Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3nd Annual AR15.com Rockcastle Pro Am 3 Gun Championships

Chuck, back when I started there was no shooters booklet, there were no walk throughs, and there was no diagrams until the night before the match. They did however always say bring 250 of pistol, rifle, 25 slugs, and 75 buckshot. Funny thing is that what you brought and then shot the match. None of all of this internet angst.....and boy that was NICE.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chuck, back when I started there was no shooters booklet, there were no walk throughs, and there was no diagrams until the night before the match. They did however always say bring 250 of pistol, rifle, 25 slugs, and 75 buckshot. Funny thing is that what you brought and then shot the match. None of all of this internet angst.....and boy that was NICE.

That's because when you started the written word didn't exist.

Yeah, but we had charcoal drawings of animals!

Mr. Goldman, I have read lots of your posts on how to set up Benelli shotguns, what choke to run, what AR is the perfect set up and a myriad of other 3-gun related posts. From these posts I assumed that you were a seasoned 3- gunner. No one would ever know that this is your first match. If it is I will keep from twisting your tail, but you sure come across like someone who has done this a long time. How else would you know to do all the stuff you write about?

Yeah, but we had charcoal drawings of animals!

Mr. Goldman, I have read lots of your posts on how to set up Benelli shotguns, what choke to run, what AR is the perfect set up and a myriad of other 3-gun related posts. From these posts I assumed that you were a seasoned 3- gunner. No one would ever know that this is your first match. If it is I will keep from twisting your tail, but you sure come across like someone who has done this a long time. How else would you know to do all the stuff you write about?

Well, I can count the number of matches I have shot on both hands with fingers left over. In fact when I signed up for this match 5 months ago, I had yet to shoot a 3-gun match. Im not doing to bad, even winning a stage or two here and there. I still have much to learn and work on.

More often then not, the tips i share with others have been taught to me before I applied them. But some stuff is trial and error.

The gear I used when I started a few months ago has almost entirely been replaced/improved, from my shotgun and pistol to my home made shell caddies. I use what works and if it wont work, it doesnt stick around. Sure I cant "buy" wins but if you are hindered by your gear, you are not doing yourself any favors. Thats one of the first things I learned and it applies to technique too, which, like my gear, is constantly evaluated.

So, sorry if I came across like Ive written a book or have a dvd set or something, maybe one day Ill meet you in person and shoot one of your matches.

and If it makes you feel any better I did sign up on the AM side.

For those of you not as laid back as one of our favorite KY boys,.........get used to not knowing specifics to stages, more and more matches are doing things this way. As a MD, its a major pain in the butt to get stages out ahead of time for shooters, even rough drafts. I've done it before and had clubs/people that had the ability to practice specifics do it, and I feel it detracts from the "honesty and integrity" of the game. Practice what you feel you need to practice, I have no issues with answering questions in a broad matter, but I do not want people expecting an answer to specifically what to expect. This can lead to others pointing a finger at some saying "why did they know something that I didn't, thats not fair"

Anyone that has shot a match that RNT (Kurt and myself)has RM'd or MD'd knows that any shotgun targets will be calibrated with cyl. bore 1oz, 8's or 7.5's and thats what we will use during the match as well if any one wants a shotgun target calibrated, including plates. It will be done from the closest spot available to shoot the target, so you won't NEED HiVel 4's or 6's to knockover or activate any SG targets. As for rifle I said it earlier in the topic, we will not get stupid with distances but you will need to shoot your rifle from ODD or UNCOMFORTABLE positions, if you feel that means upside down or standing on one foot then by all means practice that. Target sizes will be 4moa or larger. Rifle targets will be calibrated with XM193 55gr fmj from a 20" barrel. On pistol, 50yds is as far as you should need to shoot any puny little pistol round, that we carry for matches, and the target will probably be a fullsize IPSC or 18x24 plate. pistol targets will be calibrated with 9mm.

Jadeslade if you really just want to shoot slugs, I'll let you use your SG for the precision part of any rifle stage, just let me know beforehand so I can watch!!look forward to seeing you Willie.

Trapr

For those of you not as laid back as one of our favorite KY boys,.........get used to not knowing specifics to stages, more and more matches are doing things this way. As a MD, its a major pain in the butt to get stages out ahead of time for shooters, even rough drafts. I've done it before and had clubs/people that had the ability to practice specifics do it, and I feel it detracts from the "honesty and integrity" of the game. Practice what you feel you need to practice, I have no issues with answering questions in a broad matter, but I do not want people expecting an answer to specifically what to expect. This can lead to others pointing a finger at some saying "why did they know something that I didn't, thats not fair"

Anyone that has shot a match that RNT (Kurt and myself)has RM'd or MD'd knows that any shotgun targets will be calibrated with cyl. bore 1oz, 8's or 7.5's and thats what we will use during the match as well if any one wants a shotgun target calibrated, including plates. It will be done from the closest spot available to shoot the target, so you won't NEED HiVel 4's or 6's to knockover or activate any SG targets. As for rifle I said it earlier in the topic, we will not get stupid with distances but you will need to shoot your rifle from ODD or UNCOMFORTABLE positions, if you feel that means upside down or standing on one foot then by all means practice that. Target sizes will be 4moa or larger. Rifle targets will be calibrated with XM193 55gr fmj from a 20" barrel. On pistol, 50yds is as far as you should need to shoot any puny little pistol round, that we carry for matches, and the target will probably be a fullsize IPSC or 18x24 plate. pistol targets will be calibrated with 9mm.

Jadeslade if you really just want to shoot slugs, I'll let you use your SG for the precision part of any rifle stage, just let me know beforehand so I can watch!!look forward to seeing you Willie.

Trapr

That's funny! I just love shooting slugs. Love shooting flying clays. Love shooting 3 Gun matches. I never pay much attention to drawings and stuff, 'cause they never look the same in person. Your matches are a pleasure, because of those principles you outlined above. One of my favorite videos is Kurt, Stage 8, Larue 2010, -late, just woke up, starts stage with a few instructions, essentially blind, RO talks him through stage and he smokes it. It was great then, great now. On You Tube.

Is there any squadding information available yet?

Squading should be available in about 3 weeks (Ive never seen it posted prior to check in day)

JUST 3 WEEKS TO GO!. I better start making my list and checking it twice. 9pm Thursday night last year Im in the hotel checking my gear bag only to find I aint got no holster or belt! Luckily I live about 1 hour, 15 minutes from Rockcastle and my dear wife met me half way (and boys you can bet she has been a long time letting me live that down)

I hate to break up such vibrant conversation about the match, but the Stages should be posted at rock3gun.com by the end of the day. By the way, we always post stages within a 30 day window of the match, but usually not before. The AR15.COM Rockcastle Pro Am 3 Gun Championship is shaping up to be another epic 3 gun match at "The Rock." Nearly every single match sponsor has signed up to support the match again in full force. Many new companies have also joined the fun, like Mod 1 Firearms, Black Rain Ordinance, Rubber City Armory, Voodoo Tactical, Black Dove Customs, Adams Arms, Pacific Tool and Gauge, Seekins Precision, Vertx, Oakley, The Shooter's Source, and Sig Sauer, just to name a few. Look for cool side matches with great chances to win some great 3 gun gear from Tactical Night Vision Company and AAC, Bushnell, Bud's Gun Shop, and JP Rifles and Hear-Pro, with more to come. It's gonna be fantastic! Can't wait to see all of our friends again.

Like all the options!

Question though. I'll be coming down after work Thursday and reg will prob be closed before I can get there can somebody reg for me?

I'd be curious about this as well. I was planning on driving up early Friday.

Hey tacti-logistical Fe9. What's more important for you to know as a Rockcastle Rookie is that it is in a dry county. Forgot the stages and plan accordingly. :cheers.

This might be the most valuable part of this entire thread. Thank you.

Hey tacti-logistical Fe9. What's more important for you to know as a Rockcastle Rookie is that it is in a dry county. Forgot the stages and plan accordingly. :cheers.

This might be the most valuable part of this entire thread. Thank you.

Technically the Rockcastle complex is “moist”. The Lodge has beer and wine, but if you want the other spirit that Kentucky is so famous for, and the other hard liquors, you'll need to pack it in (or drive 20 miles or so back to Bowling Green)