first got it. It comes down to the mags being shorter, front to back, than the SS mags and I could only get in 7 rounds before they jammed. I just started loading all my .45 ACP ammo meant for autos to 1.250" and solved all my issues.

Neal in AZ

Thanks Neal, that is exactly what I wanted to hear that you actually

I discovered the ammo I loaded for my single stacks did not work in my .45 ACP Eage when I first got it. It comes down to the mags being shorter, front to back, than the SS mags and I could only get in 7 rounds before they jammed. I just started loading all my .45 ACP ammo meant for autos to 1.250" and solved all my issues.

Neal in AZ

Neal in AZ

Thanks Neal, that is exactly what I wanted to hear that you actually do shoot 1.250 ammo in your Edge....I think now I can order my Edge!

Herman, yes 1.250" has become my standard and I shoot it regularly in my STI Eagle. The difference is really not drastic and the 1.250" ammo runs in all my other single stacks, revolvers and my grease gun mag AR 15 in .45 ACP.

Neal in AZ

Caveat, my "STI" is an assembled gun, not an all-STI product.

One of my STI magazines will not accept 1.25" .45 ACP.

Two others accept but are not reliable with that OAL.

(The other four are fine at 1.25", which is apparently why there is a cottage industry "tuning" these things.)

All but the short one are spotty with SWC, so I am loading roundnose at 1.24" for trouble free shooting.

Thanks for the info Jim and Neal...I have ordered my Edge today, and the dealer said I might have to wait until the end of the year!

How the heck am I gonna manage waiting that long!

Loading my ammo to OAL of 1.240 down from 1.250 is still acceptable to me, but if they become much shorter they would just look not funny, if you know what I am saying.

Jim, do you actually shoot 200gr SWC reliably in your Edge? That is the one bullet I could never get to run reliable in my Para P14, no matter to what OAL I loaded it, it always gave one FTE jam in about 300 rounds

Caveat, my "STI" is an assembled gun, not an all-STI product.

One of my STI magazines will not accept 1.25" .45 ACP.

Two others accept but are not reliable with that OAL.

(The other four are fine at 1.25", which is apparently why there is a cottage industry "tuning" these things.)

All but the short one are spotty with SWC, so I am loading roundnose at 1.24" for trouble free shooting.

I have also found that all STI/SVI mags aren't exactly the same internal size, at an indoor, IDPA classifier, where I tried to use new factory ammo, so I would have more once-fired brass, and had a couple of mags that made the gun jam, due to the nose of the bullet "scrubbing" in the front of the magazine. :angry2:

I now load a little shorter, and end of problem. :cheers:

Edited by RH45

Has anyone ran into certain 230 grn bullet profiles that when loaded to 1.265 there is nothing to crimp to ?

Yup

Just set your overall length to what you need, and only put enough crimp on to remove the "bell". If your brass is not all the exact same length, set up your crimp die with the shortest piece of brass. That way, the "bell" will be straightened on the shortest ones, and you will have a slight crimp on the longer ones.

On .45 ACP, the crimp does nothing. Your bullet tension comes from a properly resized case. I've run in to some brass that was so thin, after resizing, the bullets would fall in to the case. Mostly OLD, R-P headstamps.