Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

whoops!

driver8M3

i've always heard it would eventually happen...

doing a walk through, practicing opening a door, and decided to practicing drawing my gun too! i think about half-way between holster and sight picture i realized i was in trouble. :o

d'ohhhhhhhhhh

Used to be you could do the walk through with a mag in your hand, which would have helped to prevent your oops. Can't do that with the new rule book, but even having you hand in a fist and up in front of you (as you would have it with the gun in hand) helps me to visualize.

Used to be you could do the walk through with a mag in your hand, which would have helped to prevent your oops. Can't do that with the new rule book, but even having you hand in a fist and up in front of you (as you would have it with the gun in hand) helps me to visualize.

You're not allowed to do a walk-through with a mag anymore??? Heck, I didn't know that. What's the reasoning behind that one?

It's an IPSC rule...somewhere inside, says something about nothing in the hands. :D

Whoa! I've done that a couple of times in recent matches, especially on strong to weakhand transfer stages. Good thing I wasn't cited(the R.O. was probably not paying attention to the conga line). Thanks for the heads up :)

I risked a spanking from Uncle Darth for not citing the rule no. Hope this is the correct one:

Rule 8.7.4

Competitors are prohibited from using any sighting aid (e.g. the whole or part of an imitation or replica firearm, any part of any real firearm including any accessories thereof, etc.) except for their own hands, while conducting their inspection ("walkthrough") of a course of fire. Violations will incurr one penalty per occurence (also see Rule 10.5.1).

I'll risk the spanking as well, but from what I heard, this was implemented to stop some guys using replicas that look like the real thing - could scare the hell out of some people - and to keep it simple (what is and what is not allowed) nothing in your hands is the result.

Hi guys,

The rule was toughened because we were starting to see an increasing amount of unacceptable practices, with some people going as far as using incredibly realistic "air soft" guns, or magazines with real slides (with scopes attached) welded on top etc. I saw one guy remove his slide in the safety area and then wander about with the bottom end in his hands during a walkthrough, and he claimed that since the thing in his hand was not a "whole" gun, he couldn't be DQd.

As you can imagine, once word started to spread about these devices and practices, the problem would become endemic, so we decided to put a lid on it before things really started getting out of hand.

remember guys this new rule goes into effect with the new rulebook so just nicely explain this to someone if they do it before it goes into effect here in the states as we have not got our books yet and USPSA has not told us they are in effect.

SAM KEEN / HOPALONG

So the way I understand this rule is, nothing in your hands at all?? Not even a piece of wood, cigar, lighter or sunglasses??

Nothing. Nada. Zip. The actual rule reads:

8.7.4 Competitors are prohibited from using any sighting aid (e.g. the whole or part of an imitation or replica firearm, any part of a real firearm including any accessories thereof etc.), except for their own hands, while conducting their inspection ("walkthrough") of a course of fire. Violations will incur one procedural penalty per occurrence (also see Rule 10.5.1).

Reasons given in my earlier post.

Violations will incur one procedural penalty per occurrence

Help define occurrence - does it mean to take a sight picture per target (10 targets/10 individual site pictures = 10 procedurals) or the entire stage (1 stage/1sight picture = 1 procedural)?

And then...get ready for the doah's!

Help define occurrence - does it mean to take a sight picture per target (10 targets/10 individual site pictures = 10 procedurals) or the entire stage (1 stage/1sight picture = 1 procedural)?

It's door number 2. The expression "per occurrence" is this instance is applied on a "per stage" or "per walkthrough" basis.

Dang.. I guess my little pseudo hoser-cam walkthroughs of the stage with my video camera in hand won't be allowed anymore. That will make DVD spectators sad.

Shred,

either do it after the squad has shot the stage, or get the RO to agree that the camera isn't a sighting aid....

Dang.. I guess my little pseudo hoser-cam walkthroughs of the stage with my video camera in hand won't be allowed anymore.  That will make DVD spectators sad.

Shred,

either do it after the squad has shot the stage, or get the RO to agree that the camera isn't a sighting aid....

Then I'd have to edit and move clips around.. it's so much easier when it's up front of the videos.. <whine mode off> Is there even an exemption for shooters that have already shot or won't shoot the stage? I don't remember one.

Is there even an exemption for shooters that have already shot or won't shoot the stage? I don't remember one.

Shred,

if a shooter has already shot the stage, or he's not a shooter, so he won't shoot the stage (at all, this doesn't apply to if he's going to shoot the stage next day), he's not doing a walkthrough, thus relevant rule doesn't apply. ;)