Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3nd Annual AR15.com Rockcastle Pro Am 3 Gun Championships

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't drive through St.Louiy unless you got at last 2000 rounds of everything and at least 25 friends with the same!

Coming from KC...its an 8+ hour drive when going through STL, but a lot more if I try to miss it.

Having the Mini-Gun mounted on the roof of the Escape this weekend for just this trip. haha

the furthest shot depends on your division? typically we do not get crazy. We try and limit the distances to <300yds for pros and <250yds for ams, ......that said!!! do think that the shots will be "unchallenging". Target range is simply one small part of shot challenge,......... position, target size, and level of exertion will all come in to play.

Typically the further targets are MGM flash type, so you will see 4moa targets. as for the flying clays, it all depends on whether or not we have good qualified clay officials to call hits. I personally do not care for unarbitratable targets. but hey flying clays and pistols sounds pretty interesting.

trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

the furthest shot depends on your division? typically we do not get crazy. We try and limit the distances to <300yds for pros and <250yds for ams, ......that said!!! do think that the shots will be "unchallenging". Target range is simply one small part of shot challenge,......... position, target size, and level of exertion will all come in to play. Typically the further targets are MGM flash type, so you will see 4moa targets. as for the flying clays, it all depends on whether or not we have good qualified clay officials to call hits. I personally do not care for unarbitratable targets. but hey flying clays and pistols sounds pretty interesting. trapr

Off hand without a doubt.

the furthest shot depends on your division? typically we do not get crazy. We try and limit the distances to <300yds for pros and <250yds for ams, ......that said!!! do think that the shots will be "unchallenging". Target range is simply one small part of shot challenge,......... position, target size, and level of exertion will all come in to play.

Typically the further targets are MGM flash type, so you will see 4moa targets. as for the flying clays, it all depends on whether or not we have good qualified clay officials to call hits. I personally do not care for unarbitratable targets. but hey flying clays and pistols sounds pretty interesting.

trapr

Well I've shot flying clays, but flying pistols might be fun to shoot too.

Maybe it's because I've been shooting a few years, maybe it's because I've been shooting Gary Welborn's matches a few years, maybe it's because I'm just an easy going, laid back Kentucky boy... But is it that important to see a rough, inaccurate sketch of a stage before you get to a match? Let alone 4 weeks or more before the match?

2012 round count:

PRO--> 88 rifle, 98 pistol, 80 shot, & 6 slugs for a total of 272 rds
AM---> 80 rifle, 74 pistol, 75 shot, & 3 buckshot for a total of 232 rds.

IIRC 2011 was similar. Bring extra (I like to have 1.5 to 2 X the count for any match just in case) and I bet you'll be covered.

Again...this was the 2012 round count...

Maybe it's because I've been shooting a few years, maybe it's because I've been shooting Gary Welborn's matches a few years, maybe it's because I'm just an easy going, laid back Kentucky boy... But is it that important to see a rough, inaccurate sketch of a stage before you get to a match? Let alone 4 weeks or more before the match?

maybe im just paranoid with this being my first big match.

The only reason I want to see whats in the stages is because i dont want to pack my entire gun safe. I want to ship my ammo to the hotel within the next week or two and if i need slugs I want to make sure I throw them in, or if there are some spinners i want to pack enough high velocity birdshot. will 32 rounds in caddies be enough?

should I practice shooting my rifle upside down? how about weakhand reloading? Knowing silly stuff like that will help me be the most prepared.

Here is what we have for round count. Keep in mind it is draft. I don't want to say final until the correct amount of steel is on site and the RMs have reviewed the stages. There are no aerial clays, slugs, or buckshot in either match. Slings will not be need. The shooter will have options on which gun to use on some tgts. It's not a new concept but is good one. When the shooter looks at a stage a decision must be made not only on how to proceed but also in some cases which gun to use or when to transition.

It's always a good idea to bring twice the ammo you think you need to any match. Remember if a magnet sticks to a rifle bullet leave it at home. Figuring 1 rd per steel and 2 per paper:

The Am rd count is rifle ~80 to 55, pistol ~110 to 90, and shot ~55 to 45.

The Pro rd count is Rifle ~100 to 75, pistol ~140 to 80, and shot ~100 to 60.

Here is what we have for round count. Keep in mind it is draft. I don't want to say final until the correct amount of steel is on site and the RMs have reviewed the stages. There are no aerial clays, slugs, or buckshot in either match. Slings will not be need. The shooter will have options on which gun to use on some tgts. It's not a new concept but is good one. When the shooter looks at a stage a decision must be made not only on how to proceed but also in some cases which gun to use or when to transition.

It's always a good idea to bring twice the ammo you think you need to any match. Remember if a magnet sticks to a rifle bullet leave it at home. Figuring 1 rd per steel and 2 per paper:

The Am rd count is rifle ~80 to 55, pistol ~110 to 90, and shot ~55 to 45.

The Pro rd count is Rifle ~100 to 75, pistol ~140 to 80, and shot ~100 to 60.

Thats what i needed to know right there!

Thanks Gary!