Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spring weight for G34?

midvalleyshooter

I use the ismi 13lb spring in my G34. Flexmoney is correct, do not order the 13lb ismi springs from brownells, they are a bad batch and brownells isnt telling anyone about it. The 15lb springs they are selling are fine though. Ive never had good luck with anything lighter than 13lb or cutting coils off of the springs, just make sure the slide will fully return to battery while cycling. Another thing to look for is that while squeezing the trigger, the slide does not move back out of battery.

ill second the stock spring...i have fiddled with spring weights, practice pays off alot more than a spring swap. my 34 with stock spring runs fine all the way down to 125 pf loads...so in a 9mm i dont see a need for lighter springs. IMO

Thanks to all,

I will blow the dust off of the 1050 this weekend and load some poofy 147's. I will try out the G34 next weekend after I pick it up from my FFL. If it runs I will wait on the springs if not I will get the 13 lb ISMI, and clip coils if needed.

I have found sometimes stock springs are best. In the Ruger single actions taking 5 coils off of the stock hammer spring gives you a lighter cocking action but you still get solid ignition. This bit of info came from the SASS forum by way of a Ruger employee who ran the tests. This is an example of the value of forums and the folks that post here. thanks again folks.

By the way I bought this G34 used from Millard of sportshooter.com fame. He's a stand up guy to deal with.

Keith

Why do you say the springs are defective at Brownells? I have been dealing with them for 30 years and find them to be the most honest and shooter friendly company I have ever dealt with.

I have several 13# springs that I have bought from Brownells recently. Not a problem with any of them.

What exactly is the problem with the springs from Brownell? Are they too light, too heavy, what are the symptems of a so called bad spring?

The spring OD's are several thousandths oversize which causes them to bind inside the spring tunnel and you do not get full slide travel because of the binding. I have 2 of these springs myself from brownells. I called Marc at ismi with my problem and he sent me some replacements and told me all about the deal with the springs....Actually the problem arose from glock changing the inside diameter of the spring tunnel on there pistols. So it's really not an ismi problem, it's just that brownells has a run of springs that dont work with the changes glock has made to there pistols. The springs from brownells should work fine on the older glocks, though I am not sure when glock made the dimensional changes and Marc didnt actually know either. If you have a spring problem call Marc, he is a super nice guy and great to talk to, I am sure he could answer any spring questions you might have.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using a cut down 13# ISMI purchased beginning of this year from Marc. I had to trim 6 coils to get full slide travel. This bothered me so I installed a shock buff for a little protection of the frame. If it works in a 1911 and we pretty much all use them in 1911's I figured it should work in my Glock.

Since I never clean my Glock and then switched guns after the Ohio IDPA match, I only recently got around to taking the Glock apart for cleaning. Both sides of the shock buff were "cut" off, from frame slide contact. The buff endured at most 15 IDPA matches, and I never have time to practice, so it was probably a max of 1500 rounds. Previously, I've run shock buffs with stock Glock springs and the buffs have never shown the least bit of wear.

Just an FYI for all the light spring shooters.

Not that I'm not going to switch back to shooting the stock spring, but I am definately going to keep a buff in any light spring glock.

Also, I don't shoot hot, snappy, loads. I'm using a 147 at about 900 fps (132-133 pf).

• 11 months later...

I ordered a 13# recoil spring from Brownells not realizing there was a problem.

The spring feels good with 115 gr/ 135 PF loads. However about one in fifty rounds the gun fails to go fully into battery, lacks about 1/4".

I see posts about chopping coils off of the 13# springs. Does this have something to do with fixing this particular problem?

By the way, the gun is a G34.

Thanks,

JS,

You are likely getting spring bind because the inside diameter of the spring is binding on the rod...or, the outside diameter is binding in the spring tunnel of the glock. I forget which. Regardless, cutting coils off the length won't change the diameter. The problem will still be there.

I'd get that spring/rod combo out of the gun before it jams (good malfunction) or it closes the slide just enought to allow the gun to fire out of battery (bad malfunction).

Call ISMI...they will work to get you squared away with the proper (not-from-Brownell's supply) spring.