Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ghost Holster Users

John Dunn

Do you guys leave it locked all the time and hit the lever on every draw, or do you unlock it for stand and deliver shoots? How about the turn and draw? A start that requires some running prior to the draw?

I'm having a hard time trusting the thing. I've already had one humiliating wedgie draw when I missed the lever.

I have a Safariland 012 gathering dust, found it to be somewhat uncomfortable to pick brass in, but I'm considering switching back just so I don't have to mess with the lever. I currently have two draws, on slightly slower that guarantees I'll hit the release, another hell bent for leather unlocked draw. Don't think two draws is the way to go as it increases the disaster factor.

Heck, I may go back to Kydex. I figure a race holster shaves at most 0.1-0.2 off the draw, and the few majors I have been to, there are darn few stand and deliver stages. Thanks for any advice.

do you unlock it for stand and deliver shoots?

Yes

How about the turn and draw?

Unlocked, but as I begin the turn the hand goes immediately to the gun to secure it. I draw after I have broken 180 on the non-DQ side.

A start that requires some running prior to the draw?

Locked and say a prayer that I unlock it before I draw.

Ditto short.

I have the old model, I don't know if it is different on the new one. But the lever on mine is right in my draw stroke. I still leave it unlocked if I'm just standing there but if there is any movement other than a simple turn, I lock it.

There is nothing wrong with kydex, but I think once you get more familiar with the ghost you'll like it better. That was the case with me.

I leave it unlocked unless I am going more than a couple of steps and cannot get my hand on the gun (holding a prop, etc.). Anytime I move I get my hand on the gun immediately, I don't necessarily draw, just get my hand on the gun. If I have to go more than a couple of steps then I lock it, but when I draw I take my time and make sure I activate the lever - remember you have a couple of steps to draw plenty of time to activate the lever. I don't ever try to do a really fast draw with it locked - should not need to. The great thing about the Ghost is that with it unlocked the ball detent still gives a pretty secure lock to the gun.

Used the old 1st gen Ghost (yep - the plastic one) and it was GREAT! Use the similar Limcat now (also great). Both unlock on the draw without any increase in draw time that I can detect. Only danger is missing the lever (the dreaded & embarrasing "Ghost wedgie"). Rule I follow is: standing or turning start: unlocked. If I have to take more than one step or stand up on the start, I start with it locked.

Just bought the new Ghost last month and it's very secure while unlocked. I almost don't see a need to lock it at all. I do keep it locked at all times until I step into the box. After LAMR, it stays unlocked all of the time. The new Ghost rocks!

Got my new ghost from Angus at the handgunner this year,Finally came out of the dark ages, The more I use it the better I like it. When you put the gun back into the holster make sure the ball snaps back. Dropped mine a couple of times already. Stand and shoot unlocked, IPSC movement, locked :D

Ivan SCS Vegas

What Bob said. A turning draw is no problem unlocked. That mailbox stage at the Nats last year I think I locked it. And the famous Area 1 light sabre where I couldn't get my hand on the gun. Anything that might provide a sudden acceleration and decelereration that would give it momentum.

Whenever I know it's locked, I unlock it subconciously on the draw. However, when I forget it's locked, mostly in practice, once between strings at a Nats, I get a wedgie.

So far, the only time I've locked the Ghost was on a stage involving a ramp, a handcart and a large drum before the draw. Kevin C proved to me that the unlocked position was a little too risky :P

Other than that, the normal unlocked retention has seemed enough for anything, even those stages involving movement.

Kevin

As SR and, ahem, KDJ said...

I have a funky trigger guard (squared Para) and only the new generation Ghost I have holds it securely, but I have, as Kevin reminds me ( :P ) dropped the gun more than once in walkthroughs and doing duties, mainly by brushing the gun in the unlocked holster. So I don't trust this gun to stay in unlocked during mvt., other than a turning draw.

Guest Larry Cazes

As others have already posted, using my LIMCAT....I unlock for any stationary draws and leave it locked for any real movement. On a turning draw, I also bring my hand onto the grip for extra support before staring the turn.

Have the new ghost and it very secure..with a longer open gun..in a kneeling position or long movement when my hand not on my gun..I might lock it..otherwise very secure..can't bump it out..

this last weekend at the mile hi..had a guy back into me as I was turning in a walkthrough..his gun came out and onto the ground..he was using a CR speed..

Ditto mcoliver ;)

The CR is still quite secure in the unlocked position. I've never felt the need to start locked, even when I have to run.

yup, especially with an arrendondo spud...unless someone or something gives your gun a nudge on the butt <_<