Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 1911's ?

usmc1974

The frame on the Spartan is cast and the Trojan is a forged frame (I think).

The Spartan has a parkerized finish and the Trojan is blued.

Nup, Trojan's frame is cast as well. You have to spend $300 more to get into STI forged frames territory (Lawman)

Nup, Trojan's frame is cast as well. You have to spend $300 more to get into STI forged frames territory (Lawman)

So all sti pistols are not created equal?

Edited by usmc1974

If you can afford it, the Trojan will be an overall better gun, but the Spartan is the best 1911 for the price, and I would argue, even better than 1911's that are $200-300 more.

Not all STI's are created the same, or use the same parts, but all of them are fantastic quality with the best customer service in the industry. They are also one of the only companies that actively support competitive shooting (excluding sponsorship).

So all sti pistols are not created equal?

To me the Trojan and the Spartan were way too similar for the price difference. The front strap on the Trojan is stippled, which is nice, and there may be a slight difference in internals, and I didn't know about the barrel difference. Kinda shocked me to see a plastic MSH on the Trojan.

I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a forged frame gun considering the number of rounds mine will see. That's why I looked at a Sentry (basically a forged, checkered Trojan with a steel MSH and magwell) and bought the Lawman (also hate bomars, and liked the slide markings much better).

My opinion on the true differences? The slide to frame and barrel/bushing fit of the made in TX guns I've handled are far superior to the Spartans. I still believe the Spartan is the best bang for the buck in the SS .45 for competition arena.

If you are looking to spend more, look for a fully forged, all steel gun. STI Lawman, Sentry, DW Valor, or step it up into the Baer or even Wilson range. Baer only if you can afford the time and money required to break the things in. Forget free weights, just rack a Baer slide 100 times a day and you will have Chuck Norris arms.

Edited by matgyver

• 2 weeks later...

Made in USA is what tipped the scales to the Trojan for me. I have tried both but ultimately bought the Trojan in 9mm. It has become my hands down favorite pistol, especially for IDPA.

• 2 weeks later...

like many have stated, the spartan has a non ramped barrel, and is assembled out of the us. has a bare front strap, but is an all around decent base 1911 for the money.....the trojan is a lot nicer of a gun if you can swing the price....has ramped barrel, checkering, all around better fit.....you wont be sorry with either.....