Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3nd Annual AR15.com Rockcastle Pro Am 3 Gun Championships

I noticed that a few stages had NS steel plates next to threat steel plates. Can anyone share some advice on dealing with this? Stage descriptions specifies that plates should engaged with shot. My guess is use a full or mod-full choke. Any other tricks?

Don't shoot the NS plates :) Or change your angle to the target to minimize NS exposure or change your hold on the target i.e (NS is on left.. hold right half of target)

Eff that!

I'm going for doubles! :lol:

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm toying with the idea of breaking the Garand back out and shooting self-appointed WWII division.... Anybody else up to it?

DanO

I've got a 32" full choke Winchester 97 that I could loan to you for the match, that should make it interesting. You shouldn't have trouble taking down steel and it will teach you not to ride the trigger when working the action.

All of my 30.06 is Greek surplus, magnetic, so the temptation of breaking out a Garand is over for me.

Hurley

I'm toying with the idea of breaking the Garand back out and shooting self-appointed WWII division.... Anybody else up to it?

DanO

That would be a lot of fun.....I haven't shot my Garand a lot since getting it but I do know it shoots about 6" high at 100 so it might be a challenge. I need a taller front sight as I don't have any more adjustment in the back.

Craig

I've got a 32" full choke Winchester 97 that I could loan to you for the match, that should make it interesting. You shouldn't have trouble taking down steel and it will teach you not to ride the trigger when working the action.All of my 30.06 is Greek surplus, magnetic, so the temptation of breaking out a Garand is over for me.Hurley

I appreciate the offer, but I think I'm going to shoot the rare Italian prototype pump gun smuggled back by a family member that served in the European theater... I think it's a Benito Nova or something like that. Even holds 9 shells... Very ahead of its time.

Be sure to bring a few extra rifle rounds, there's going to be a long range steel side match at Thunder Valley. Format and distances are still being tweaked, but shots will be from around 100-300ish yards. Maybe a little further but nothing outrageous. Emphasis will definitely be on the FUN factor!

Sponsors include Hear-Pro, JP Enterprises, Freedom Munitions, JAB Targets and others. I'll post a few more details here in the next week or so.

See you guys soon!

David

Be sure to bring a few extra rifle rounds, there's going to be a long range steel side match at Thunder Valley. Format and distances are still being tweaked, but shots will be from around 100-300ish yards. Maybe a little further but nothing outrageous. Emphasis will definitely be on the FUN factor!

Sponsors include Hear-Pro, JP Enterprises, Freedom Munitions, JAB Targets and others. I'll post a few more details here in the next week or so.

See you guys soon!

David

Sounds great. Looking forward to it. You working the match?

Edited by Ryan N

Gary, Since the stages are out and on the web site, can you make up a hand drawn map of the area and indicate where all the stages are located by AM and Pro? And put it up with the stage descriptions please.

I'm sure some of the folks will want to know where they need to go. Maybe numbered circles for Ams and Squares for Pros.

I noticed that a few stages had NS steel plates next to threat steel plates. Can anyone share some advice on dealing with this?

Aim carefully. :)

Main suggestion is to find a shooting position where you can get as clear a shot as possible on the target plate. If you are running Light Mod at 10--12 yards, it shouldn't be difficult. It's mostly just a penalty for going too fast and being sloppy...as I can attest from experience!

are the no shoot plates scored by falling steel or by BB hits?

I shot a similar setup where if the steel didn't fall it didn't count against you regardless if a few BBs hit it

Surely the NS plate will have to fall, just as a threat plate will have to fall before it counts. If they are counting BB's on the NS plates, then I will be blasting away. ;)

Gary, Since the stages are out and on the web site, can you make up a hand drawn map of the area and indicate where all the stages are located by AM and Pro? And put it up with the stage descriptions please.

I'm sure some of the folks will want to know where they need to go. Maybe numbered circles for Ams and Squares for Pros.

Mark

Here is the stage location map.

Map ProAm 2013.pdf